Hide
6 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Skipping the Tutorial Fight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Echo Blackthorne
msg tools
Our group just had a huge blowout on this topic tonight when we started a new campaign via the "Game Over" event page on 179 - Skipping the First Story Showdown.

I will try to summarize the situation as best as I can. (I'm terrible with this really blush)

We're running a 4 player campaign, just started over tonight and wanted to skip the initial showdown due to lack of time. We rolled a 9 which gave us the "Set your population to 10. The group gains 4 basic resources and 4 White Lion resources."

Heres where the argument flared up. Since we didn't roll low enough to archive founding stones, I've always played my solo games (Where I roll to skip the First Story Showdown) as if this roll were a simulation of the fight. I collect my resources and give one hunt xp to each of the 4 founding survivors.

The fight still happens but "Behind the Scenes". You still get the 4 Lion & 4 Basic resources, these don't come out of thin air after all. They have to come from somewhere. Rolling low enough on this chart gives you a lower starting population and you have to archive some founding stones. Why would these stones be gone if they weren't used?

So this is where the argument comes into play. Long winded as this was, that was the thought process behind the decision.

I'd like some other opinions on the matter - do you give the hunt xp? Have you never thought about it?

If someone knows where a definitive answer is I'd love to see it - otherwise I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmb
There may not be a true answer, but without the risk of permanent injuries, we dont gain the XP if we skip the fight instead claiming to have found a dead white lion at the foot of the lantern hoard. Seems even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I'm personally confused as to why it is even an issue. Although, I do have one PITA rules lawyer in one of my gaming groups so can see it potentially coming up in future ;-)

My opinion - I'm in agreement with you. The resources were gained through fighting the WL, the founding stones (potentially) lost due to...being used in a conflict... so I'd give the hunt XP for sure.

Even if you are finding a dead WL, it is called "hunt Xp" right? so the process of hunting a quarry. Not "show down XP". Just how I see it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think hunt XP was a thing that got introduced until the 1st actual hunt, yeah?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We just do what we managed to consistently get: archive a stone, one strength up, no one dead, get standard rewards, then roll as if we'd finished. We don't get any injuries, but don't get any extra resources, so call it a wash since that fight's boring by now.

Edit: the reasoning- the roll for skipping is kind of punishing, considering it's just plain worse everything than if you'd played through, so we didn't feel it's necessary to punish the group for being bored of the opening scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.