Popular Tags: [View All]
John Heder
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been browsing through some of the session reports and reviews posted for Railroad Tycoon - not that I need any convincing that I would like the game - I know I like it and want it, but its price has always been a bit daunting.

But I find myself wondering how some of these guys can play the game the way they do, and thinking I'd like to play some of these people as I think I'd do pretty darn good.

One guy posted that the very first bid for first player went up to $15 just to get a card and then the 2nd player also grabbed a card leaving the third player the opportunity to build track first and then get the 1st delivery bonus. He probably got it cheap too. Some of those cards are nice, but when you go first build first. This is to get the primo delivery spot staked out and also to get the 1st delivery bonus.

Now I can understand another guy that said that one of the cards out was the immediately take 2 actions card which is worth bidding up as it does allow for the person who get it to build first and maybe do something else and then still get to deliver first for the bonus. But that is the only card worth grabbing if you win the bid to become first player on the first turn. In my opinion. Often with some of the people I've played with, they actually remove this card as they feel it is just too powerful.

Another player talked about running out of 1 point deliveries rather quickly. If you are spending all your time making 1 point deliveries and laying track only to make 1 point deliveries then you deserve to not win. And in the games I've played, those players that don't upgrade rather quickly usually get left in the dust.

Go for those bonuses, baby!

1st three link delivery, first player to get a level 4 engine. Those bonuses along with the 1st delivery are always there (until someone gets them of course) and they make it worth taking an extra share or two at the beginning of the game to shoot up on the point/income track. The rest of the big point bonus cards can be somewhat fickle. You may never see the service bounty to Jacksonville or Deluth or one of the links you hope comes up.

But if you get the first three link delivery that also means you are able to make three point deliveries, the first player to get a level four engine means that goes up to 4 points a delivery. Sure you have to get the track or share points, but it is 4-6 point deliveries that win the game and those bonuses only encourage players to get to that point quickly. Usually I only see one or two players ever go above 5 or 6 level engines - which often makes everyone else nervous and start to try and steal some of your 5 or 6 point deliveries by delivering them theirselves for 2 or 3 points. But the benefits of getting trying to get those bonuses are worth it. Often even if you don't actually get the bonuses - you are still able to make 3 and 4 point deliveries to move up that way.

Honestly, the game can be a tense race for those important bonuses right at the start of the game with bid wars for that 1st player spot, or for upgrading your engine and laying the right track in the right spot, or you can take a leisurely stroll through the game looking at all the pretty colors on the board.

I'm sure both can be tremendously enjoyable, but in RRT the point is to be that tycoon. Bonuses rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only card I would take with the first action is a red city hotel, and then only if it were surrounded by convenient red cubes. And then, even the NY hotel is dangerous because by the time you act again, 1-2 players will be competing with you in the NE, and may be able to avoid shipping those red cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John, why would you want to play the people you're sure you can beat instead of playing with sharks and really testing your mettle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone who hasn't played yet, you've definitely picked up on the most important strategy. I'd play you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
discoking7 wrote:
For someone who hasn't played yet, you've definitely picked up on the most important strategy. I'd play you.

Um... he HAS played.

TrimChris wrote:
John, why would you want to play the people you're sure you can beat instead of playing with sharks and really testing your mettle?

I think he was being facetious, just pointing out how he thought the play he's read about is suboptimal. I happen to agree with John there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.