Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a 7-year search, a missing German U-boat is lost no longer

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/after-a-7-year-search-a-mis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story! Thanks for posting this. My family vacations in the outer banks quite often and it really striking to think that there were massive naval battles taking place there not so long ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
mb
The wreck was found in 2014. This is the just first time is has been photographed.

From the article: "One of the things we're looking for is what happened to the crew" ... "Did they try to get out the escape hatches? Did the ship flood catastrophically? Were they on the seabed for some period of time, disabled with air still in the sub?"

721 feet (220 meters) is right around VIIC test depth and just above crush depth (250+ meters). If the pressure hull was breached the crew died by drowning; if not breached, and the sub was unable to surface, asphyxiation. (No escape at that depth - even if you could open a hatch, the water pressure would kill you.)

FYI Here is a description of what happened when a u-boat went too deep.
http://uboat.net/forums/read.php?3,39119,39159#msg-39159
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This is the only look at me you will get. The first hint the bad guy gets that I am nearby will be the sound of the torpedo coming out of his baffles with high up-doppler.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that link. Stuff I never wanted to think much about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.