Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen many people say the first sceniario has multiple layouts, but have found little information on how many different layouts the other 3 scenarios have. Also, how much do the last 3 scenario maps change if you have 1st edition tiles? Map Variation is important to my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Atm. the scenarios have the following available map layouts to my knowledge

1. 4 maps (6 with expansions)
2. 1 map
3. 1 map (2 with expansions)
4. 1 map (comprised of several)

I hope this is just because they had to hurry and that we will se updates with added maps and events for the 3 longer scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakthalos wrote:

2. 1 map

I hope this is just because they had to hurry and that we will se updates with added maps and events for the 3 longer scenarios.

Thanks for the information. Yeah it seems like they could easily have 2-3 layouts of each map and 4-5 layouts of each map with first scenario tiles. I hope they add some more variation too! Seems like it's still worth getting though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually interesting for me since in my four-ish playthroughs, I have not used a single 1st ed tile (I've ticked off Call of the Wild and base 1st in the menu, but not forbidden alchemy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drakthalos wrote:

2. 1 map

Thanks from me as well, I wonder though if it isn't the maps that change then what does for scenarios 2-4? I've only been able to play them once so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
This is actually interesting for me since in my four-ish playthroughs, I have not used a single 1st ed tile (I've ticked off Call of the Wild and base 1st in the menu, but not forbidden alchemy).

1 of the 1st edition variants in 'Cycle of Eternity' requires 'Forbidden Alchemy', so you won't get that one. That means there's only one 1st edition variant out of 5 total possibilities you could get so you don't have good odds. If you really want to play it you could keep starting the scenario over until it shows the 1st edition Lobby as the first tile.

'Call of the Wild' is not currently used at all, unsurprisingly given its wilderness setting.

By my reckoning the 4 scenarios available to date don't even use every 2nd edition tile.

vincentdante wrote:
Drakthalos wrote:

2. 1 map

Thanks from me as well, I wonder though if it isn't the maps that change then what does for scenarios 2-4? I've only been able to play them once so far.

Well, you can experiment for yourself but largely the changes are along the lines of 'the bedroom may contain either a crowbar or a machete' and the odd point of interaction moving around the map (the old drunk in 'Escape from Innsmouth' for example).

lordevilthefirst wrote:
Drakthalos wrote:

2. 1 map

Thanks for the information. Yeah it seems like they could easily have 2-3 layouts of each map and 4-5 layouts of each map with first scenario tiles. I hope they add some more variation too! Seems like it's still worth getting though.

The thing is that some of the scenarios have very precise events. 'Escape from Innsmouth' for example has a monster that moves very specifically around the map with events triggering when it passes certain landmarks. Obviously this would be massively more difficult to programme with variable maps. I will say that although I like map variation not all scenarios demand it. It depends what is appropriate for the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Fatesadvent wrote:

First game we played on the 1st scenario, the nefarious end game stuff was happening on the roof, which is a 1st ed. Forbidden Alchemy tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing in the discussions about variation that I hadn't seen mentioned was that the scenarios can spawn different monster types, right? While we've only done scenario 1 twice, the layout, monsters, and most items were entirely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
locusshifter wrote:
One thing in the discussions about variation that I hadn't seen mentioned was that the scenarios can spawn different monster types, right? While we've only done scenario 1 twice, the layout, monsters, and most items were entirely different.

Yes, correct. As the topic was about 'map variation' I didn't mention it, but all of the scenarios have the capacity to spawn 1st edition monsters if enabled.

This is cool but it's not quite so game changing as it might sound however... functionally they are all very similar. There's pretty much no difference save cosmetic between Cultists and Dark Druids for example. It's nice but doesn't greatly affect a scenario.

As you will see, scenario 1 is far from typical when it comes to variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:

I also had not used a single 1st ed tile through 3 of the scenarios - until I played Shattered Bonds. I saved that scenario for last, and nearly all the tiles were from the 1st ed. IIRC it used only two 2nd ed tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Mantuano
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:

The thing is that some of the scenarios have very precise events. 'Escape from Innsmouth' for example has a monster that moves very specifically around the map with events triggering when it passes certain landmarks. Obviously this would be massively more difficult to programme with variable maps. I will say that although I like map variation not all scenarios demand it. It depends what is appropriate for the scenario.

Some of the rooms not on the 'racetrack' that the monster uses are different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.