Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is a local Hasting's that is going out of business, and are clearing off some base sets. I am hesitant to pull the trigger and pick this up, even at clearance, because it looks fairly expansion dependent to get into the game.

How much should I realistically plan on spending to even get into the game outside of the base set?

Keep in mind I would probably be a very casual player to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are cheap enough, buy two base sets and you could play casually once or twice a month. Anything else you add would be up to you based on how involved you and your opponents choose to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonic Bunny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Armada is a good, fun game. You should get it!

You need the equivalent of two base sets to play a satisfying game I think. In future you might need to spend, say, $60 retail (cheaper online) more for another admiral for each faction (these are found in capital ships from each faction), and there are at least three options for either side at this writing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to play casually, only buy the core and ships/fighters from waves I and II. Have at least 2 of the small ships and one expansion pack of the medium and large ships plus 2 fighter packs for each side.
That's $367.35 from CSI. If that's too steep, cut back to one of every ship/fighter expansion + the core.

From there you could think about a second medium ship for each side (AF Mk II and VSD).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For casual gaming, first, buy the ships you'd like to play. Then you will decide the way you ll play the game, and which expansions you ll need
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:
If you are going to play casually, only buy the core and ships/fighters from waves I and II. Have at least 2 of the small ships and one expansion pack of the medium and large ships plus 2 fighter packs for each side.
That's $367.35 from CSI. If that's too steep, cut back to one of every ship/fighter expansion + the core.

From there you could think about a second medium ship for each side (AF Mk II and VSD).

No way. All you'd need is an MC-80, Star Destroyer, AFMKII and fighter packs both sides and Rogues and Villains and you'd be sweet with one core set. You would have enough to play 400 points on either side and have a bunch of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed playing with the core set, and at a discount is worth getting just to see if you would like the game. ESPECIALLY if you are a Star Wars fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Risor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont worry just buy the core set and somethings else you feel you want to buy. After you tried it you will not longer be a casual gamer no more.
And you wil soon buy everything.
See you soon on the other side Admiral and welcome into the family from all us Armada fans :-) :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember this caveat: Armada is not cheap now that FFG have decided to disallow discounting on the RRP of all their products. So... I have stopped buying their stuff and am happily done with purchasing anything else Armada (the last of my FFG stuff which will remain in my collection along with TI3 only).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG hasn't prohibited discounting, they just limited the amount. I still see Armada listed at 25% off in one store, and close to that in others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Jen
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just randomly walked into a store and bought the base (at full price) and a number of expansion ships at around 35% discount. Total cost was a bit shy of US$200, for Base Set (Frigate, Corvette, Victory Star Destroyer plus six squadrons of TIE Fighters and four squadrons of X Wings), plus Mon Calamari Liberty, Mon Calamari Home One, Interdictor Cruiser, and Imperial Star Destroyer.

I'm in no rush to actually learn the rules of the game. The ships just look cool on my display table...

I may also get the starfighter expansions, as I've always loved those from the X Wing and TIE Fighter games. I've heard about 3D-printed custom starfighters too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
Also remember this caveat: Armada is not cheap now that FFG have decided to disallow discounting on the RRP of all their products. So... I have stopped buying their stuff and am happily done with purchasing anything else Armada (the last of my FFG stuff which will remain in my collection along with TI3 only).

Price never changed in my area, it was never cheap to begin with, what miniatures game is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
philtrees wrote:

Price never changed in my area, it was never cheap to begin with, what miniatures game is?

Online you could buy it at 30 per cent cheaper than it is now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
FFG hasn't prohibited discounting, they just limited the amount. I still see Armada listed at 25% off in one store, and close to that in others.

To be more precise, they didn't limit discounts, they just jacked up prices on online retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hooten
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
You mean how many core sets right? 3 to get a full games worth of 400 points. Which is about the minimum to invest about 300 dollars in this game. Even then you have barely started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hooten
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Right get on eBay plenty of people are dropping the game so you can get pretty much anything at 75% off new prices. With exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greyfox78659 wrote:
You mean how many core sets right? 3 to get a full games worth of 400 points. Which is about the minimum to invest about 300 dollars in this game. Even then you have barely started.

You bumped a 5 month old thread to give out false recommendations, because you are selling your collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.