Subject: Fan-made scenario systems! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Yoder
United States
Greenwood
Delaware
flag msg tools
My mind is exploding with ideas for the scenario system in Captain Sonar, and I just had to share them here. I'd like to compile a list of all the fan-made suggestions for this system and build a community of playtesters to try these out and tweak them to make them better. All of these are currently untested, but I am planning to try as many of them as possible at our game group this Friday and report back. Please feel free to add your own ideas in the comments, and I'll plan to add them to this post. Also, feel free to suggest better names for these systems. Here goes:

Tractor beam: Announce a direction. The other team's captain must either move their ship in that direction or take 1 damage (does not count as a normal move, so the first mate and engineer do not need to check off their systems).

Jammers: The other team's radar operator must immediately completely erase their transparency.

Speed boost: Once activated, your sub can always move one or two spaces, until your opponent activates the same system; then they steal the ability from you.

Guided Torpedo: Your sub stays where it is. Your announced moves now apply to the missile, which you guide with a dotted line until you choose to detonate it. Each time you move the missile, your first mate and engineer must check off a system and say "OK" as usual. A direct hit does 2 damage, an indirect hit does 1 damage (exactly like mines and torpedoes). Be careful: when you detonate this, the enemy radio operator can track it back to your current position!)

Island hopper: You can move through islands. One move takes you all the way from one side of the island to the other (you never stop on the island itself). Once activated, continues to work until you activate another system.

Advanced radar: The other team has to say their direction twice. Once activated, continues to work until you activate another system.

Sealed bulkhead: Name a direction. Your engineer may ignore damage in that section of the ship. Once activated, continues to work until you activate another system.

Shield bubble: draw a "bubble" around a 5x5 area that includes your current location, and as long as your sub is within the bubble, it takes one less damage from torpedoes. The bubble disappears when you launch torpedoes.

Mine hacker: detonate all enemy mines (the other team must tell you where they were).

Minesweeper: Announce a sector orthoganally adjacent to yours. All enemy mines in that sector immediately detonate. (Caution: not advisable when on the edge of that sector!)

Saboteur: Announce red, green, yellow or nuclear. The enemy engineer must immediately mark a corresponding system.

Double agent: Announce your current row and column. The other team's engineer must mark off two systems each move. Continues to work until you activate a mine or torpedo.

Rudderbot: The enemy captain cannot move the same direction twice in a row. Continues to work until you activate another system.

Homing torpedo: Announce a row and column location up to 4 spaces away. If it's a direct hit, it does 1 damage. If not, the enemy captain must put an "H" on that spot, and after each move must move the homing torpedo (with a dotted line) towards his sub (he chooses horizontal or vertical movement, if there's a choice). If it moves onto their location, they take 1 damage. The homing torpedo can be destroyed by a torpedo or mine.

Freeze ray: Announce 3 consecutive rows or columns that include your location. (Example EFG, or 567). If the enemy ship is also in one of those 3, they must immediately surface without announcing their sector or erasing their engineering board.

Radiation cannon: same as above, except forces them to mark off 3 nuclear symbols instead of surfacing.

Overclock: (charge 6). Your first mate must charge two systems between each move. Once activated, continues to work until you activate a red system.

Fiber optics: Your circuits auto repair when 3 out of the 4 systems are marked. One of the marked systems must be in the "east" quadrant. Once activated, continues to work until you activate mines or torpedoes.

Repair bots: Activate this system instead of surfacing. Works exactly like normal surfacing, except you only have to secure two sections of the ship instead of 4.

Razer wire: Show the other team your captain's map. If they currently occupy any space you have passed through, they take one damage.

Communications jammers: The enemy team may only use words to activate systems or words from the following list: North, south, east, west, OK, stop, "[X] system's down.", (and the names of systems).

Sentries: Announce a row and column in your or an orthogonally adjacent sector. The opponent captain must put an "S" on that spot. Whenever they move next to or onto an "S," they must loudly say "BEEP!"

Sentry mine: Announce a row and column in your or an orthogonally adjacent sector. The opponent captain must put an "S" on that spot. If they move next to an "S," it blows up and they take 1 damage.

Buoyancy field: Announce a row and column in your or an orthogonally adjacent sector. Both captains must draw a "bubble" around the 9 spots with that spot at the center. Whenever a sub enters such a bubble, they must immediately surface, and both captains erase the bubble.

Repulsor field: (charge 2 or 3) Announce a row and column in your or an orthogonally adjacent sector. Both captains and radio operators must draw an “R” on that spot. That spot is treated exactly like an island, except it can be destroyed by a mine or torpedo.

Hologram: Do not announce this system’s activation. When you choose to activate it, simply begin using a dotted line instead of a solid one. Your sub does not move while the hologram is active (except for with the silence system). All moves apply to your hologram and its dotted line. All weapons and the silence system are activated from your sub’s current location. All sonar and drones questions are answered with your hologram’s location. If your hologram takes damage, announce “hologram destroyed,” erase the dotted line and proceed moving your sub normally.

Torpedo Countermeasures: (by kairaven) This will be a limited defensive system that only works against torpedo. Mines cannot be countered by this system. When enemy fires a torpedo at you, you may deploy Countermeasures if your system is charged and available (standard engineering system checks apply)but there are two levels of the Countermeasure system: at 4+ charge, you can negate an Indirect Enemy Torpedo hit. Captain says "Deploy Countermeasures! Detonation Avoided!", Captain may also use this as a bluff even when the sub is not in the detonation area. Say the same thing. At full charge (6) you can reduce a Direct Enemy Torpedo hit damage by 1. Captain says "Deploy Full Countermeasures! Partial damage taken!"

Sector control: (by sevventh) Announce "Controlling sector [your team's current sector]." Charge 6. Once all sectors have been controlled, the team with the most sectors wins!

Laser mines: (by Martino Chiacchiera) Works like mines, except instead of the 3x3 grid, laser mines explode in the row and column. 2 damage to a submarine on the same spot as the mine and 1 damage to all submarines in the same row or column! Islands, however, block the explosion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aljo Martinez
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the Jammers, Guided Missle, and Mine Spy ideas. Advanced Radar sounds like it would be more confusing to your Radio Operator than helpful. In a similar fashion, wouldn't (Name needed!) keep you from auto-repair if you activate it at the wrong time?

My group has been trying to think up some good ones, too. I mentioned this in another thread, but my favorite one creates an alternate win condition. The scenario system would be called Sector Control, and when you use it, you announce "I now control Sector (whatever sector you're in)." The system will use require all 6 meter slots to be actvated. If you control all the sectors on the map, or the most sectors in a timed game (probably best to play timed), your team wins! We haven't tried it yet, but we likely will next time we meet up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yoder
United States
Greenwood
Delaware
flag msg tools
Sevventh wrote:
I really like the Jammers, Guided Missle, and Mine Spy ideas. Advanced Radar sounds like it would be more confusing to your Radio Operator than helpful. In a similar fashion, wouldn't Sealed Bulkhead keep you from auto-repair if you activate it at the wrong time?

My group has been trying to think up some good ones, too. I mentioned this in another thread, but my favorite one creates an alternate win condition. The scenario system would be called Sector Control, and when you use it, you announce "I now control Sector (whatever sector you're in)." The system will use require all 6 meter slots to be actvated. If you control all the sectors on the map, or the most sectors in a timed game (probably best to play timed), your team wins! We haven't tried it yet, but we likely will next time we meet up!

I think you're right about the advanced radar. Sealed Bulkhead would not keep you from auto-repair, because it says you may ignore damage (you don't have to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
mbmbmbmbmb
christopheryoder wrote:
(Name needed!):

Armored Shell
Closed Bulkhead
Sealed Bulkhead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome, Chris!
(thanks for the tip)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yoder
United States
Greenwood
Delaware
flag msg tools
Sevventh wrote:

This is brilliant! I'm adding it to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nit-picky, but might I suggest "Homing Torpedo" in lieu of "Guided Missile"? Really like the concept of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yoder
United States
Greenwood
Delaware
flag msg tools
razor367 wrote:
Nit-picky, but might I suggest "Homing Torpedo" in lieu of "Guided Missile"? Really like the concept of this one.

This.

Love it. The name was a result of the fact that I stole the idea for this system from my favorite weapon from the computer game, Liero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just some thoughts...

Scenario system „Snorkel“:
Once per game the Captain is allowed to say "SNORKEL".
The engineer erases all breakdowns.
During the next three (five?) turns the submarine is able to move as described in the rules and also the First Mate, Engineer and Radio Operator handle their duties as described in the rules. BUT: During those next three (five?) turns the submarine (surfaced to periscope depth) is not able to ACTIVATE any system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Sparrow
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Chain Mines: Any explosive detonated within range of another explosive also detonates the next explosive.

Ramming Nose: The captain declares they are using their ramming nose in a straight line up to 3 spaces. If the sub passes through a point occupied by the opposing team's sub, the opposing team takes damage. Idk on the amount of damage. This could be used along with torpedos to take someone out really quickly.

Seismic Anomaly: The captain of the sub declares they are inducing a seismic Anomaly on any one island. If the opposing sub is within one space of the island, they take a damage.

Turret Sentry: A captain can announce and place a turret on any island. The turret can only fire toward water, and whenever the opposing sub passes within range of the turret, the turret punches a row of holes in their sub, and they must take water damage to one system in each direction.

Psychological Warfare: When activated, the captain can declare a trigger word (This cannot be a word essential to play, such as a direction or the word stop, ect). If the radio operator hears anyone on the opposing team say the trigger word, they can immediately yell stop and chose a job on the opposing team to engage in psychological warfare. The radio operator opens private communications and guides someone I into making incorrect choices. If the engineer is chosen, two systems of the radio operator's choice must be marked off. If the first mate is chosen, the first mate must erase 5 single charges of the radio operator's choice. If the captain is chosen, he is deemed unfit for command for the next 15 movements, and the first mate must take over his duties. If the radio operator is chosen, he must erase any mines they have kept track of and the last 7 movements of the enemy team. (I just made a bunch of stuff up. This can be heavily tweaked)

Laughing Gas: The captain declares that a hidden canister of laughing gas has been detonated within the enemy sub. Each member of the sub must tell a full joke before resuming their duties. No two jokes can be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg Aleksandrov
Ukraine
Nikolaev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a proposal to include scenarios with both positive effect and negative. Get them randomly when you activate scenario system. Sorry bad english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
msg tools
mbmbmb
I realise this is an old thread but I just came across it and I am actually very excited by a lot of the ideas here. A thought on how to implement it would be to create a deck of cards that each had 2-3 different systems on, one that costs 2-3 charges, one that costs 4 and 1 that costs 6 and before each game the deck would be shuffled and a card drawn to determine which scenario systems were available for that game. Obviously, you could just have 1 big deck of cards with each system on, but then I think that some of the suggested ones won't work well together and others will, so I'd rather pick 2-3 that do go well together.

My one concern with some of these is that it is already a little hard to keep track of everything going on, especially for the captain, and some of the ones that are 'active until systems X,Y or Z are used' might be quite complicated, and easy to forget to terminate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
... and before each game the deck would be shuffled and a card drawn to determine which scenario systems were available for that game. ...

This is genius, especially with 3 different options per card - BUT I would have each team's First Mate draw a different card, AND a new one after the old one is used (and discarded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.