Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this in the mail today along with Runesaga, and had to give it a solo play. Wow. I really enjoyed it. I wanted to get a sense of people's scores as they try the solo mode to see if we can get a bit of a baseline going. I randomly drew the Watchman and the Hero. I ended up with a final score of 49, getting the lower Captain bonus from the Watchman (built 3 outposts for three VP...would've gotten four VP from the Hero).

I really like how quick this is to set up and play. I'll be interested to hear others' thoughts on the solo mode as well as your scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Butler
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played a solo game Monday night and drew the Barbarian and Shield Maiden captain cards and ended up finishing with 43 points! Only got 2 points from the Shield Maiden where as I would have scored 6 from the Barbarian! It was like Battleship circa the Viking age in my game! Sinking boats everywhere! Only lost 2 Vikings though and that made life more difficult with just 5 Vikings. Very fun though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely following this thread. Wish I kept all my scores from when the game was in testing. I'll have to have a few games to see how I go. I have a feeling my highest score was around 60 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
I am definitely following this thread. Wish I kept all my scores from when the game was in testing. I'll have to have a few games to see how I go. I have a feeling my highest score was around 60 though.

It's great to hear that you'll be following this Shem. I've really enjoyed every game in the series, but I'm likely to play this the most because of the ability to play solo. I'm actually encouraged that your top score was in the 60 range...it gives me something to shoot for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first game this evening I drew the Cartographer and the Archer. The Cartographer ended with 39 points and the Archer got 19, so my score is 19. Like someone else mentioned, it would be nice if high score scenarios or games would rate scores so you have some idea of how good or poorly you did right out of the box as it were. I expect I did poorly! But had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
In my first game this evening I drew the Cartographer and the Archer. The Cartographer ended with 39 points and the Archer got 19, so my score is 19. Like someone else mentioned, it would be nice if high score scenarios or games would rate scores so you have some idea of how good or poorly you did right out of the box as it were. I expect I did poorly! But had fun.

Wow, that's quite a disparity between the two scores! My Captain bonus difference was quite small. I may have been lucky in drawing two Captains that had some element of Outpost building to them. This is actually one of the elements of the solo game that I like the most, in that it can force you to diversify your strategy to an extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played two solo games:

Barbarian/Tyrant - 69 VP
Shieldmaiden/Queen - 75 VP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:

Barbarian/Tyrant - 69 VP

I've got some work to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules again, more carefully, and I think I understand the solo scoring better now. The idea is to add up all of the regular scores for both captains, but only add in the captain's bonus for the captain who scores the least. Is that correct?

If so, my first play gave me a total of 53.
I played again this morning, drawing the Hero and the Tyrant randomly. I tried to maximize both, and since they each got extra points for raiding settlements and I also paid attention to the Hero's other requirements for bonus points I was able to do pretty well, I think. Neither did much collecting of livestock. They both ended with the same Captain's bonus scores (4 VP each). Overall total of regular VP and lowest Captain's bonus added up to 70 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
I read the rules again, more carefully, and I think I understand the solo scoring better now. The idea is to add up all of the regular scores for both captains, but only add in the captain's bonus for the captain who scores the least. Is that correct?

If so, my first play gave me a total of 53.
I played again this morning, drawing the Hero and the Tyrant randomly. I tried to maximize both, and since they each got extra points for raiding settlements and I also paid attention to the Hero's other requirements for bonus points I was able to do pretty well, I think. Neither did much collecting of livestock. They both ended with the same Captain's bonus scores (4 VP each). Overall total of regular VP and lowest Captain's bonus added up to 70 points.

Yes, that's correct. You add up the total points as per normal, and add the lowest Captain's bonus. That's a great score!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks, Mike!

I guess the Hero and Tyrant kind of worked well in conjunction, in the sense that their goals were similar enough I could concentrate on those aspects. It will be interesting to see how other captains work and whether some of them also work well in conjunction. Or if I just got lucky this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suspect I am playing incorrectly as I scored 86 and don't feel particularly good at it. I actually thought I had scored 92 but realised one of my outposts was illegally placed. My captain score was only 2.

Can I raid a settlement by unloading Vikings from a longship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archer/Cartographer - 79
I completed 11 and 9 tile islands (almost made the larger uncompletable, had to wait for the largest land settlement to show up) so I scored the Archer for 6 pts. I picked up about 20 pts from settlements and all 20 from outposts. I probably could have gotten in the low 80's if I hadn't tried to return any livestock (3pts) and instead focused on dropping single vikings on as many islands as possible.

Archer/Watchman - 71
Right away I knew my captain score would be 5 so I just had to focus on making an outpost 5 tiles away. I missed out on a lot of settlement raids due to distance and once having pirates kill one of my vikings so I had to go back to bring more. Then on the last turn I had a 50/50 shot at another Valkyrie and missed it. The last two turns I didn't even bother placing tiles because I was working in the middle of the board.

Next time I want to focus on completing islands, see if I can get 12 islands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:

Barbarian/Tyrant - 69 VP

Excuse me, mr cheater, I do believe the rulebook says to remove the scout and queen captain cards for solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caught red-handed! I may have scored higher in that case. Pretty sure I only scored 3VP off the Queen, but around 6-7VP for the Shieldmaiden. Clearly I need to pay more attention to my own rulebooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
Caught red-handed! I may have scored higher in that case. Pretty sure I only scored 3VP off the Queen, but around 6-7VP for the Shieldmaiden. Clearly I need to pay more attention to my own rulebooks.

It's ok, you've made 3 solid games in this trilogy, you get a pass...

this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walked in the house and this was waiting. Just finished a solo game having randomly drawn the Shieldmaiden/Cartographer. I overlooked the part in the rule book which states all scoring works the same so I was playing it like I had to decide what to give to which character. Glad I made a detailed list of all the stuff so I corrected my score to reflect actual

Shieldmaiden - 54
Cartographer - 59

So solo game first score was 54.

Few more:
Shieldmaiden/Trader - 61
Hero/Archer - 57
Cartographer/Watchman - 71
Shieldmaiden/Barbarian - 79
Trader/Tyrant - 56
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Next time I want to focus on completing islands, see if I can get 12 islands.

Barbarian/Hero - 84
Wow, that worked really well. With no one to fight over islands I could make a bunch of three point islands very close to each other, most were double/triple counting the same tile. 41 pts from 10 islands. One warrior sent to Valhalla and one left in the boat. I didn't even bother placing the livestock tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter saw me play a solo game with the Tyrant and Barbarian.
I made only about 53 points.
She wanted to try it herself (she is turning 6 in a week).
With the same setup she made 74 points and only had a little help from me towards the end.
"Dad, that means it is a kids game" she happily concluded. laugh

After she left I finished a Barbarian and Watchman game at 90 points.
I should probably not tell her...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished first solo game with Archer/Hero: 69. So close to scoring an 11 point island!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Malte
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made today two solo plays.

First I score 47 points with Barbarian and Archer.
Second play I score 46 points with Tyrant and Trader.

Great game! I love it! I have the complete North Sea trilogy with rune saga! The best serie I have ever played!

And I see the expansion proto in essen at the Schwerkraft booth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Malte
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrant/Cartograph - 74 points. Most points I scored with my islands (39 vp).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
heyyouyeahyou 12
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My current high score is 78, with Cartographer and Tyrant. The bonus from each captain was tied at 4 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew B
Australia
Westmead
NSW
flag msg tools
What a coincidence, my highest score is 78 with a random pick of Barbarian and Shieldmaiden. Captain bonuses were 9 and 8 respectively.

This was my second play, my first was 65 with Tyrant Trader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.