United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Based on the rules that state Advisors are refreshed during the Winter Phase:

I may buy an Advisor but am not compelled to ever use it if I choose not to

I may buy an Advisor just to keep my opponent from having it

I might possibly use the same Advisor two or three times in one game session, depending upon how many Winter Phases are gone through

Advisors are most likely meant to be Tactical, not long term strategies as there is a minimum I may keep from game to game

What Advisor to update each game with Retired Advisor stickers SURE IS INTERESTING in terms of what do I want to accomplish in the next game (and am I loading up an Advisor who may be used by another player)

are these thoughts mostly accurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

Based on the rules that state Advisors are refreshed during the Winter Phase:

I may buy an Advisor but am not compelled to ever use it if I choose not to

I may buy an Advisor just to keep my opponent from having it

I might possibly use the same Advisor two or three times in one game session, depending upon how many Winter Phases are gone through

Advisors are most likely meant to be Tactical, not long term strategies as there is a minimum I may keep from game to game

What Advisor to update each game with Retired Advisor stickers SURE IS INTERESTING in terms of what do I want to accomplish in the next game (and am I loading up an Advisor who may be used by another player)

are these thoughts mostly accurate?

Yes to most. There is a *maximum* (of one) adviser kept for the next game, and if you win the game, your choices might be reduced further. (I think you meant to say that, but just in case...)

As to stickers, you might also be thinking longer term. Instead of upgrading your favorite adviser with a +1 early in the campaign, perhaps you might want to wait in the hopes of filling the upgrade slot with a +2 or +3 later...

Or you might think in terms of upgrade denial. You know your opponent wants a raid upgrade, but if you take that retired adviser card, then he has to pick another.

Heck, you might even be able to manipulate the tone of the game through your upgrade choices. By putting raid upgrades on non-raid advisers, you may make easier raids more common, but make hard raids more difficult (because there will be more "raid advisers", but few really strong ones with stacked bonuses)! Not sure how well that would work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
Becq wrote:

As to stickers, you might also be thinking longer term. Instead of upgrading your favorite adviser with a +1 early in the campaign, perhaps you might want to wait in the hopes of filling the upgrade slot with a +2 or +3 later...

We've had that come up a number of times where someone really wanted to bump the explore or raid on an advisor, but chose not to since you have to start with the smaller upgrade before the next and so he chose not to upgrade the one he liked more, instead upgrading a different advisor in hopes that he will get the same one he likes again in a later game and get to put a bigger upgrade on him.

Becq wrote:

Heck, you might even be able to manipulate the tone of the game through your upgrade choices. By putting raid upgrades on non-raid advisers, you may make easier raids more common, but make hard raids more difficult (because there will be more "raid advisers", but few really strong ones with stacked bonuses)! Not sure how well that would work...

Also seen this as well ... we have some, like Sir Charles, the Renowned Explorer who is now up to +5 total explore, whereas we have other's like the Clerk adding +Raid to her economic bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

yes - I realize you keep one Advisor unless you win, then you may or may not be keeping one

one thing I didn't mention was maybe buying an Advisor in round 1 but saving him until round 3 or 4 keeping my opponents off guard a bit

once I started thinking about retired advisors and all the possibilities of upgrades for them - Wow - multiple combinations - really cool!

your idea had occurred to me as well . . . mixing the upgrades on Advisors so instead of making a + 1 raid into a +6 or higher, what if I "diluted" some Advisors - those that help with buying goods, for example, now also have a +2 raid . . . and so forth

I find the combos that may be used much more enticing than just overpowering one Advisor - now that Advisor that buys extra goods, gives you an extra raid, and maybe helps you sail faster becomes an aid that gives you multiple options - exciting!

Of course, the Savage Advisor loaded, to say, + 8 raid would be awesome in some ways as well . . .

I am excited to see how my friends learn to play the Advisors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
Lol, my current favorite advisor I keep after each game is Robert the Patrick, the Savage with +5 tax income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

yes thank you for mentioning your goals with the Savage

You could attempt to keep one Advisor (the same one every time as long as possible) to "customize" his skills to your game plan!

Robert the Patrick
attack
and heavy taxation

what a guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:
Lol, my current favorite advisor I keep after each game is Robert the Patrick, the Savage with +5 tax income.

I would think that the "bonus" enmity would end up being a liability -- or do you not use the Savage for raiding, given that you didn't upgrade his raid value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
Becq wrote:
tjstack wrote:

I would think that the "bonus" enmity would end up being a liability -- or do you not use the Savage for raiding, given that you didn't upgrade his raid value?

Exactly. I have never used him for raiding. I didn't even put the first tax upgrade on him. Someone else did, then one game I ended with him add more tax to him and now he is my most common advisor. Robert the Patrick is not savage in raiding, he is savage in tax collection. Think medieval tax collector version of IRS, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pay your taxes! Or ... hmm, that's a tasty-looking child..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt cramsie
Australia
flag msg tools
Just a reminder (you probably know this already, but...)

Page 10 of the manual:
"After you have finished hiring, refill the forum from the top of the advisor deck."
In the hire advisors or buy treasure phase. So you can deny *specific* advisors to people, but you can't stop them from buying any advisor.

So, the structure that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
lets you purchase as many advisors you want will let you purchase a maximum of 5, since it doesn't refill until you've finished hiring

The question that I have is:
If you gain an advisor outside of the Hire Advisor Phase, either by using an advisor who has an ability to purchase another advisor, or as a reward from the Captain's Booke, do you refill the advisors? Or does it only refill at the end of the next Hire Advisors step? I presume that it refills whenever you stop getting advisors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
memespawn wrote:
Just a reminder (you probably know this already, but...)

Page 10 of the manual:
"After you have finished hiring, refill the forum from the top of the advisor deck."
In the hire advisors or buy treasure phase. So you can deny *specific* advisors to people, but you can't stop them from buying any advisor.

So, the structure that
lets you purchase as many advisors you want will let you purchase a maximum of 5, since it doesn't refill until you've finished hiring

Correct.

memespawn wrote:

The question that I have is:
If you gain an advisor outside of the Hire Advisor Phase, either by using an advisor who has an ability to purchase another advisor, or as a reward from the Captain's Booke, do you refill the advisors? Or does it only refill at the end of the next Hire Advisors step? I presume that it refills whenever you stop getting advisors.

The only place the rules state to refill the forum is after you finish hiring. If you acquire an advisor through other means look at the wording. If it says you can 'hire an advisor' for free or at a discount, then the forum should refill after hiring that advisor, even if it was not at the start of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Greenberg
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Event card P spoiler:

At the end of Round 5, the Whispers Multiply destroyed 2 of the available advisors, leaving only 3 (all undesirable). Everything we've read in this forum indicates that advisors are only refreshed after a "hiring". The player with the astrolabe then started a round, and chose to skip the advisor-hiring phase, and instead choose to not purchase a treasure. The hiring phase never started, so it never finished, so the next player also only got a choice of the 3 crappy advisors. Did we play this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sputnik23 wrote:
Event card P spoiler:

At the end of Round 5, the Whispers Multiply destroyed 2 of the available advisors, leaving only 3 (all undesirable). Everything we've read in this forum indicates that advisors are only refreshed after a "hiring". The player with the astrolabe then started a round, and chose to skip the advisor-hiring phase, and instead choose to not purchase a treasure. The hiring phase never started, so it never finished, so the next player also only got a choice of the 3 crappy advisors. Did we play this correctly?

That's an interesting point. I would have thought that it would happen anyway, at the end of that phase of your turn. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
sputnik23 wrote:
Event card P spoiler:

That's an interesting point. I would have thought that it would happen anyway, at the end of that phase of your turn. But perhaps I'm wrong.

We refilled the advisors after the event card. I agree it's not exactly per the rules, but it seemed to clearly be the intent and considering how everything else is written, we didn't see any reason to be pedantic about it. You can do what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.