Subject: Exact wine order variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Nadolski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Does anyone else play where wine orders have to be exact with the wines you have stored in order to be fulfilled?

I started out playing that way (because I misread the rules and assumed it was played that way). Now after playing correctly I feel that forcing someone to have the exact wine order works great. It did lengthen the game a bit but I find it adds a nice layer of complexity and forces you to really think about what grapes your planting and where they should be planted.

I find by playing the correct rules, I never plow over a field with my yolk. I also never plant more than 2 fields. With the variant I have had to use the yolk more as it is intended (I believe) and also had to have 3 fields a lot in order to effectively deal with orders. You also have to time things very closely so you don't get screwed with someone taking your actions away from you when you are trying to fulfill. Otherwise your wine ages and you can't get it fulfilled. (Makes that yolk even more important)

Thought I would post this and see what you all thought.

Btw, does anyone else find the yolk to be priced way to cheap for the awesome ability it has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The person who taught me read this wrong in the rules as well. They played a couple of games like this and I played one game like this. I did not enjoy it. I prefer to play as it's written in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
The person who taught me read this wrong in the rules as well. They played a couple of games like this and I played one game like this. I did not enjoy it. I prefer to play as it's written in the rules.

Ditto.
I like the flow, the speed of the game. It also thematically seems to make little sense to only be able to fulfill an order when you have exactly the required wine in your cellar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Nadolski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
As far as thematic sense, I always thought that If I wanted a 2008 cabernet, then they gave me a 2006 cabernet (maybe a year that didn't have great weather conditions for that wine), then I wouldn't purchase it. So to me it makes more thematic sense to get exactly what I asked for. Certain years have better growing conditions for grapes that make the wine taste so much better, and collectors buy wine with this very much in mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stępniak
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like variant 3x easier for 0 wine orders tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first taught this game my girlfriend misunderstood and thought that they had to be exact. I kept wondering why she wasn't filling wine orders when she had so much wine. The process was frustrating to her because she might have 2 out of 3 wines at the exact spot and no way to fill an order that season. Then next year it would mess up again.

Once I cleared up how it was the game was much more enjoyable. We find it to be a tight race with the challenge coming from spots being taken, etc.

If you're happy to play this way that's cool, but I know we wouldn't enjoy the game nearly as much if those were the actual rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.