Hide
15 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fortress of Solitude + Power of the Green? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesus Christo
msg tools
So I was playing the game with a friend who had never played before, and he pointed out something that made me question if I had been inadvertently playing wrong this whole time, which would be kind of awkward. So here's what happened:

On a previous turn, I had purchased the Location 'Fortress of Solitude' from the line up. For reference, here's the text of the card:

"Ongoing: When you play your first Super Power on each of your turns, draw a card."

Then, on my next turn I start by playing the Super Power 'Power of the Green', which has the text:

"Put a Location from your discard pile into play.
If you control a Location, +3 Power.
Otherwise, +2 Power."

...and I use it to place 'Fortress of Solitude' into play from my discard pile.

Finally, the next card I play is 'Kick'. The question was does the 'Kick' trigger the 'Fortress of Solitude' and allow me to draw a card? The reason there was confusion was because, to me, I always just assumed the locations only cared about the first trigger card you play since they've been in play.

But, as was pointed out to me, the actual text of the 'Fortress' specifically says "your first", and the 'Kick' was the second Super Power I played in my turn, but the first I played since the Location was in play.

I guess the question I'm trying to ask (in oh so many words) is do these specific Locations look back at your entire turn when checking conditions, or do they only look back for as long as they've been in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your friend is right. The location looks for the first super power you play that turn and kick is your second even if fortress is now in play. It looks at your turn as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be a little more specific. The locations do work once in play. But fortress is specific to the first super power you play on your turn. And kick would not be the first even if fortress was not in play at time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Christo
msg tools
Thank you for the response.

Does anyone else have a second opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
If a card references a specific trigger condition (such as "fist time play" or "at the beginning of your turn") then the card text cannot be activated if the trigger event occurs before the card is played.

There may be an extenuating circumstance due to when FoS was put into play. Since it comes into play due to Power of the Green it may activate off of PotG since the accepted order of play has you check trigger text after a card fully resolves. The question would be is "playing" a card the physical act of putting it into play on the table or the full steps through effect resolution. If the latter, FoS can trigger due to PotG. The rulebook's state "When you play a card, its game text resolves immediately" so take from that what you will.

I am going to defer to the creators on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm unless they consider playing the card the actual act of placing it on the table. Followed by its immediate effects. Then fortress would not go off. But if they consider it played after all effects are used then fortress would go off from power of green.

I've always played that a card is considered played the second it hits the table before effects are done on card.

Creators oh creators where art thou

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You already played your first Super Power of the turn, so your Kick does not trigger the Fortress. The game keeps track of the order (and by that I mean the players).

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is a card considered played as soon as it hits the table or once all immediate effects have taken place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There should not be a difference between "hitting the table" and "all immediate effects taking place." And in this case, there is no difference. You put Power Of The Green on the table, what's the next thing you do? You do what the card says, and in your case, you use it to take Fortress Of Solitude from your discard pile and put into play.

The first Super Power you played that turn is Power Of The Green, no matter how you slice it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
rjburns3 wrote:
The first Super Power you played that turn is Power Of The Green, no matter how you slice it.

We all agree on that. The questions is will Fortress of Solitude trigger off of Power of the Green due to it coming into play before PotG's text finishes resolving and trigger texts being checked/resolved after a card is played.

That is what is being clarified by the idea of what it means for a card to be "played".

Given your response of "There should not be a difference between "hitting the table" and "all immediate effects taking place."" you would most likely be in alignment with FoS triggering off of PotG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was responding to the initial question - there's no way that the Kick triggers Fortress Of Solitude.

The second question is definitely a thornier one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
sirbeefman wrote:
So is a card considered played as soon as it hits the table or once all immediate effects have taken place?

Considered played once it leaves your hand.
The PotG has already been "played" and has "resolved" before FoS enters play.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt! This is why we keep you around lol

Quick question then. Does Power of the Green get the extra power from its text if you have no locations but put one into play with its ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, as you perform the tasks on the card in the order in which they are written.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noice! Thanks Matt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.