$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
So I've always been self-aware of AP, and been just making moves quick and fast if i'm in a position of the board where nothing I do matters to other players.

If I make a move and say in the middle of the next player's turn or the player after that, I notice I could have done it slightly differently, would you be fine with that or are all decisions final.

This is all in the situation/scenario where my action has absolutely zero impact on other players or would it change their own actions. I just simply found a better way to do something later on in the same round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Guilty.

But I've usually done something so stupid the others not only feel sorry for me, but were waiting for me to notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tekshi wrote:
So I've always been self-aware of AP, and been just making moves quick and fast if i'm in a position of the board where nothing I do matters to other players.

If I make a move and say in the middle of the next player's turn or the player after that, I notice I could have done it slightly differently, would you be fine with that or are all decisions final.

This is all in the situation/scenario where my action has absolutely zero impact on other players or would it change their own actions. I just simply found a better way to do something later on in the same round.

If it's a co-op, maybe. If it's an competitive game, I don't think it would be right, especially, if someone else is going. They might be reacting to how you moved and changing your move could possibly change their plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll allow it while learning a game, but if it becomes a habit it gets annoying. I forgot to grab my gold or I should have done this or did I use all my actions... It gets old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bedell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For our group (unless we're all learning something new) we generally make moves final after your turn is over. The issue for us is while it might seem like your move has no impact now, it could very well have rippling effects down the road.

Plus, interrupting other folks' turns slows things down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
In my opinion, you definitely shouldn't change your action after the next player has had their turn. It might not have noticeable impact, but it's annoying, breaks flow, and can confuse the thinking of the other players. However, I am fine with people changing their move before the next player has gone... though that might change if I was playing in tournament settings! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Keep a horse pistol on the table in case someone does this.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Constantine
Canada
flag msg tools
In my group it really depends on context. Is it a new game that we're just learning, or is this an old favourite and you noticed something because of another player's actions? Normally it would fall somewhere in between and we'd probably let you do it. Our game nights are always pretty light, even if we're playing heavier games.

I guess what I'm saying is the group you play with will determine if this is acceptable at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd lose a finger playing with our group for the first infraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally we play that you can change your mind until the next person starts. If it's a new game, we leave it up to the next player if they will let the person change thier move. Beyond that, we just keep playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably have no problem with it. I'm sure I'm going to do something at some point, and ask to take it back too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're usually pretty casual about this in our group unless either the change uses info that wasn't revealed until someone else's turn or it slows the game down too much. At a tournament, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sterner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it's a time factor and the other player(s) should not have to tolerate someone redoing a less than perfect move. Mistakes happen all the time in war, and no one is entitled to undo something "upon further thought", at least after his turn ended. If a move was an egregious error, then in the interest of the game an undo may be allowed. But not an "I'd have preferred to move there instead" kind of move.

Man, my brother is OCD about gaming and if he took any longer to execute his moves I'd go mad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been both the giver and receiver in this situation.
If it's a new game, or someone is new to it, and it doesn't have any impact on the next player's turn, sure. At least the first time or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm fine with it, as long as it doesn't become a habit. Particularly if the person is new to the game (which is usually the case when this does come up.) We're all here to have fun, after all.

That said, the game must be able to be undone relatively easily. I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to take their move back, everyone who did anything since then should also get a do-over (if they want it.) So, if rewinding would take more than a few seconds, or would involve undoing things that leave secret information known (ie: someone else played a card from hand and now everyone will know they have it after the rewind) then I'm opposed. In those cases, live and learn for next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the next player has acted, your move is final in our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm open to my brother and friends having a do-over, but I expect me to suffer the consequences once I've yielded to the next opponent beginning to work out their move. A bit like chess, but not as strict as keeping fingers on anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing I hate more in game.In a learning game fine. Sometimes you have to put your foot down and say you have to own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First timers to a game get a couple Mulligans... Anything more than that I write the session off in my mind.

I much prefer to be asked "what would you do" prior to them f'ing up the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
if we or someone else is learning a game, it doesn't bother me too much.. If we're familiar with a game, just deal with it.. I look at it like playing sports.. you can't recall or re-do a shot in basketball because you didn't choose the optimal spot to shoot from. You just deal with it, and adjust your game accordingly the next time you've got the ball..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My general rule is:

If it's easy to backtrack and before dice are rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this frequently, but yeah, but if the next player starts or announces intentions, cards drawn, dice rolled things pulled out of bags, often money exchanged, then I live with it.

The rule in chess is that if you take the finger off, its moved, next player. If this was the table rule at the start of the game, I'll Just take a moment longer on my turn to prevent the mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lifelesspoet wrote:
I do this frequently, but yeah, but if the next player starts or announces intentions, cards drawn, dice rolled things pulled out of bags, often money exchanged, then I live with it.

The rule in chess is that if you take the finger off, its moved, next player. If this was the table rule at the start of the game, I'll Just take a moment longer on my turn to prevent the mistake.

touch move is such a stupid rule.
I prefer being able to test scenarios until you punch the clock.
I have found it significantly reduces AP if you do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it depends on the game and players.

If I'm playing with a casual group, I'll allow a take back especially at the beginning when the players are learning the rules. After that, if it's not going to drastically alter the game then I still have no problem with it.

When it's with my gaming group, then (again, outside of newbie mistakes when learning a game) I'm completely against take backs. We don't have a hard rule like chess where your move is finalized if your hand leaves your playing piece but once a player has committed his move and the game has continued then there is no going back. Even in co-op games, such as our Arkham Horror campaign, there are no take backs if a "better" strategy is discovered later as it just feels like cheating and I wouldn't feel as if a victory was earned if we weren't being honest with our decisions, mistakes and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like seeing or letting moves be taken back, especially after the game has moved on, slows the game, encourages a lack of consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.