Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no interest in getting into X-Wing, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that I have no interest in the Star Wars theme. It does nothing for me, and I don't care about the ships from that IP.

However, I would be interested if it had a pirate theme, where you were a pirate on the ocean fighting other pirates.

I remember a game that used to be sold in Target, called Pirates of the Spanish Main, which has really neat little cardboard ships you assembled. I never actually played the game, but I did buy a few packs just for the cool pirate ships.

Anyway, does anything like that exist now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Reitman
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am one with the force, the force is with me
badge
wackygamer.com
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/109291/sails-glory

Sails of Glory sort of did it. Not pirates per se but right era. Just pretend they are all pirates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Yes.

And it's already happened.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5012/age-sails-naval-warg...

Wooden Ships and Iron Men is probably the one I hear about the most. You just have to buy miniatures to replace the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But are any of them currently being supported? Do any of them have the quality in miniatures and the like that X-Wing does? That's a big part of it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
The miniatures are better and the games don't really need support since they've been out for years and have countless scenarios and different ships. You just have to go out and buy some miniatures to replace the chits. The miniatures are as good as you want them to be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hayward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming early next year is Runewars Miniatures game, which is made by the same people and has similar mechanics, but with a little more focus on units in a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not exactly pirates, but maybe close enough?
Dreadfleet

However it's a single package with no expansions and I don't think it's all that good.

(As an aside, there is not a single miniature game as good as x-wing at the moment, let alone being able to choose different themes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Uncharted Seas is a very good game. You can use your own ships or they have these really cool resin ones that are made by the game publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
But are any of them currently being supported? Do any of them have the quality in miniatures and the like that X-Wing does? That's a big part of it for me.

Saw the miniatures of Sails the other day at the wargame meetup, they are pretty cool. But if you want excessive bling you'll need to eat your hat and give FFG your wallet, they are ships, they don't look as cool as their space variety. It is probably more akin to Armada than X-wing though, and was very very details with regards to the ships function/damage/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.