Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hey all! I'm Jon Moffat, designer of Horrible Hex.

Like most designers, I'm always working on far too many game projects at the same time, meaning very few (if any) of them come anywhere near complete or even playable.

I've finally gotten this one in a good place, and I'm hoping that some outside insight will help motivate me to get it done.

This is a 2-player card game where one player is an assassin and one player an "asset" and his team of body guards. The working title is "Gejagt" though for an American audience I should probably rename it (which is one dead end I've run into).

The overall idea is this: each player uses a different hidden movement mechanic. The asset player has a team of personnel, represented by cards, with identical backs:

These personnel move around a "board" made of location cards:

The other player is an assassin. The assassin player does not move on the "board", but instead uses a deck of location cards (identical to those used by the Asset player) to designate which location he is secretly moving to.

Thus: the Assassin player knows WHERE personnel are, but not which one is the actual target, while the Asset player needs to move his personnel around the board to find the assassin while concealing which card is the "real" asset.

The assassin has access to a deck of equipment cards (rifle, pistol, flashbang, binoculars) that allow him to target or reveal (flip face-up) personnel. Each tool has a specific range and targetting requirement, and the trick is that the assassin must choose the equipment he wants to use for the FOLLOWING turn. This way he has to predict what the asset player will do.

Combat is a simple draw from a small deck with "hit" or "miss" cards. Personnel die after one hit, where the assassin loses a location card from his deck with each hit and dies at 4.

I'm still working on getting a rulebook in a readable format (i.e. to anyone but me) and when I do I'll post it.

For now: I feel the game is in working condition but needs a little something extra.

I'll round out my overly long introduction with this:

Does this sound like an interesting idea? What would you expect in terms of length and complexity from this sort of game? what would you call it?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: 09/20/2016

PnP Rules and Components, should be sharable now:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-3_xgWx8eMFNmg3N2Z4NUlKX0...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-3_xgWx8eMFS25fS1ItSUljaG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Overview: theme

Through a rifle scope, the target’s convoy comes into focus. A pair of SUVs, likely armored, lumber down a side street.

They turn off toward the square. Sudden, but expected. On cue, a series of loud cracking sounds cut through the morning chill. The caltrops have disabled the vehicles and they screech to a standstill.

Before the assassin is able to take a shot, the occupents of the SUVs pile out and take up covering positions. Orders are shouted, and two armed guards slip off to the side and out of sight. Their coordination is clockwork, almost like a dance.

The assassin smiles and slings the rifle. This quarry will be a challenge. Good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wowbagger44 wrote:
Through a rifle scope

Sounds like a cool title...

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Interesting.... I think I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Overview: Asset Gameplay

The goal of the asset is to find and kill the assassin (hit/wound him 4 times).

The asset player has cards representing his peraonnel. Most of these are bodyguards, but one is the asset himself. These cards have identical backs, so while face-down the assassin cannot tell which is which.

On the Asset's turn, he moves these cards around the board. Wherever he has personnel he can search for the assassin.

Personnel can either move slowly (sneaking) which means they must stay on the same color they started, or faster (run) which lets them move anywhere on the board but makes them more vulnerable to many of the assassin's weapons (a sneaky target is harder to find and shoot than one running out in the open making noise).

If the asset player finds the assassin by correctly guessing where he is and moving personnel there, he gets to draw cards from a combat deck for a chance to wound the assassin.

Each wound removes a location card from the Assassin's deck and "locks" it face-up, thereby reducing the assassin's options to hide.

At setup, the assassin can choose from some special personnel cards to mix in with the bodyguards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The Board

This is something I've seen playtesters struggle with, as the board is slightly unconventional.

The board (which is actually just cards lain on the table for now) has 11 "spaces/locations". Each location is one of 4 colors with one space being all colors.

Locations of the same color are consideres "adjacent" which means that
the location having all colors is adjacent to everything.

Adjacency dictates how movement and weapon ranges work.

That's all pretty straightforward, what seema to confuse people is that all locations of a given color, say green, are equally close to one another. Playes also seem to forget that the "all-color" location is adjacent to everything.

Right now I use cards as locations, maybe switching to a true board would help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the postition of the cards matter?

If not -> true board.

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Correct, position on the table does not matter, only the color of the location matters.

I'll see if I can come up with a board layout that works. There are 11 locations:

4 blue
3 red
2 yellow
1 green
1 all colors

For colorblind, I also have a letter assigned to each group, but a board might make it even easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Overview: Assassin Gameplay

The assassin has 2 decks of cards:
1. A set of locations matching the board locations
2. A set of equipment cards.

The assassin always has one location card placed beside his reference mat as his current location. Notmally this is face-down. When the assassin moves, he simply switches his "current location" with another card from his deck. Just like the asset, the assassin can Sneak or Run. Sneak moves the assassin to another location of the same color. Run lets the assassin move anywhere BUT requires the assassin to announce which color they are running to.

As the asset searches locations, the matching card from the assassin location deck is revealed. If the assassin's current location card is revealed, he is found and the asset gets a chance to wound the assassin.

Equipment cards are weapons, traps, and tools the assassin uses to try to kill or reveal (turn face-up) personnel cards. Each can only target certain personnel (same space only, running personnel only, adjacent only, etc) so no equipment card is good for all situations.

Combat again is a simple card draw of hit/miss, though some equipment allows for a re-draw. Personnel die with one hit. Once the Asset is killed, the assassin wins.

The assassin must choose which equipment he will have available for the following turn (choosing only 2 from his whole suite of 10) so planning ahead is critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Full disclosure, this isn't the first time I've reached out to you talented people for help naming this game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22048436#22048436

I'm hoping to get some more images posted soon, and a rulebook that don't cause SAN loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Here's a first pass at a board for the game using Google clipart.

I've been testing using a set of 11 card for the 11 locations, but they'd be arranged roughly like this.

The challenge I've been having (and I assume it makes no matter whether it's cards on a table or a board) is how to make adjacency more intuitive.

All blue locations, for example, are intended to be adjacent to one another including the Square. So how do I make it clearer that (for example) East and West garage are adjacent to one another but not to Abandoned Train or SUV?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for a city map with connected circles. Each circle represents a location.
Connect the locations adjacent to each other while in the centre you've got some kind of city sqare, where pathes meet.

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I like that idea, but I'm running into difficulties keeping it from being cluttered.

Yellow and Green are easy, but blue has 4 locations plus the square, so each of those needs 4 paths leading out. If I lay them out in a square, thr connections between are easy, but then the connections to the square need to go roundabout.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Setting aside my lack of graphics skills for a moment, does this help clarify adjacency?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Links to PnP Rulebook and Cards added to first post. Appreciate the feedback thus far and would love any candid reactions to the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
With respect to renaming the game, ehat about: "In My Sights"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope .. there are a lot of good ideas in your "name my game" thread ..
Why not pick one of these?

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
There were a few decent onea there, but most were already taken or too close to other games/movies.

Did you see any that jumped out at you?

I like "Through a Rifle Scope" but worry it's too long to be catchy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
wowbagger44 wrote:

...TaRS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Interesting...

Does it matter that the rifle is only one of many weapons in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I just got an alert and realized I forgot to set sharing settings on those PnP files.

Should be working now, please let me know if I goofed it up again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting game - hope you resolve the board setup well,

Names: Assassin's Scope, Dead End, Deadly Assassin, Kick Your Ass-ass-in, Assassinate or Die

(Edit) One more ... Assassin's Dilemna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wowbagger44 wrote:

Conquest of the Empire
Shadows Upon Lassadar: Revenge of the Raven Consort
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
Agricola: Farmers of the Moor
Postcard from the Revolution

Actually, there are lots of games out there with long names ...
Does anyone care?

Nope ...

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Fair point.

Assassin's Dillema is fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Just a few suggestions:

Tight Sight
Gunpoint - this one is not taken. Amazing, right?

And for map, try to google 'town square map' images.
Something like this could spark imagination:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.