United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few snapshots of a solo game of I, Spy using the Cloak and Dagger solo rules.

In the solo game you're playing against two AI opponents: Esperanza O'Nage, an intriguing woman of mystery (those closest to her call her “Espy”), and Charles Carruthers (the hero of The Riddle of the Sands, published in 1903, generally accepted as the first spy novel).

Here's a view of the solo game set up:

By turn 3 I've recruited a police inspector as an asset, but Germany, the nation I'm aligned with, is already starting to lag behind in influence:

Madame O'Nage, aligned with France, is faring pretty well after the first scoring phase:

"Stuck around St. Petersburg, when I saw it was a time for a change" - I've tagged my opponent Carruthers as I head west, and then gotten some funds from my contact in Paris:

With the help of a customs officer in her employ, Madame O'Nage travels from Paris to Berlin to pass some info to her French contact there, recruiting another agent before escaping by airship!:

Russia is leading in influence despite Gavrilo Princip's machinations; meanwhile I need to spend all that money I've got to recruit more assets for Germany:

Starting adjacent to Madame O'Nage, I reveal her French alignment and extort some money from her before traveling to Budapest, where I make contact with Mata Hari and recruit a bounty hunter:

thumbsup Really enjoyable multiplayer or solo.
thumbsup Very thematic, and it's a pretty unique theme at that.
thumbsup Lots of choices, but moves along pretty quickly.
thumbsup Lots of interaction - opportunities for sabotage, blackmail, extortion, scandalizing, etc.
thumbsup Inclusion of lots of actual personalities from the period (as political figures and contact agents) brings a surprising amount of history into the game - many of their capabilities are based on their real-life exploits.
thumbsup Asymmetrical national alignments and random hidden set-up of political figures means lots of replayability, with no "perfect" strategy.

thumbsdown Some graphical choices seem too generic.
thumbsdown Not that many people know about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmb
Is the solo rules in the book. I did not see them. This game is a hidden gem if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, the Cloak and Dagger solo rules are the creation of the original poster. I admit I have yet to try them myself, because playing this game without the prospect of backstabbing and deceiving my regular rivals almost seems devoid of joy. But it appears to be very well thought out, and a different way to enjoy the game when no one else is around. I would think that makes it worthy of our attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gabas
msg tools
HI, where can I find the solo rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManuelG wrote:
HI, where can I find the solo rules?

In the Files section. Click on the words Cloak and Dagger at the start of the first post for the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.