$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
$5.00
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm wondering if people have advice about laying down a starbase on the first turn.

Personally, I think it sounds like a good idea, especially for certain races that can spawn ships away from starbases. Sure, you're kind of "wasting" the starbase's ability as a ship deployment point, but you are getting an extra activation. I see that extra activation as a huge boost, and if you're going to take it, you might as well grab it on the first turn.

With that activation, you could explore an extra system, mine an extra research token, or even fish for an advancement every turn. This brings me to my next question.

Is it worth taking activations in the first few rounds to fish for an advancement?

I'm thinking as the federation, wouldn't it be prudent to fish for long range sensor arrays?

Or how about fishing for the advancement that grants an extra activation per turn, like the Klingon High Council card? Getting an extra activation out asap could be huge I'm thinking.

Have 3-4 "must have" advancement cards in your mind on turn 1 and then take extra activations until you draw one, using the starbase to help you do it.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I believe that GF9 said that you can't put a starbase on your homeworld. If you have a Fed colonization fleet you could colonize and place one, but that's the only way barring a really good exploration card.
When you first make a starbase, the command token comes in exhausted. So you don't get to use it until the next round.

It is much more worth your time to explore first turn to make sure and take advantage of the top 6 planets.
You can only research 1 project first round so I personally prefer to wait until I get 2 research nodes. Some of my players have done first round research though. It seems like it's best to wait until you get a phenomenon because then you can farm it and complete a project twice as fast. I would advise upgrading your shields at least once first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
I believe that GF9 said that you can't put a starbase on your homeworld.

I don't recall that ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:

According to the rules you can place a Starbase in any system. Maybe GF9 said it wasn't a good idea to do it?

Quote:
It is much more worth your time to explore first turn to make sure and take advantage of the top 6 planets.

You might be right, but I also think it depends on the situation. Everyone knows there are 6 planets on top of the starting deck. So the opening round should have players going for those planets.

Each player starts with 5 command tokens (5 activations) and 3 ships. The maximum planets they can get is 2 on their opening move (1 command to warp out, 1 command to warp in, done twice = 4 commands).

That leaves 1 command left. With that you could put another ship into warp, draw an advancement card or place a starbase. That "lost" command for placing a starbase comes back next round when you get 6 activations instead of 5. Over the course of 2 rounds you'll still get 10 activations, they'll just be split 4/6 instead of 5/5.

The down side of placing a starbase is you don't have a ship in warp or you're not working on an advancement (so you can't place research on an advancement card on round 2). However, you raise a good point that working on shields is a good idea.

So if I'm okay in not starting a project round 1, or putting a ship into warp round 1, maybe it's a good trade to get 6 commands every round from that point on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't forget that if you discover a civilization in your first couple of explorations, it takes a command to take control of that planet, whether you want to hegemony or invade. So I would say building a starbase should be your Plan B, if you don't discover any civilizations you can take over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it really depends the situation, but its mostly speculation since you dont know yet how it will turn out ie only later will you know if it was the good choice or not;

A) having the extra command of the starbase early can certainly boost your actions, BUT as long as your ascendancy is level 1 thats the only starbase you can put out, maybe later you need it in a more important/useful spot then you cant change it until you reach ascendancy level 2. sometimes you might have too many actions with nothing to use them on.

B) researching a tech as of round 1 is nice if there's a tech thats only useful for exploration early on, but since you dont know which ones you will draw it might be a futile attempt. given you only have 1 research node you would waste the 2nd project, certainly if both cards are good but now you have to bury one at the bottom of the advancements deck.

C) taking advantage of the starting 6 planets is a must, certainly try to be able to build nodes on turn 2 by hegemonizing/colonizing a planet.

for me the order should be to try plan C first, then plan A, only try plan B if you play a race where this is more important.

for the romulans, using plan A is good to get as much use out of the mining fleet to significantly boost your production

plan B is mostly for federation that has a lot of techs for exploration that tend to become less useful later on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plan D: Play Cardassians! Six actions -- just because that's how you roll, and as long as you aren't last (in a three-player game anyway) you can hog half the starting seeded planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
John1701 wrote:

I don't recall that ruling.

I can't remember, but I think they said it at the same time they said that you can't have more than one starbase on one system. I will have to find the thread though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The demo person I talked to said you can put a star base on your home world, but it may not be the best idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captds9e wrote:
The demo person I talked to said you can put a star base on your home world, but it may not be the best idea.

the example in the book also mentions you can

rulebook page 27 wrote:
one key early decision is whether or not to Commission a Starbase on Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captds9e wrote:

Did he say why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
captds9e wrote:

Did he say why?

well you are giving up some of the benefits of a starbase. lets say you build your 3 starbases, unless you take over another you will be limited to 3 deploy spots if you build 1 on your homeworld, and 4 deploy spots if you do not build one on your homeworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.