United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some scenarios with HTs state units may mount them. Other HT scenarios do not mention this.

1. Do scenarios which don't allow mounting infer that the units enter the map pre-loaded on the HTs? There seems to be a gun/infantry paired with each HT in this case. I am guessing pre-loaded, especially guns, since they can't move otherwise. Is this optional for infantry?

2. Conversely, how is HT entry handled in scenarios which allow HT mounting? Do units enter the map in HTs? Is this optional? Or do units enter without being in a HT and then later on just conjure one up when it wants to mount (assuming it meets mounting criteria)? Most, but not all these scenarios also seem to pair HTs with guns/infantry (scenario 37 seems to be an exception: 5HT, 9 squads, 2 panzerschreck squads, 2 WT)

Hopefully these questions make sense

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
1. Do scenarios which don't allow mounting infer that the units enter the map pre-loaded on the HTs? There seems to be a gun/infantry paired with each HT in this case.
That is my understanding. Otherwise they would be empty and removed from play per 21.1.

voynix wrote:
2. Conversely, how is HT entry handled in scenarios which allow HT mounting? Do units enter the map in HTs? Is this optional?
I believe that it would be the same. In the absence of an official ruling I would say they are optional and any unused HTs would simply start in the HT pile waiting to spawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If a scenario doesn't explicitly allow mounting then the HT is removed irrevocably as soon as its occupant Dismounts. It is assumed that Re-mounting doesn't occur within the timeframe of the scenario.

There aren't many scenarios that allow Mounting. The rule says that the HT is taken from a pile of those that have previously Dismounted troops, so if your HT never entered the game it cannot be a part of that pile. The concept is not that these carriers are beaming down or 'spawning' but that after Dismounting they lurk somewhere safe in the vicinity in a manner that is below your rank to supervise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys. So halftracks always come on the board occupied in scenarios with no mounting. When mounting is allowed, halftracks can only be re-mounted if they entered in the first place, i.e. They only go into the available pile after use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. So halftracks always come on the board occupied in scenarios with no mounting. When mounting is allowed, halftracks can only be re-mounted if they entered in the first place, i.e. They only go into the available pile after use.

Close. Unless it is explicitly stated in an SSR, you don't HAVE to use all or any of the HTs in your OB and can always enter or set up on foot instead. PGs in HTs have been given some amazing capabilities though, especially WTs. Just watch out for ATGs and ATRs,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Halftracks aren't mandatory but as you say they seem to be advantageous. If I were part of a squad i would prefer to enter a map full of enemies riding in a halftrack rather than walking in open ground. And guns obviously require towing to get on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
Quote:
PGs in HTs have been given some amazing capabilities though...

Yeah, they are pretty powerful, but I think that is historical.

Quote:
If I were part of a squad i would prefer to enter a map full of enemies riding in a halftrack rather than walking in open ground.

Well, not if the map is loaded with anti-tank guns. That could get ugly quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Squad or WT that starts the turn mounted in an HalfTrack and fires without moving costs how many Command Points? 1 (Squad/WT) or 3 (Vehicle)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Brooks
msg tools
I haven't got the rules in front of me but I'm pretty sure HTs are only 1 point and activate as a squad when they're mounted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thanks Si, you are indeed correct. All I had to do was read the rule, 3rd paragraph of 21.1

Quote:
Halftracks count as 0 against the Operations Range and are always selected simultaneously with the unit they are transporting. Example (in red no less!) Selecting a Halftrack transporting a Squad would count 1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.