3 Posts

Pandánte (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Not "having your hand" but haven't folded yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean Laurant
msg tools
From the 9th page of the rules;
"No players had their hand, so everyone in the Showdown had to fold.
If ALL players have now folded, the pot rolls over to the next gambit.
But if there are any players who haven’t folded yet, the player with the highest claimed hand is now in the Showdown.
If multiple players are tied for highest, see if saying their specific hands out loud breaks the tie before sending them to the Showdown."

I don't understand this rule at all.
If you haven't folded after the showdown phase, you must "have your hand", right?
Please someone explain me what this rule is all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The text you quoted there is correct, but it's a bit confusing to see it out of context of the list of steps on page 9 in the rulebook. For everyone's reference, the rulebooks to my games are here: http://sirlingames.com/rulebooks/

Here's an example situation that that text is referring to. Players A and B both claim the same hand as each other, and its higher than anyone else claimed to have. This means players A and B are in the showdown. Player A is in the hotseat, and accepts challenges. Let's say they get challenged and lied. Now player B is in the hotseat. Let's say the same thing happens: they get challenged and lied.

We had 2 players in the showdown, but they were both forced to fold. So now we do what that text you quoted says. We check whoever was the NEXT highest claimed hand, then they get to be in the showdown. We might have a tie there, like maybe players C and D claimed the same as each other, but lower than A and B claimed. This sentence talks about how to break that tie: "see if saying their specific hands out loud breaks the tie before sending them to the Showdown"

So like maybe players C and D said straight, but we attempt to break it by having them say "7 high straight" and the other says "9 high straight". If that works, cool, then the 9 high straight player goes to the showdown. If they were still tied, then they are both in the showdown.

At some point, it's possible that they both end up folding, and there's no one who claimed lower. Or there is, so the lower person enters the showdown, but they get challenged and turn out to have lied too. The pot rolls over if EVERYONE ends up having to fold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Laurant
msg tools
Ah, now I get it.
Thank you for the clear explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.