Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

Is it gamey to put your unit in PA or TA mode just to allow yourself the ability to call in arty strike on a enemy unit, and when your FS is finished you pull the PA/TA counter off your unit to prevent yourself from making a "GA"?

Yes, the unit is in MCT so he is able to pull the PA/TA marker off without rolling your PR.

I know the rule allows it but i feel like it's gamey. You thoughts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Karlsson
Sweden
Stenkullen
--
flag msg tools
Another trick is to attack designate more units than allowed to add some more artillery missions. First I felt this was a rules exploit, but then I changed my mind.
The attacking units are subjecting themselves to defensive FSM without any terrain protection, so there is a price to be paid. Considering it to be spoiling attacks, or probing attacks to pinpoint enemies positioning.

And the updated rules better explains how to resolve excessive attack designations etc. so I no longer feels it to be an exploit now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clay I agree with Frederik and I've employed this tactic myself. In fact I used this in one of my AW vassal games and it generated some discussion on CSW. Doug and Joe both came out and said it was a viable tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Clay,

Not gamey because if they enemy has any artillery around, he gets a first shot at the spotter before that spotter can call in a barrage. We used to not have the rule requiring the active player to use an attack designated spotter (thus negating any covering terrain it was in). Players just naturally barraged all the time since there was no downside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

The more i'm thinking about it the more i agree with you guys. Sometimes you need to play it out in your head along with hearing other views from fellow gamers...

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.