Subject: How to setup money & question about storing metal coins together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Schultz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In initial setup, the player gets X number of coins based on their mat. Are they just drawn at random then? Do the values on them count for something? Six $20 coins and six $1 coins would be very different. The rules sometimes say the goal is to have the largest fortune, and in other places it's to have the most "coins."

Also, I have the collector's edition with the metal coins. At this point I've put them all in a single bag. Does anyone know if the finish would come off or rub off on one another if they're stored like this?

Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't x number of coins, it is x value in coins. So if you start with 6 "coins" you get 6 value in coins not necessarily 6 individual coins. The values on the coins are how many "units" that coin is worth, just like real life dollars!

So if you get 6 coins to start, that could be one 5 coin and one 1 coin, or two 3 coins, or six 1 coins. Again, just like real life money.

Think of "coins" as the currency value, like "dollars". The objective is to have the highest value of coins, not the highest individual number of coins, i.e one 20 value coin would win over two 1 value coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyschultz wrote:
Also, I have the collector's edition with the metal coins. At this point I've put them all in a single bag. Does anyone know if the finish would come off or rub off on one another if they're stored like this?

There are indeed folks whose blue coins show different levels of wear (blue paint rubbing/chipping off the coins).
Has anyone noticed paint rubbing off the blue metal coins?

It seems that especially coins that are stored in boxes where they can rattle around are prone to this kind of wear.
I recommend storing all coins sorted by value in individual bags that offer little to no space to move around during transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Penzance
Cornwall
flag msg tools
The Chicken of DOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyschultz wrote:
In initial setup, the player gets X number of coins based on their mat. Are they just drawn at random then? Do the values on them count for something? Six $20 coins and six $1 coins would be very different. The rules sometimes say the goal is to have the largest fortune, and in other places it's to have the most "coins."
Jeremy

Surely this is a joke...
You can't really believe that the game would begin with one player having perhaps six $20 coins (total $120) and another player having six €1 coins (total $6). It would make playing the game pointless! Not wanting to be rude, but in cases like this I think you can just use your common sense. ☺️
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craigus69 wrote:
jeremyschultz wrote:
Jeremy

Surely this is a joke...
You can't really believe that the game would begin with one player having perhaps six $20 coins (total $120) and another player having six €1 coins (total $6). It would make playing the game pointless! Not wanting to be rude, but in cases like this I think you can just use your common sense. ☺️

Totally agree. Imagine applying this logic to other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
Craigus69 wrote:
jeremyschultz wrote:
Jeremy

Surely this is a joke...

Totally agree. Imagine applying this logic to other games.

Imagine applying this logic to life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Schultz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Craigus69 wrote:

From page 7 of the rules, "gain the indicated amount of coins." That to me is the number of coins. "Gain the indicated money" would have made sense to me. And then on page 29, "the player with the most coins wins." Not the player with the "most money" or largest "fortune," which to me means "money" and would have also made sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyschultz wrote:
From page 7 of the rules, "gain the indicated amount of coins." That to me is the number of coins. "Gain the indicated money" would have made sense to me. And then on page 29, "the player with the most coins wins." Not the player with the "most money" or largest "fortune," which to me means "money" and would have also made sense.
There is no response I can give to this line of "logic" that won't get flagged by the admins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

OP, do you read the yellow circles as one coin, or one unit of money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Niggel
msg tools
I suppose if you completely ignore the denominations at all times, the game still works.

You'll probably need a few more sets of coins, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyschultz wrote:
Craigus69 wrote:

After containing myself and posting a very reasonable response to the OP I am now unsubscribing from this thread for obvious reasons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
reverendunclebastard wrote:
jeremyschultz wrote:
Craigus69 wrote:

After containing myself and posting a very reasonable response to the OP I am now unsubscribing from this thread for obvious reasons...

Stay reasonable. The OP lists just one game (this), in his collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Stay reasonable. The OP lists just one game (this), in his collection.

That was the first thing I checked. The question is not unreasonable for an inexperienced player, since technically he's correct about the ambiguous wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightye wrote:
jeremyschultz wrote:

There are indeed folks whose blue coins show different levels of wear (blue paint rubbing/chipping off the coins).
Has anyone noticed paint rubbing off the blue metal coins?

It seems that especially coins that are stored in boxes where they can rattle around are prone to this kind of wear.
I recommend storing all coins sorted by value in individual bags that offer little to no space to move around during transport.

I second this recommendation. This is how I store mine. Resources (I have the realistic resin/metal ones) go in the nifty SM plastic boxes. Coins go in 5 baggies which are burped and wrapped tightly more to save space than prevent wear. During play the 1-10 coins go in the resource box tops and the 20's go in a pile to the side. So far no wear issues after 4 games with this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I store my coins in two separate small cloth/velvet bags (chose that more for theme than anything). I separate them by larger denominations in one bad and smaller in the other. So far I have had to issues with any chipping or wear on them.

I will say this that the patina that the wear does actually gives it a cool stylized and "aged" look so I wouldn't mind if it happens. I can totally understand though those that may not feel that way or don't take the same look on it. Just wanted to offer that thought though. I can see that helping with the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Schultz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This thread should have ended with Reverend Uncle Bastard's initial reply. That's all I needed to know and it was a good answer. I read game directions literally and this was ambiguous to me.

Maybe these forums are not the place for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all fairness Jeremy, what would be the point for the game to have different value coins if all coins were counted as the same? Or, even if you consider that the coins have different values, how would it be possible to make it fair to randomly distribute the coins where one player can have $120 worth of coins and another player could have $6 worth of coins?

If you looked at some of the encounter cards, some of them say you can pay x coins to get some benefit. Would you think that meant 4 of any coins? If so, then once again, what would be the point of having different denominations of coins in the game? If all coins would count as a "coin", then wouldn't it have been better for the designer have only single value coins be included in the game?

So while you may have not appreciated some of the responses here, including mine I'm sure, hopefully you can understand how people are surprised by your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Esther Phillips - Baby, I'm for Real!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody want to buy my War of the Ring Collector's Edition for 10 pieces* of money?

* I reserve the right to pick the denomination of the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Velonis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Mmm... humans...
mbmbmbmbmb
Belated comment, but I just played my first game of Scythe, and my son had the same question, except he interpreted it as "choose any 6 coins", so of course he wanted to choose $120. He pointed out quite accurately that the rules say "coins", not "units of currency" (dollars, marks, zloty, rubles, whatever). The common usage of "coin" is a physical object like the (very nice) metal coins in the game -- a nickel, dime, quarter, etc. If a game wants to use a common term in a different, specialized way, it needs to say so in the rules.

Experienced gamers will know how to interpret this and may not even notice, but really a proofreader should have caught that and changed the wording or added a clarification. There's no need to dump on the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John: As the designer of Scythe, I authorize your son to start with $120 when playing against you. You, however, must start with the correct amount of money as noted on your player mat ($4-$7). Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Velonis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Mmm... humans...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jamey! I'll be sure to let him know you said so. Though I don't think he'll need the help. He regularly beats me at other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.