Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've searched for a thread on this topic and didn't find one. Please forgive me if one exists that I missed.

I've had a number of images declined for a variety of reasons, and most of them are probably fair. No harm done. Better luck next time.

But I am curious that among the reasons given, several of my photos were marked "offensive." Since mods can't provide any further clarification, I don't know what is "offensive" about the photos, which are usually images of a game board or game cards being played.

If I had to guess, the only common thread appears to be that the photos included glasses or bottles of beer on the table.

Is there a policy against images of alcohol of which I am unaware?

(For the record, my images have never been rejected solely on these grounds, and most of the reasons are probably fair.)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Some examples would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a photo of IOTA being played. It makes perfect sense to me that the lighting and framing would be dinged—no worries there. I don't see anything "offensive," however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks. Yep, I would reject that one, but not for being offensive.

Maybe someone selected the wrong option. Or perhaps there are some people geek-modding with an odd idea of what is offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaydenCatelyn wrote:

Here's a photo of IOTA being played. It makes perfect sense to me that the lighting and framing would be dinged—no worries there. I don't see anything "offensive," however.

Agreed. While it's not the world's best picture, I can't see how it could possibly be considered "offensive". I'm guessing (hoping) someone hit the wrong button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He sweetened his game with aspartame and an overgrown sign pointed the way to
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmb
I wouldn't click offensive on that, but I'm not at all surprised that someone would find alcohol in general, and consequently alcohol prominently featured in game shots, "offensive" in this context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if just 1 person who voted ticks 'offensive' on a contribution and the item is rejected by a majority - 'offensive' will be one of the given reasons.

Most likely a mis-click but there are many people who are offended by alcohol in contributions, for a range of reasons.
('Offended' is quite an emotive word - I suppose if I didn't approve, 'offended' would be the only option available to express this.)

My advice is don't take it to heart (we won't all agree and BGG is about plurality), move on an keep contributing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the comment box was removed, but there are various reasons to decline in geekmod that don't have checkboxes. So if an image was too large, there is no Too Large box, and someone would have to choose a different box to check for the reason... perhaps Too Small, or something else like Offensive.

(I'm not saying your image was Too Large, but it could be that someone needed a box to check and the correct one wasn't available).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CaydenCatelyn wrote:

The lighting and framing on that photo are pretty doggone artistic. I'd have approved it and given it a thumb on the way by.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
CaydenCatelyn wrote:

The lighting and framing on that photo are pretty doggone artistic. I'd have approved it and given it a thumb on the way by.

S.

Yeah I really like this photo. It's a shame that interesting images like this don't seem to be welcome in the game gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the "example photo" is a good example of an image that should be confined to a personal gallery and not allowed into a game's gallery.

While the photo could be interpreted as "pretty and artistic" (although this is highly subjective), I prefer when images in a game's gallery convey information about gameplay, components, interesting game situations and so on. This image does nothing of the sort and I would prefer if this kind of photos were kept away from the games' galleries. I am getting tired of wading through piles of images of girls holding boxes, cats on tables and so on. Plenty of other places on the internet for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
kadavriak wrote:
I think the "example photo" is a good example of an image that should be confined to a personal gallery and not allowed into a game's gallery.

While the photo could be interpreted as "pretty and artistic" (although this is highly subjective), I prefer when images in a game's gallery convey information about gameplay, components, interesting game situations and so on. This image does nothing of the sort and I would prefer if this kind of photos were kept away from the games' galleries. I am getting tired of wading through piles of images of girls holding boxes, cats on tables and so on. Plenty of other places on the internet for that.

Isn't that what the "Creative" gallery is for, though?
In a game's image section, there are Game, People, & Creative. Just filter for Game and you won't have to wade through those images of girls holding boxes and cats on tables that annoy you. Others who like those images, will select "All" and not apply any filters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
kadavriak wrote:

In a game's image section, there are Game, People, & Creative. Just filter for Game and you won't have to wade through those images of girls holding boxes and cats on tables that annoy you. Others who like those images, will select "All" and not apply any filters.

Exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

One of the things that's changed on BGG over the last ten years is that it's gone from being a site about gaming to being a site about games. The photos have become much more sterile. Heck, last month I saw a "top ten images of the week" posting where eight of the ten images were promotional pics, three or four of them digital mock-ups of not-yet-published game boxes. The images were squeaky clean, but they were cold as a stone. That's what gets thumbed now.

I think the example image is ideal in the game's gallery because it speaks to emotion and enjoyment. There's a warmth to it; it tells a story. I appreciate that outlook is less common here these days.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
kadavriak wrote:

Yup, that would work in theory. All it takes is that all images are correctly labeled as such through geekmod...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

One of the things that's changed on BGG over the last ten years is that it's gone from being a site about gaming to being a site about games. The photos have become much more sterile. Heck, last month I saw a "top ten images of the week" posting where eight of the ten images were promotional pics, three or four of them digital mock-ups of not-yet-published game boxes. The images were squeaky clean, but they were cold as a stone. That's what gets thumbed now.

I think the example image is ideal in the game's gallery because it speaks to emotion and enjoyment. There's a warmth to it; it tells a story. I appreciate that outlook is less common here these days.

S.

I have to agree with you. Need to get some life back in here cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad this thread didn't turn into a discussion about cleavage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Was that a light beer?

That would be pretty offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I had some "creative" images declined for being offensive a year or two ago, presumably because they contained alcohol. I don't have the pictures any more, but I've attempted to recreate them below. As large as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
kadavriak wrote:

The "Creative" is mostly likely intended for "creative portrayals of the game or it's components". This is definitely a creative and artistic shot, but the game is secondary to the picture. It could be anything on the table and it wouldn't really change the shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
PeterZiegler wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I had some "creative" images declined for being offensive a year or two ago, presumably because they contained alcohol. I don't have the pictures any more, but I've attempted to recreate them below. As large as possible.

It took me 3 minutes to find this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/63303/clusterfight/scotch-te...

Putting alcohol prominently on display in a post can NEVER be the reason for a pic or a video to be rejected.

I don't understand what's happening in that video. Aren't you supposed to drink Scotch straight from the bottle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

It went from "hobby" to "business". Once that happens, the lowest common denominator approach kicks in -- anything that *anyone* can be offended by for any reason, gets deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
the lowest common denominator approach kicks in -- anything that *anyone* can be offended by for any reason, gets deleted.

In fairness, that's clearly untrue; otherwise, the site would be completely empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

It went from "hobby" to "business". Once that happens, the lowest common denominator approach kicks in -- anything that *anyone* can be offended by for any reason, gets deleted.

This does not really work for the user driven geekmod approach. The business does drive things like the BGG news and decisions on the sire layout etc., but geekmodding is done by the users and I don't think the admins delete images after the fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
This glorious pic I took was deemed "offensive" as well:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.