Subject: "SPIEL Together" - The new tool for Essen SPIEL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Møller
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like so many other I’ve found the “Essen Geek” tool an absolute must for planning my trip to Essen SPIEL. But since it seems it will not be updated this year I have taken it upon myself to create a simpler version of the tool to help me out. It won’t be as good as the original, but it should get the job done.

My time is limited, but I did manage to get a workable tool up and running that I’ll be using. I hope you will find it useful too.

Check it out here:
http://www.tabletoptogether.com/essen-spiel

And please feel free to post ideas and suggestions (along with bugs) here. As I noted I do not have much spare time, but I will do my best

Also don't worry a print friendly version of the list will be available before Essen SPIEL '16
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peukon wrote:

It's probably just me, but I don't see anything on that page

In addition : it would be handy to know up-front for what operating system this tool is meant to be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Møller
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should see a page where you can create an account and log-in. It's an online tool so you should be able to access it anywhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a website, pretty sure any OS would do. You will have to log on to see it resembles the Essen geek tool. See Essen Geek Tool Discussion Thread.

*edit*
Too late ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job Peter, thanks. Tried to register but my account is not activated. I also have received no auto-email to confirm account after 1 hour or so. Are you activating accounts manually or have I screwed somewhere?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Engelbrecht-Gollander
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fully automatic so you should try again and doublecheck your email and report back if it still doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, had the brainfart incident. Things work, cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On another topic @Peter, will you be considering opensourcing the project so other folks can contribute?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, to start the process, here's 10GG for Peter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Møller
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Yep, had the brainfart incident. Things work, cheers.
Good to hear that it works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Møller
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
On another topic @Peter, will you be considering opensourcing the project so other folks can contribute?

Maybe in the future. Right now it's just a lot of "messy" code that only I know how to mess with. But maybe for next year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peukon wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

Maybe in the future. Right now it's just a lot of "messy" code that only I know how to mess with. But maybe for next year

Fair enough, although I wouldn't worry about messy. Have you seen some of the things that people upload on github? lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, here is the new thread.
So I just copy my latest postings from the other thread:
Quote:
I would like to see in wich languages the games will be available. Is that possible?

Quote:
It would be nice, if you could split the hyped games into base games and expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K_Salz Cotton
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Great job Peter, thanks. Tried to register but my account is not activated. I also have received no auto-email to confirm account after 1 hour or so. Are you activating accounts manually or have I screwed somewhere?

Thanks.

Check your spam folder - thats where mine was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Møller
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterX wrote:
Oh, here is the new thread.
So I just copy my latest postings from the other thread:
Quote:
I would like to see in wich languages the games will be available. Is that possible?

Quote:
It would be nice, if you could split the hyped games into base games and expansions.

I'll see what I can do with the language when I get back from my trip to London Monday.
About the expansion stuff. I added a label (after the name of the game) if it is an expansion. I might make something better later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peukon wrote:
About the expansion stuff. I added a label (after the name of the game) if it is an expansion. I might make something better later

Yes, I saw that. But I was speaking about the hyped games list. The old tool had two lists of that kind. One for base games and one for expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K_Salz Cotton
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been curious how people use the Like/Want/Need (L/W/N) because the way I use them doesn't necessarily reflect the meanings of the words. And as the event approaches I change the listings around.

In the months before Spiel I use the tool like this:
Need: Definitely going to buy/look at. Really interested in. Need and Want are quite flexible/interchangeable.
Want: Seriously interested in but not definite
Like: Might be interested - keep within view/friends might be interested and will let me know soon.
Ignore: Probably not interested but not sure as more info becomes available
Skip: I know for sure I am not interested.

As my time available in the halls becomes clearer, the preorders made, the booth/map layout, and prices become clearer my use of the tool changes. By now I have refined the games list.

In the immediate days before Spiel:
Need: Definitely going to buy. Top priority. Go to these booths first.
Want: Buying/picking up for other people. Check out games not in 'Need'.
Like: Check out if i have time.
Ignore: By now empty - either in Skip or L/W/N

Based on all of the above what I'd like from the tool is this:

1. A ‘Friends/for other people’ coloured box category (like Skip/Ignore/L/W/N)*
2. A promo tick box (like Preordered)
3. Pre-ordered games to rank higher/show first in their L/W/N list.

*sometimes I might be buying multiple copies of a game - for myself AND for a friend. In this case the game would already be in NEED and I'd make a note to buy 2 copies (let's face it...if I cant remember this when I'm standing at a booth looking at the game then I have serious memory problems).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Peter, thanks for sharing this. I have a few questions because I have only used the old tool once and can't really remember what it did. The way I see it, your tool lists all games from the Essen Preview list, so all games that are new this year? If I use your tool to mark my favourites, will it allow exporting a list separated by halls/booths or whatever, that helps with finding these games? I vaguely remember that this might have been one purpose of the old tool but I am definitely not sure if that is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexjrc wrote:

I'm pretty sure I have these reversed and I thought that's how the tool worked.
Ignore: Will certainly never look at this game ever.
Skip: I don't know how I feel about this game, or not enough information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K_Salz Cotton
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
Alexjrc wrote:

I'm pretty sure I have these reversed and I thought that's how the tool worked.
Ignore: Will certainly never look at this game ever.
Skip: I don't know how I feel about this game, or not enough information.

I think you're right for how I used the original Essen Mini Tool. But for this tool I was using the order (1,2,3,4,5) of the words ie: Need is at the top of the pile (1), Skip is bottom (5). Ignore (4) is not at the bottom of the list so I'll use that for 'don't 5 it'. However, I can see how you could also see this as a 1-4 rank with Ignore as 4/the bottom, and Skip as the unsorted/decided pile.

It's like iTunes music star ratings...no one uses them the same way. That's one of the reasons I think a 'friends' ranking would be useful because often I'm not interested in the game, but I'm still picking it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grummi
Germany
Neunkirchen-Seelscheid
flag msg tools
Alexjrc wrote:

I think you're right for how I used the original Essen Mini Tool. But for this tool I was using the order (1,2,3,4,5) of the words ie: Need is at the top of the pile (1), Skip is bottom (5). Ignore (4) is not at the bottom of the list so I'll use that for 'don't 5 it'. However, I can see how you could also see this as a 1-4 rank with Ignore as 4/the bottom, and Skip as the unsorted/decided pile.

It's like iTunes music star ratings...no one uses them the same way. That's one of the reasons I think a 'friends' ranking would be useful because often I'm not interested in the game, but I'm still picking it up.

In the old Essen Geek Mini there were tooltips for the Buttons:
Skip - postpone
Ignore - remove
Like - lowest priority
Want - medium priority
Need - highest priority

Probably most people were using them like this, and would expect this list to work the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grummi wrote:

Skip - postpone
Ignore - remove
Like - lowest priority
Want - medium priority
Need - highest priority

Probably most people were using them like this, and would expect this list to work the same.

Yeah, that's the way I use the tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterX wrote:
grummi wrote:

Skip - postpone
Ignore - remove
Like - lowest priority
Want - medium priority
Need - highest priority

Yeah, that's the way I use the tool.

Never read the tooltips, but that seemed obvious to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grummi
Germany
Neunkirchen-Seelscheid
flag msg tools
Some feature requests:

* Sorting of games by name (maybe for other criteria as well)
* Show categories and mechanisms of games
* Prompt before logging out (or leaving page / closing tab)
* Check if still logged in before attempting to save

Especially the last two points would be very convenient. Otherwise a lot of work can be lost if after editing hundreds of games, reading descriptions, writing comments etc. the session timed out or the page is closed by accident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grummi
Germany
Neunkirchen-Seelscheid
flag msg tools
The game 'Expedition' has a Ravensburger logo on the image in your list. It is listed as a Queen Games game.

The geeklist shows an Amigo Cover and also lists the game as an Amigo title.

It would probably be a good idea to show the image from the geeklist for each game, and not the default boardgamegeek image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.