$30.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong» Forums » Variants

Subject: Introducing Drafting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alenros
Israel
Tel-Kazir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Motivation:
we played a few games when it was too obvious who could not be the murderer or that only one person fits the cause of death, for example, for example they were the only person with a cutting instrument.

The Variant
Each player receives the chosen amount of mean and clue cards in the beginning of the game, chooses one of each and passes the remainder.
He receives cards from the person sitting next to him and continues the drafting until all cards have been taken.
After the drafting is done roles are distributed (investigator, murderer etc.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Lesus
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are the murderer and you are the only person with a cutting instrument, as you say, then you should not be choosing the cutting instrument as the means of death.

For the murderer, 90% of winning is carefully choosing a means and a clue that have some overlap with the other players so that you can't be singled out by the evidence so easily.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlesus wrote:
If you are the murderer and you are the only person with a cutting instrument, as you say, then you should not be choosing the cutting instrument as the means of death.

For the murderer, 90% of winning is carefully choosing a means and a clue that have some overlap with the other players so that you can't be singled out by the evidence so easily.


This. The major part of the strategy is to try to pick items in front of you that can be mistaken for items in front of someone else.

The other strategy is to try to contrast the two items you pick. For example, someone chose "dumb bells" and "antique" for mine which made it difficult for me as the forensic scientist because a clue for dumb bells usually excluded antique (e.g. location Dormitory).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
mlesus wrote:
If you are the murderer and you are the only person with a cutting instrument, as you say, then you should not be choosing the cutting instrument as the means of death.


Doesn't really work if you are the only person with cutting instrument because all that you have are cutting instruments.

I've seen quite a few games where players have had nothing but poison. I also recall one game where the Murderer had 3 of like-items, and 1 different, which really boxed them in and made it obvious when they picked that one item.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmb
islan wrote:
mlesus wrote:
If you are the murderer and you are the only person with a cutting instrument, as you say, then you should not be choosing the cutting instrument as the means of death.


Doesn't really work if you are the only person with cutting instrument because all that you have are cutting instruments.
Sure. But that shouldn't happen very often. I suppose if it does, then, yeah, drafting is a good way around it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Lesus
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
islan wrote:
mlesus wrote:
If you are the murderer and you are the only person with a cutting instrument, as you say, then you should not be choosing the cutting instrument as the means of death.


Doesn't really work if you are the only person with cutting instrument because all that you have are cutting instruments.
Sure. But that shouldn't happen very often. I suppose if it does, then, yeah, drafting is a good way around it.


Every so often the murderer will get a difficult set of cards. How often does that happen? One in ten games? One in five? A draft could take just as long as the game itself, is it worth adding that to every game in order to avoid those situations? It's up to the group.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why we always play with 5 clues and 5 murder weapons.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alenros
Israel
Tel-Kazir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the player count, we usually suspect one or two players, each with a single combination.

If you are 5 players, meaning there are 3 investigators and a murderer, they will have to guess between 4-5 equal cutting instruments and confusingly similar clue cards.
you might get singled out quicker, but if you can't hold a poker face you might have a better chance.

about the added game-time: haven't tried the variant yet, but I think it adds an element of strategy and planning. try not looking on it as a burden - in my group we ditched the formal accusations and go free-for-all, so it's a real quick game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find this a problem, but the murderer DOES have to take some time to pick a good combo. You should deal out the cards, and tell people to start looking IN CASE they are the murderer, the deal out the roles...and once you get the murderer in the 'night' make sure they take some time.

We try to delay the role deal out so that it's not a full minute while the murderer chooses, but yeah, sometimes it goes 30seconds.

My main complaint is the lack of some other means of death. Seems a lot of the means are severe injury using some sort of blunt or sharp thing. You don't see 'accident' getting picked frequently...because they are too few and that lowers the pool for the murderer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.