11 Posts

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower» Forums » General

Subject: Which Hero Is Your Favourite? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Kyle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This topic is pretty much exactly as it says on the title. Since there are so many, I figure there will be plenty to talk about. From all the heroes available, which one have you enjoyed the most and why? Are there any particular skills (or combination of skills) you have found effective on the hero you have chosen?

For me, its the Mistweaver Saih. With her slightly higher than average movement I like being able to pick my spot and magic missile foes to death. But the combination of her area stun and glimmermist can be very strong and can lock a room of enemies down hard. Letting the other players hit without retaliation or turning a potential hit into a miss for the enemies is great crowd control.

On the flip side her 1+ attack is harder to hit on average at 4+ and she only has a save of 6+. But you neither want her in melee range or be in range of an opponents attack. Her good 3+ agility, usually can keep her out of trouble on your own turn in that regard. If used right I think her positives far outweigh her negatives. Shes loads of fun and can really help a party along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it comes down to two characters - the Vindicator and the Tenebrael Shard. Granted, the Vindicator is definitely overpowered, not really having any glaring weaknesses to balance his incredible maneuverability and damage potential, so I'm not really inclined to put him as my sole top pick. The Tenebrael Shard, on the other hand, does strike a nice balance between his ability to dish out damage and his ability to stay safe (with a somewhat lower Save). He hits hard, and has one of the highest damage caps in the game, but you have to balance dealing out the damage with maintaining a safe distance in order to stay up.

As for the most effective combo... I don't remember the exact names on everything, but both the Orruk Warchanter and the Tenebrael Shard could theoretically get infinite actions with the Skill that states when you roll a 6 on an Attack you gain an extra Action die on the 1 face (roll if you match the Type).

For the Tenebrael Shard, you are essentially getting two actions for each 6 you roll to attack with (one at any number, one at 1), but it's fairly difficult to keep it going. The Orruk Warchanter's 1+ Combat Attack, however, generally gives you 3 or 4 chances at it per Action Die, which means you have pretty good odds of getting that extra action with each attack, assuming you have enough opponents to dish out damage to. In the last game I played, the other player managed to dish out over 20 points of damage in one round thanks to that combo and still had 3 actions left over (after everything was said and done) - and this was with the 4 action cap meaning that many of the extra dice weren't actually placed on his hero card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is this guy:

Purely bc he's awesome looking. His abilities are interesting too. I also spent way too much time painting this guy & he looks amazing bc of it

Another perk, his model & character card is free in the September 2016 issue of white dwarf... Which makes me sad bc I spent $30 on this guy back when WHQ:ST came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I try not to worry too much about number-crunching, I just like the stuff that feels fun or looks cool. I've only really used the guys from the base game, but I like most of them except the priest - Not sure why, but I find the griff hound a bit of a nuisance and a bit fiddly, with a tendency to get in the way.

I like skills that give you a bit of a mini-game to get renown, like the barbarian racking up a certain number of wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
My favorite is this guy:

Purely bc he's awesome looking. His abilities are interesting too. I also spent way too much time painting this guy & he looks amazing bc of it

Another perk, his model & character card is free in the September 2016 issue of white dwarf... Which makes me sad bc I spent $30 on this guy back when WHQ:ST came out.

That is a pain. On the plus side, you get to paint the awesome model again, and you can buy Gorechosen and keep one model with that game, and the other with Silver Tower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
acefury wrote:
My favorite is this guy:

That is a pain. On the plus side, you get to paint the awesome model again, and you can buy Gorechosen and keep one model with that game, and the other with Silver Tower

Good point! & the character card will be "official" rather than my hand made one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
Village of Croston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Core: Mistweaver

Additionals: Dark Elf Sorceress - love her Word of Pain ability (and potential to boost it)

Tertiary mention: Lord of Plagues (albeit modified to have a movement of 2)

But I'll happily play with *any* available character (any exuse to play ST, haha!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clockpunk wrote:

Love the Lord of Plagues figure, but haven't got around to buying him yet. Why do you reduce his movement, is it to nerf his plague rot area weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
Village of Croston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Clockpunk wrote:

Love the Lord of Plagues figure, but haven't got around to buying him yet. Why do you reduce his movement, is it to nerf his plague rot area weapon?

Aye. That and his reduced healing cost make him a pretty powerful tank unit, so I make him slower to compensate - requiring extra dice to get where he needs. It's just a little nerf, but I find it makes things much more fun (and balanced, IMHO).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other side of things. I found the Chaos Sorcerer Lord to be incredibly underwhelming. His most interesting thing is a potential of doubling his damage on a roll of 6. If he kills with said roll of 6 he gains renown.

So he levels super slow & dosnt do much. But I've only played him once. So I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:

So he levels super slow & dosnt do much. But I've only played him once. So I could be wrong.

I haven't played him, but you probably aren't These heroes are definitely not all created equal.

As I introduce more heroes, I will be going with a random allocation rather than letting players choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.