Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: with two? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivo Hackman
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
I am getting this game tonight from post, waiting to get my hands on it.. I will definetely play solo, but one question came to my mind..

Is it possible to play with a friend against the AI? I think that in this game you dont count the unit's action points, so you dont have a certain activated unit at all. So in this light it might be possible to play with a friend and command separate units for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory you could command separate units - but why not play against each other as a 2 player game as normal.

I am assuming that you are fully aware that you need the original COH AtB to play with the Solo expansion so I would have thought it better to play with a human opponent rather than the AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Hackman
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
Yea Im aware of that. But for me, having a chance to try it as a cooperative would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, any solo game can be played "cooperatively", but there won't be any tools to implement a feeling of distinct agency, which so many "alpha-player"-prone coops strive to achieve.

In my experience it's just hard to maintain interest while trying to play a solo game on "coop" mode, unless for teaching purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With just Eastern Front co-op might be quite uninspiring, as the scenarios are designed for 1vs1 battles. I mean, you could each command your own units, but it might make more sense to play it with just one group of units, and you both discuss the moves and execute them accordingly in agreement.

However, with the Firefight Generator co-op is more viable. You can setup a 4-player scenario, and then consolidate the two opponent players into a single AI. I've played this way a couple of times and it's worked nicely, though you might need to give some extra CAPs to the AI to balance it out.

Simo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:
With just Eastern Front co-op might be quite uninspiring, as the scenarios are designed for 1vs1 battles. I mean, you could each command your own units, but it might make more sense to play it with just one group of units, and you both discuss the moves and execute them accordingly in agreement.

However, with the Firefight Generator co-op is more viable. You can setup a 4-player scenario, and then consolidate the two opponent players into a single AI. I've played this way a couple of times and it's worked nicely, though you might need to give some extra CAPs to the AI to balance it out.

Simo

This is a fantastic idea. I'll have to try this myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivo, we actually have one player play the AI and do all of its moves. This is surprisingly fun and satisfying for both players!
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
Ivo, we actually have one player play the AI and do all of its moves. This is surprisingly fun and satisfying for both players!
Uwe

I'm not sure if this was a joke or not. I think the OP was looking for a co-op experience, which I also think would be a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
Uwe

I've actually played a few times with the AI controlling both sides, with some very interesting results. It turns out to be a lot deeper and involved than you would expect - a brilliant example of the fantastic system at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt. Winters
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
uweeickert wrote:
Uwe

I'm not sure if this was a joke or not. I think the OP was looking for a co-op experience, which I also think would be a lot of fun.

I'm sure it was meant for real and could be an interesting experience in learning new tactics. Iwo's idea is also nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
uweeickert wrote:
Uwe

I've actually played a few times with the AI controlling both sides, with some very interesting results. It turns out to be a lot deeper and involved than you would expect - a brilliant example of the fantastic system at work.

I actually did this while designing the Missions to make sure it was truly balanced. We also played them with 2 humans for the same reason. I've pitched AI vs AI CoH as an e-sport, but it has not caught on yet
Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.