Subject: "Stripped down" in what way? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how exactly they 'stripped down' this game. I guess they did more than just randomly removing 60 cards.

Are there mechanisms left out, boat colours gone, or just a smaller deck?
Will the rules still be the same, but with less cards, or are there any other smart changes?

Curious to know, since I'm a big Port Royal fan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the image of the back of the box (sorry, don't know how to link that), there seem to be passengers which give points but don't do anything else. There also seems to be a new character that gives you a point if you take a ship of a certain color (very interesting!!). Moreover, there is a changed tax card that lets you discard to 8 cards if you have more than 9.

So it seems it will be a simplified version. But I too am very curious to know what else is new/changes/left out. Are the admirals/governors/mademoiselles/jesters still in (can imagine they aren't)? And what about the expeditions and their characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many persons were removed, but the one Annemarie mentioned, was added. This person can also be used for the base game. There are no expeditions. Swords & repelling of ships work the same. You play for less VPs. Overall easier and faster, I would say 20-30 minutes. It's more about risk management and less about engine building. It's more an introduction to Port Royal or a great present to non-gamers or for those, who want to have all available persons for PR or a fun game, when you only have 20 minutes time to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Alexander!! I'm very excited for this since I found out about the new character. I think that will work great with the Trader and Clerk from the base game and expansion.

So to sum up, there will be passengers, sailors and the new character.. Anything else? Are the traders still in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, nothing else. Very basic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always love it when the designer takes the time to answer the questions on BGG.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I looked up the back cover image on BGG now, too. What puzzles me is, that there is a 3 VP Passenger for 7 coins (so the same price as a 3 VP Sailor and obviously a worse buy, if not purchased as the only card available to win the game on the same turn), but also one for 4 coins, but the amount of VPs is not revealed on the cover.

I am a little surprised, that the Passengers are not scaled linear like the rest of the persons. I wonder, if the 4 coin passenger will be "even worse", netting only 1 VP, or will be cheaper and grant 2 VP. Initially I was suspecting, there would be Passengers with 1 VP for 2 coins, 2 VP for 4 and 3 VP for 6. (And obviously, for the 2 coin Passengers the phrase "costing 3 coins - or less in the future" in the rules of "Just One More Contract" for "cheap staff" would come to mind.)

From what I see now, I suspect, only the new character "Wholesaler" (and maybe a couple of ships, to keep the ship-person-ratio up) will really make sense to integrate in other games of "Port Royale", am I wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2VP passenger costs 4 coins. I think the passenger can be added to the base as well. Yes 3VP for 7 coins is not a fantastic deal at the begining of the game, but in the middle and end of a game, I would hire him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast reply. I'm still a little in doubt, if I would buy the 3 VP passenger "in the middle" of a game, being as expensive as a soldier or merchant of the same value without any benefit. At the end, sure I would.

Initially I was a little lukewarm about this game. I neither saw the need for a "more portable" version of "Port Royal", nor an "easier to approach" one. However, though I still don't consider the first essential (not because I don't like to take PR with me, but I can very much do so with the original base game), I think, I can make use of the second one. I have a fellow at work, who likes playing game (and we have occasionally time for that), but mostly trick taking or Yahtzee style games. I introduced him to regular "Port Royal", but although he seemed to enjoy it, he stated, that I should admit, that it is a "rather complicated game". So, I will get "Unterwegs" for playing with him (after a wile, I'll probably return for a second attempt to original PR), and also look forward to add the wholesaler to the games with my regular group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the card you mean with 1 sword, 3 VPs and cost of 7 is only once in the deck. Yes, this card is superior. But it will be bought fast if it shows up.

I think there is a market for an easier, shorter and cheaper version of Port Royal. It's part of a new line and maybe they will sell these games in non-gaming shops. Who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, that's true. There is only one 3 VP sailor (and no 3 VP trader) in the original deck. Didn't thought about that.

I was surprised of my co-workers confusion, especially since I easily introduced the family of my cousin to regular "Port Royal", although the boy is just 7 years old. (And he was particularly digging the game, although it was well received by all of them.) But yes, if "Unterwegs" is replacing at least some of the decks of "Uno", "Phase 10" and the like, it will sure serve it's purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shlomi ben-naim
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
i was hoping this would be the 2nd expansion to port royal but it looks like this is the family version of port royal.
will this work with the expansion? i don't see how you can fulfill contracts with these new cards. but it does seem you can add these cards to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can add these cards to the base game and then play it with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the distribution of ships to people still the same as it was in the original Port Royal? 1:12 ratio I think. Wondering if adding in all/some of the cards to the base game would keep the same Ratio?

Sidenote: I would totally buy a box that could hold all three games sleeved (sleeved the first two and having trouble finding it a nice home)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't calculated the exact ratio, but in the rules you find the ships and persons, which can be used for the base game. So don't only add the persons, but also the ships mentioned in the rules.
If you add all the cards of "Port Royal Unterwegs" to the base game, the probability of certain cards like expeditions go down a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.