6 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Skip the base game and start with A Prophecy of Dragons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cos
msg tools
mbmbmb
This might seem odd, but I'll be playing the game with my 7- and 12-year-olds. I read that Asylum and The Marcy Case have some explicit content, and that A Prophecy of Dragons is the most kid-friendly among the scenarios. I know there are a few references that I'll miss if I don't play them in order, but I'd like to ask--will the expansion be playable if I skip the first three, or are there too many things that we'll miss that we'll be lost? If it's playable, will it be a lot less enjoyable by not playing the others first? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Castejon
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't do it. I had new players for Prophecy of Dragons, and it was quite more involved that the previous ones.
There are also some references to the previous games, but nothing really important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It maybe a little harder to learn since it's a little advanced. But all stories can be played separately. Since you would have missed the "meta story" in the previous stories you maybe miss references to it.
I think PoD has the most "meta story", UtM has less but adds a new gameplay element so maybe start with PoD.

I'd say you can play Asylum and Marcy with you 12 year old but since they're both a bit in a horror scenario (though very different) it's not suitable for a 7 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you need the base game to play why don't you flip through the deck a little? Or at least take a look at the cards in the first room to get a real sense of the look/feel of the game. I don't think the base game is that bad. The puzzle might be a little bit above his paygrade but even then he may see things you guys don't (in a good way).

There are some scary elements but you could always go with him to certain spaces and read the card first if you were too worried. I think he wouldn't necessary think certain elements are "bad" unless he was told to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly,it really depends on what you think is appropriate or not. Asylum is think is perfectly fine, although the "story" is supposed to be creepy. I wouldn't call it scary though. There is also drug references but that can pretty easily be explained away I think.

Marcy Case is the same. It implies a lot but I honestly don't remember anything that graphic or scary about it. Plus the artwork here is much more like a comic-book which I think minimizes the impact as well.

Meanwhile, Prophesy of Dragons is by far the most complex of the scenarios (and my least favorite so far). It IS the most family friendly but I think it is also the least interesting.

I guess it is up to you to decide. Your 12 year old certainly would be fine. I didn't play with my 8 year old (we did Prophesy a bit before he lost interest) but not because I was worried about the content. We just had friends over and the kids played something else. But they came by to watch us from time to time and there wasn't anything I was worried about him seeing or hearing.

But everyone is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
Check out my Steam game moving app "Game Pipe" on GitHub: https://github.com/DjScribbles/GamePipe/releases
badge
Real holographic simulated evil Lincoln is back!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scylus wrote:
This might seem odd, but I'll be playing the game with my 7- and 12-year-olds. I read that Asylum and The Marcy Case have some explicit content.

I never encountered any explicit content that I recall in Marcy Case (doesn't mean it isn't there though), although I didn't enjoy it as much as the base. I haven't played Prophecy either.

However, I believe there is one specific event that happens in the base game that is where this impression came from. Here is what it is, and where I remember seeing it (so you could avoid it if you like):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the Pharmacy (or Nurses office or something like that), there is a male Dr/Nurse in the corner who if approached by a female character will rape them.

Obviously, the spoiler contains some mention of something explicit, but nothing graphic, and is indeed a spoiler as well.

Edit: Also, there may be skimpy clothes and/or mild nudity on the cards that I've forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.