Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: answer_in_the_rulebook [+] [View All]
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i) Can you destroy an ageing card as soon as it is drawn, or later, without activating it, if you have a destroy card?

ii) Does the Stop (ageing card) stop you drawing further additional cards if it is drawn on the right side of the hazard card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i) You can destroy them any time you can or want. If you do this most of them doesn't affect you as they work at the end of battle.
ii) Only free cards on the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Radziol wrote:
i) You can destroy them any time you can or want. If you do this most of them doesn't affect you as they work at the end of battle.
ii) Only free cards on the left.

Agreed.

And just to confirm as example, if you draw a Stop ageing card as one of your free draws, but have an unused Destroy action available, you can destroy that Stop ageing card then carry on drawing your free cards (up to the limit on the hazard, as usual).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now I realise that you CAN destroy aging cards.
I (wrongly) assumed it was only starting or hazard cards in the fighting deck.
Always nice to find something that will help with this buggering game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
To clarify further:

1) You can destroy a card as soon as it is drawn but remember that if it is a card that is on the left of the hazard, a destroyed card is turned face down until the end of the battle. It still uses one of your free draw slots.

2) The 'Stop' card does not prevent you drawing further cards, it only means you must pay for them with life points (just as when you have reached your free draw allowance). Hence it has no effect if you draw it on the right side because you have to pay for additional cards anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MLBath wrote:

Yes, being able to destroy ageing cards with the Destroy action is VERY useful, as having to otherwise intentionally lose against a hazard and spend 2 life to destroy them would make the game considerably harder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
MLBath wrote:

That would be a major handicap if you couldn't destroy ageing cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
To clarify further:

1) You can destroy a card as soon as it is drawn but remember that if it is a card that is on the left of the hazard, a destroyed card is turned face down until the end of the battle. It still uses one of your free draw slots.

2) The 'Stop' card does not prevent you drawing further cards, it only means you must pay for them with life points (just as when you have reached your free draw allowance). Hence it has no effect if you draw it on the right side because you have to pay for additional cards anyway.

To clarify your clarification: laugh

The rules explicitly state that the "Stop" card only has its effect if it is drawn on the left side. And in itself it doesn't make you pay for cards, it just prevents free draws on the left (it doesn't affect cards that let you draw +1 card etc).

So if for some reason you drew the "Stop" card on the right before you'd drawn all your free cards on the left, you would still get to draw free cards on the left. (If you know the "Stop" card is coming up, e.g. from using a "Sort 3" card, you can deliberately draw the Stop card on the right so it has no effect.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:

The rules explicitly state that the "Stop" card only has its effect if it is drawn on the left side. And in itself it doesn't make you pay for cards, it just prevents free draws on the left (it doesn't affect cards that let you draw +1 card etc).

So if for some reason you drew the "Stop" card on the right before you'd drawn all your free cards on the left, you would still get to draw free cards on the left. (If you know the "Stop" card is coming up, e.g. from using a "Sort 3" card, you can deliberately draw the Stop card on the right so it has no effect.)

To ask a question about your clarification:

The rules say:
rules wrote:
After drawing the free cards you can »sacrifice« additional life points and place them back into the reserve to draw 1 fighting card for each sacrificed life point. You place the additional card(s) on the right side of the hazard card.

The "after drawing the free cards" qualification makes me wonder if you can choose to spend lives to draw cards on the right if you have not in fact finished drawing your free cards. I don't know or remember offhand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
MLBath wrote:

Yes it would. You'd have to be an elite player or a bit of a nugget to play the game without this rule! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:

The rules say:
rules wrote:
After drawing the free cards you can »sacrifice« additional life points and place them back into the reserve to draw 1 fighting card for each sacrificed life point. You place the additional card(s) on the right side of the hazard card.

The "after drawing the free cards" qualification makes me wonder if you can choose to spend lives to draw cards on the right if you have not in fact finished drawing your free cards. I don't know or remember offhand...

I don't believe you can choose to pay a life to draw a card on the right if you still have free draws available. However, if one of your free cards has a +Card ability, you could use that anytime, and any cards drawn in this way always go to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:

The rules say:
rules wrote:

Huh. Good question. I'd always thought you could do that, but your interpretation makes sense. I hadn't noticed that implication before.

I think you may be right about paying life to draw additional cards. But that doesn't apply to using special abilities:

rules wrote:
After drawing each fighting card you can always decide to use the special ability of any drawn faceup
fighting card (regardless of left or right cards) in any order you like.

It seems clear that you can do this before drawing all your free cards, if you want. So for example, let's say you have 4 free draws. You draw a "+2 cards" and then a "Sort 3 cards".

Now you can use both those abilities one after the other, before carrying on. So you use "Sort 3 cards" and see that 2 of the next cards are Aging cards. You can only discard one of them, but one of them is the "Stop" card. So you discard the other Aging card, then use the "+2 cards" to draw the "Stop" card and the other fighting card on the right.

Now you have 2 cards on the right, but can still draw 2 more free cards on the left.

Edit: just noticed that Dave said basically the same thing before me. Sorry Dave! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Quallen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:

The rules say:
rules wrote:

I'm trying to imagine a situation where one would actually DESIRE to pay for cards whilst they still have free draws available. Can anyone provide such a scenario?

To go along with Mark (and Dave): I frequently use the "Sort 3 Cards" ability before drawing all my free draws--especially if I know the 'Stop' card is floating around in that deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Quallen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MLBath wrote:
Fried Egg wrote:
MLBath wrote:

Yes it would. You'd have to be an elite player or a bit of a nugget to play the game without this rule! blush

You guys destroy your aging cards?

Whatta buncha wimps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
SSJGQ wrote:
I'm trying to imagine a situation where one would actually DESIRE to pay for cards whilst they still have free draws available. Can anyone provide such a scenario?

Sure. Look at the example I gave in my last post: you've drawn and used "Sort 3 cards" and find that 2 of them are aging cards, but one of those is the "Stop" card. At that point it becomes advantageous to draw cards on the right however you can, so you can discard the other aging card and draw the "Stop" card on the right.

In my example you also had the +2 card, but if you had no cards that gave you free draws, then spending a life point to draw the "Stop" card on the right might be well worth it. If it's allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Quallen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
SSJGQ wrote:

Sure. Look at the example I gave in my last post: you've drawn and used "Sort 3 cards" and find that 2 of them are aging cards, but one of those is the "Stop" card. At that point it becomes advantageous to draw cards on the right however you can, so you can discard the other aging card and draw the "Stop" card on the right.

In my example you also had the +2 card, but if you had no cards that gave you free draws, then spending a life point to draw the "Stop" card on the right might be well worth it. If it's allowed.

Ahh.. OK. I see that one more clearly now. The way I've always played (based on the "After you draw free cards you can <<sacrifice>>" rule) is that you would not be able to spend life, and that one of those aging cards must be drawn for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.