Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As part of something that I'm writing at the moment, I'm trying to think of the names of characters in games who are notable for being dead. Either their death precipitates the game (e.g. Dr Black in Cluedo), is the objective of the game (e.g. Dr Lucky in Kill Doctor Lucky) or is just an established fact (possibly Wu Feng in Ghost Stories - is he a ghost himself?).

I'm sure there are loads of games with stories that start "X is dead, all the Lords / Fairies / Court Jesters of the land are vying to claim the Throne / Title / Whatever..." - I just can't think of any specific examples.

All suggestion gratefully received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracula!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mysterium ghost player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:

Good example. Does the ghost have a name?

One of my first thoughts was the rich uncle in Last Will but he's not named anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The King Is Dead. (The King being Arthur.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
King Arthur in The King Is Dead? EDIT: ninja'd

All the players by the end in The Pursuit of Happiness?
The chickens in Chicken Caesar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these the dead character is unnamed (as far as I'm aware, I've not played any of these games):

Blue Moon Legends (Unnamed King)
Quote:
The once proud and strong Blue Moon City has been plunged into chaos. The Golden Dragon has fallen, the Holy Crystal of Psi has shattered, and the old King has drawn his last breath. Worse, Blue Moon, the creator of all things, has vanished and Blue Moon City is left without a ruler.

The King Is Dead (beaten to it above!)
Quote:
The King Is Dead is a board game of politics and power struggles set in Britain in the chaotic period following the death of King Arthur.

The Captain Is Dead (Unnamed Captain)
Quote:
Imagine that you are one of the crew in your favorite science fiction TV show. Now imagine that in the last 10 minutes of the show things have gone so badly that the captain is dead and you and the surviving members of your crew have to pull together and save the day yourselves!

Bill Shakespeare Is Dead (William Shakespeare)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:
ovis wrote:

Good example. Does the ghost have a name?

Ghosty McGhostface?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A potential aim in The Resistance: Avalon is for the evil side to kill Merlin. Though I wouldn't say Merlin was notable for being dead (possibly partly because he's an existing character and also doesn't get killed all the time Avalon unless he plays really badly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
All excellent examples. The King is Dead is good but I've already used it elsewhere in the same work so I'm looking for something else.

Having searched for "is Dead" in games I had also ruled out the unnamed Captain and Bill Shakespeare (as, in a gaming context, he's more notable for his work than his death - in Shakespeare for example).

Any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play scenario 2, 3 or 4 of Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game ... characters of movies 1,2 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it worth broadening your search to games that include "inheritance" in the description? I bet that'd get some results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
Is it worth broadening your search to games that include "inheritance" in the description? I bet that'd get some results.

Is there a way to search descriptions rather than just titles?

I can't find it under Advanced Search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games about...murder

Android starts with a murder, but I don't know that the victim is ever named.

In Mystery of the Abbey, the victim is Brother Adelmo.

I looked at Name of the Rose. Mystery Express, and Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, and they don't seem to name the victim.

NAME YOUR MURDER VICTIMS, DESIGNERS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crown of Exile

Quote:
Chaos reigns in the wake of the king's death. People are starving, the roads are dangerous to travel and the nation's foreign enemies have begun to stir at the borders. The kingdom cries out for a new ruler - and you are the head of a minor house who intend to answer that call... if you can do so before your adversaries take what should be yours.

Deck of Thieves

Quote:
The Arch Thief is dead, and the Pact of Thieves is broken.

Guillotine

Quote:
The French Revolution is famous in part for the use of the guillotine to put nobles to death
(Between others King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel has five victims: Mary Ann Nichols, Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride, Catherine Eddowes, and Mary Jane Kelly.

I don't remember if they are mentioned in the original game, but from the FFG page for the Letters from Whitechapel: Dear Boss expansion it looks like at least a couple of them are named on cards there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
Crown of Exile

Quote:
Chaos reigns in the wake of the king's death.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of - but they don't name the King.

Very much this:
Legomancer wrote:
NAME YOUR MURDER VICTIMS, DESIGNERS

Brother Adelmo is an excellent example.

It's been a few years since I read The Name of the Rose but I seem to remember that the book is something of a bloodbath (literally in one case) so there's no stand-out victim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Gloom?
The way to win is for your family to die miserably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
CalicoDave wrote:
Letters from Whitechapel has five victims: Mary Ann Nichols, Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride, Catherine Eddowes, and Mary Jane Kelly.

I don't remember if they are mentioned in the original game, but from the FFG page for the Letters from Whitechapel: Dear Boss expansion it looks like at least a couple of them are named on cards there.

Mary Nichols would be the perfect fit. It feels a little more macabre as she was a real person but it's the best so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although everyone is remembered by their profession rather than their name, Village is famous for its death mechanic. As you spend the game's main resource (time) you have to choose which family members will die of old age and get written into the village's chronicle if there are slots available for their profession. That's how you make most of your points and what triggers the final round of the game (either all the spaces on the chronicle or in the anonymous graves are filled).

Vikings that die during assaults in Raiders of the North Sea are sent to Valhalla and give you a good amount of points at the end of the game depending on how many you have there, but they don't have distinct names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
Although everyone is remembered by their profession rather than their name, Village is famous for its death mechanic.

Yes it is! How could I have forgotten that one? As you say, they're not named but "Village friar" or "Village worker" could fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the characters in Sword & Sorcery start dead or can fight on in some way when killed in game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:
mearendil wrote:
Although everyone is remembered by their profession rather than their name, Village is famous for its death mechanic.

Yes it is! How could I have forgotten that one? As you say, they're not named but "Village friar" or "Village worker" could fit the bill.

If so, the objective of One Night Ultimate Werewolf is to hang an unnamed werewolf (but an unnamed villager may very well be hanged instead).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hesitated to use Werevolf because EVERYONE dies there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J'Accuse!
Quote:
M. Harpagon Richard is most decidedly dead, though not nearly soon enough for YOUR tastes, the old miser.

The Heirs
Quote:
Four generations of Henry Smith's siblings have been waiting for 90 years, for only two of the qualified heirs, Emily and Jacob, brother and sister, to turn sixteen by 2006 and enter into genealogy battle with their numerous ancestors and trustees about what being the "smartest" heir means.

No idea about the quality of either of these games. I'd not heard of either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.