18 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: New Player - Which Version (New or Old)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Wielopolski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Having recently found the joy that is Carcassonne meeple, I would like opinions on which versions + expansions are the best to get? I understand that there are 2 art style versions.

I have so far seen 3 box versions:

- Knight on white horse, bearded man with cloak and sword. (presume the old art style)
- Knight on white horse, maid with red hat (Includes The River). (presume new revision, old art style)
- Knight (without helmet) and maiden on battlements. (presume new art style)

2 caveats to my choices:

- I am a OCD collector, if there are expansions, I will obsessively try to get them all. Within the boundaries of the art style.

- Art style, old or new, is not an issue for me, as long as both game and extensions match. It would drive me mad if the art styles didn't match.

Now as I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong:

- The old art style is no longer having expansions made for it, yet the new versions do not have all the expansions converted into the new art style (yet!).

- The old style is now classed as OOP, so getting rarer/expensive.

Questions:

- Is the newer art style getting all the expansions made for it, or has that idea been abandoned?

- Is there a list of which extensions are compatible with each art style?

- Are there any expansions for the old art style, not yet available for the new art style, that should influence my decision?

- How can I tell which expansions is for which art style?

- Any issues with language/publisher versions?

So.... the big question.

Would collecting the newer art style versions be better, or the old art style?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions that are well worth getting:
- Inns & Cathedrals
- Traders & Builders

They are both available for both old and new art styles.

As to other expansions, the old art style has lots, and the new art style doesn't yet have all of them; I don't know if Z-Man plans on releasing all the old-art-style expansions for the new-art-style.

If you're OCD about expansions, the old art style would be the way to go at this point in time, but it'll be expensive. Instead, you could just wait until more of the original expansions come out in the new art style, but not all may do that.

As far as I know, the only expansion in the new art style that's NOT in the old style is the Abbot, which comes with the new-art-style base-game (along with the River, which is available in old and new art styles).

You can still get some of the old-art-style expansions from the Hans-Im-Gluck website shop, but it'll be in German, and you'd have to pay shipping costs from Germany obviously.

Personally, if I was starting to collect Carcassonne + expansions right now, I'd go for the new edition merely for the availability (despite not liking the new art style), and wait for whichever expansions they reprint in the new art style to pick up as and when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an expansion-loving completist, but I prefer the old art. So my answer (partly driven by thrifting a copy of the base game) has been to control my acquisitive disorder by only getting expansions with the old art and refusing to pay a premium for them. I've been fairly successful at this by finding overlooked copies in brick-and-mortar shops.

Nobody really needs every Carc expansion, and playing with more than two of them at a time starts to feel stupidly complicated for a game that has a certain simplicity as its strong point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
As to other expansions, the old art style has lots, and the new art style doesn't yet have all of them; I don't know if Z-Man plans on releasing all the old-art-style expansions for the new-art-style.
Technically, Hans im Glück is responsible for releasing expansions, although Z-Man is the company's English-language distributor.

Currently three large expansions are released in the new art:
• 1. Inns & Cathedrals
• 2. Traders & Builders
• 3. Princess & Dragon

Expansion 5. Abbey & Mayor should also be out shortly, and we can probably expect a Big Box 6 to release around the same time (October perhaps?). Other expansions will follow, with the only one permanently OOP being 7. The Catapult (although we will see if they renumber expansions 8-9 or do something else).

Additionally, there are two small expansions in the new art:
• The Labyrinth (single tile magazine promo)
• The Japanese Temples (available from Cundco.de)

There is no word on how other small expansions will be dealt with. I suspect many will be bundled in new larger box expansions like they did with Count, King & Cult, but only time will tell. A few expansions such as The School, The Festival, The Phantoms, and any of the Spielbox-exclusive expansions may never be re-released in the new art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Phantom just came with translucent plastic meeple didn't it? In which case the art style is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The German Edition of Abbey and Mayor is already available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wielopolski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the answers, I went and bought the new version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you enjoy playing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wielopolski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am, bought a couple of the expansions already too. I shall name the dragon, Stompy.

I also noticed that there is a 2016 new art style version of The Tower in German.

http://www.allgames4you.de/Carcassonne-der-Turm-4-Erweiterun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhoobarb2005 wrote:
I am, bought a couple of the expansions already too. I shall name the dragon, Stompy.

I also noticed that there is a 2016 new art style version of The Tower in German.

http://www.allgames4you.de/Carcassonne-der-Turm-4-Erweiterun...

Yep, apparently only the 3rd expansion and 5th expansion reprints got announced before this, no mention of the 4th. But yeah, Z-man's planning on releasing the 3rd soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:

• 1. Inns & Cathedrals
• 2. Traders & Builders
• 3. Princess & Dragon

Expansion 5. Abbey & Mayor should also be out shortly,

I've seen the German new art editions of Princess and Dragon and Abbey and Mayor but not English prints. Does anyone know if they exist/are forthcoming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:

• 1. Inns & Cathedrals
• 2. Traders & Builders
• 3. Princess & Dragon

Expansion 5. Abbey & Mayor should also be out shortly,

I've seen the German new art editions of Princess and Dragon and Abbey and Mayor but not English prints. Does anyone know if they exist/are forthcoming?
They are forthcoming, but when precisely is up to Z-Man Games. I suspect Princess & Dragon will be out by Christmas, not sure about Abbey & Mayor, though. Even images of the German version of that are difficult to find. The Tower will not release in English until the other two expansions are already out (unless they release simultaneously, which seems unlikely).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wielopolski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OK, as an update, I now have Inns & Cathedrals (German version), Builders & Traders (English version) and The Princess & Dragon (German version).

The Abbey & Mayor (German version) is in the process of delivery, and I now have my eyes on the new Tower expansion (German version), The Watchtowers mini expansion and The Labyrinth tile.

Aside from the Essen special tiles, are there any other mini expansions for 2.0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Japanese Monasteries. They're available at Cundco.de. Bridges, Castles & Bazaars and Count, King & Cult should be releasing sometime this year as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wielopolski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well, I now have The Tower, Labyrinth and Watchtowers as well. So at the moment I have a complete (with caveats) 2.0 collection. I have seen the artwork for the others, looks nice. I hope that they change their mind regarding catapult, if only for completion sake.

I am looking forward to the manege frei! expansion though.

I don't think I will go for the Japanese Monasteries, from the looks of it they don't add anything to the game.

And I don't think I will get the Essen specials, the price they go for is beyond what I would be reasonably willing to pay.

So the OCD completionist in me is satiated for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhoobarb2005 wrote:
I don't think I will go for the Japanese Monasteries, from the looks of it they don't add anything to the game.
If you don't have any of the "Monasteries" expansions yet, get this one. It definitely adds to the game in a quite fun (and sometimes game-altering) way. I love playing with the Monasteries. I don't like the Japanese Monasteries theme, but I do like the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wielopolski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Whaleyland wrote:
If you don't have any of the "Monasteries" expansions yet, get this one. It definitely adds to the game in a quite fun (and sometimes game-altering) way. I love playing with the Monasteries. I don't like the Japanese Monasteries theme, but I do like the rules.

Mmm, I hadn't checked before. The listings I had read said they replace the monasteries.

The German ones are in the old style, yes?

Thanks for the responses Whaleyland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhoobarb2005 wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:

Mmm, I hadn't checked before. The listings I had read said they replace the monasteries.

The German ones are in the old style, yes?

Thanks for the responses Whaleyland
They replace them, but they add new rules too. And yes, the German Monasteries and the Dutch Monasteries are in the old style. Only the Japanese Monasteries are in the new art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.