Subject: How long are 2 player games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone, just a quick question: how long are 2 player games (each controlling just one investigator)? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zed
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Roughly ~2 hours and under, depending on Play Time/how experienced you are/Set up Pull down routine/if you take your turns separately and read out each encounter. Ect ect memes and dreams and stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do this and it takes anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It usually takes me and my wife around 2 hours to play (depending on how well we do; certainly some games have been much shorter, lol). That doesn't factor in set up and tear down though which combined add another 15-20 mins for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play anywhere between 1 hour (some real bad luck) to 3 hours.
We do take our time to read al encounters out loud and get into the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I, playing 2 investigators each, knock out a game in 2-3 hours. We are pretty experienced though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Cordovan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
about 4hrs (2 inv each). looks like, that we are kinda slow ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stats site shows 1.8 ± 0.8 hours. I expect more experienced players are more likely to submit their game results, so I'd assume the upper end of that if you're less experienced, and between 1 and 1.8 hours if you're more experienced.

This doesn't include setup and tear down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan, Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
Anywhere from 1.5 -4 hours depending on how the game develops. I'd say 2.5 hours is about our average time with 2 players (after nearly 40 plays).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About three hours for me when we play two player including set up (set up is a bit long for this game.) Our games are usually a little slow though so faster players would be more like two hours including set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik L.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Playing time can be anything between 2 hours and 7 (!!!!) hours. Usually if things go well the game will be won in 2-3 hours. If things go bad and you are fighting for a tight "last second"-victory it will be 4-5 hours. And if you additionally draw that abomination of a mythos card which forces you to do the same mystery again it can finally be 7 hours.
But normally after some time it will be around 2,5 to 4 hours, I think - at least if you read out all the texts and stories aloud to each other. This simply takes time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maik L wrote:
Playing time can be anything between 2 hours and 7 (!!!!) hours. Usually if things go well the game will be won in 2-3 hours. If things go bad and you are fighting for a tight "last second"-victory it will be 4-5 hours. And if you additionally draw that abomination of a mythos card which forces you to do the same mystery again it can finally be 7 hours.
But normally after some time it will be around 2,5 to 4 hours, I think - at least if you read out all the texts and stories aloud to each other. This simply takes time.

7 hours sounds impossible for a two player game of EH. Note that the number of rounds is limited by the size of the Mythos deck so the longest the game can possibly run is that number of rounds. Even if you manage to draw the mythos card that makes you lose a solved mystery the timer isn't reset, you still have that time limit.

Now I did specify two players. I could see games with five or more players going much longer (which is why I never play with that many.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Two hours tops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik L.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
As I said: from my experience normally a 2-player game will be around 2,5 - 4 hours (with reading everything, cooperative planning etc.).

Yet, we have had 5, 6 and 7 hour games (1x7 hour game) with - to be more specific 2 players playing 2 characters each (this set up is highly likely, I think). And as I said, they tend to be the ones going "bad". I think a mythos-deck has 15 (or so) cards in it - which means 15 rounds of playing time. Now, if you read everything out, plan together etc. a round can easily take 20 minutes. For four characters that would be 5 minutes each (not much!). So that's already 5 hours of pure playing time. Then comes extra-time when characters die more and more when you are closer to the end of the game, more planning because things get complicated etc.. As much as I like the game that was a bit much for me but luckily enough the other plays have been shorter.

Interestingly enough I found out that a round of Arkham Horror goes much faster because of less text (not everybody having a story-encounter) and fewer planning.

Nevertheless most (90%) of our games are shorter now.

dugman wrote:

7 hours sounds impossible for a two player game of EH. Note that the number of rounds is limited by the size of the Mythos deck so the longest the game can possibly run is that number of rounds. Even if you manage to draw the mythos card that makes you lose a solved mystery the timer isn't reset, you still have that time limit.

Now I did specify two players. I could see games with five or more players going much longer (which is why I never play with that many.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
I can't imagine a player's turn taking longer than 2-3 minutes (if that). I think I'd shoot myself if a game ever went over 3 hours. I don't even see how that's possible given the timer inherent in the mythos deck. Even if you take 10 minutes per round in a 2-player game, the game should be over in under 3 hours. We played a 4-player game last weekend and it only took 2.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaque Lazaro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Around here I and my girlfriend play with 2 investigators each and the games tend to take 3 hours, but when I play solo (with 2 investigators), it takes around 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took us 2 hours and 20 minutes to finish our first game, including setup! Granted, we've played against Azathoth so we lost as soon as Doom reached 0, but I think it should not take us more than 2 hours from now on, since we've spent probably half an hour looking through the rulebook. Love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.