Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm, a defender may take final op fire when an enemy unit moves into an adjacent hex (ignoring facing for the time being), but there is no final op fire when the adjacent enemy unit moves into the defender's hex to initiate melee. Is this correct?

This would also mean that if a unit starts adjacent to an enemy unit, it could move into the enemy unit's hex without triggering opportunity fire, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United Kingdom
St Ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a separate rule that lets opportunity fire happen if they start a move adjacent and want to move into your hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Michael says, see Exception in the left-hand column at the bottom of page 4: "Op Fire MAY be conducted at a moving unit in the hex in which it began the turn if the first hex it enters places it in Melee."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. One more op fire question. If an enemy unit moves to an open adjacent hex and the op firing unit is not marked used or suppressed, is the modifier +7 (+3 for adjacent and +4 for moving in open)? I think the +3 adjacency bonus is limited in final op fire to the original fire factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
cillmhor wrote:
As Michael says, see Exception in the left-hand column at the bottom of page 4: "Op Fire MAY be conducted at a moving unit in the hex in which it began the turn if the first hex it enters places it in Melee."
I read this rule the same way but I can see how it might be confusing. The exception is specific to Op Fire (9.0) and in Final Op Fire (10.0) it states "Unlike Op Fire, Final Op Fire may only be conducted against moving units that are adjacent"(bolded in the rulebook). I suggest maybe making it more clear that the exception applies to both Op Fire and Final Op Fire. I believe it would make more sense to unify both OF/FOF under a common section but that is probably asking too much.

dakjck wrote:
One more op fire question. If an enemy unit moves to an open adjacent hex and the op firing unit is not marked used or suppressed, is the modifier +7 (+3 for adjacent and +4 for moving in open)? I think the +3 adjacency bonus is limited in final op fire to the original fire factor.
In your example the modifier would be at least +7 (as you showed). However the firing unit would also receive +1 to its Proficient FP up to its Normal FP because it wasn't marked with an Op Fire counter and its Proficiency FP is usually less than its Normal FP. So in most cases the adjacent unit is in for a +8 Proficiency FP attack and a very bad day. If the firing unit was marked with an Op Fire counter it would be a +7 Normal FP attack (which for most units would be the same or even 1 FP better than the +8 attack).

If the firer were marked as used and firing Final Opportunity Fire the calculation would be the same with an additional -2 for FOF = +6 (still a very nasty attack). The +3 adjacency modifier is independent of the situational +1 FP for adjacent capped by its Normal FP.

The moral of this story: don't move in the open anywhere near the enemy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
CaseyN60 wrote:
In your example the modifier would be at least +7 (as you showed). However the firing unit would also receive +1 to its Proficient FP up to its Normal FP because it wasn't marked with an Op Fire counter and its Proficiency FP is usually less than its Normal FP. So in most cases the adjacent unit is in for a +8 Proficiency FP attack and a very bad day. If the firing unit was marked with an Op Fire counter it would be a +7 Normal FP attack (which for most units would be the same or even 1 FP better than the +8 attack).

If the firer were marked as used and firing Final Opportunity Fire the calculation would be the same with an additional -2 for FOF = +6 (still a very nasty attack). The +3 adjacency modifier is independent of the situational +1 FP for adjacent capped by its Normal FP.

The moral of this story: don't move in the open anywhere near the enemy!

I think it's the reverse for the +1 bonus, you get it if you're marked for Op fire. So the situations are:

1. +3+4+1 = +8 assuming opponent adjacent, moving in open, and firing unit marked with Op fire,
2. +3+4 = +7 assuming opponent adjacent, moving in open, and firing unit unmarked,
3. +3+4-2 = +5 assuming opponent adjacent, moving in open, and firing unit USED (i.e. using final op fire)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CaseyN60 wrote:
If the firing unit was marked with an Op Fire counter it would be a +7 Normal FP attack

(I don't think that's correct; the Op Fire marker gives you +1 FP, but it's still using your Proficient FP, not your Normal FP.)

temujin1206 wrote:
I think it's the reverse for the +1 bonus, you get it if you're marked for Op fire. So the situations are:

1. +3+4+1 = +8 assuming opponent adjacent, moving in open, and firing unit marked with Op fire,
2. +3+4 = +7 assuming opponent adjacent, moving in open, and firing unit unmarked,
3. +3+4-2 = +5 assuming opponent adjacent, moving in open, and firing unit USED (i.e. using final op fire)

You get +1 to your Proficient FP for each of the following cases, but these bonuses can't raise your Proficient FP above your Normal FP (see 9.0, near top right of page 4):
- adjacent
- marked with an Op Fire marker
- spending a CP

So, for units with a Proficient FP at least two below their Normal FP, those totals above should be 1 higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I got this wrong. Op Fire always uses Proficient FP even when designated with an Op Fire counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm something for me, is the +3 adjacent modifier cumulative with the Op Fire +1 adjacent modifier mentioned on the PAC? And does that +1 Op Fire adjacency modifier apply to Final Op Fire too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to both. Final Op Fire simply incurs an additional -2 penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I have it down now hopefully, off to play Bloody Gulch where there will be quite a bit of Op Fire!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.