Arboretum» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing cards to your arboretum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: making_stuff_up [+] [View All]
Richard Hammer

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have been misinterpreting the rules and making the game slightly more difficult.

The rules say that you must place a card adjacent to an existing card. They also say that in order to score a path, the numerical values of those cards must be ascending along the route of the path.

Ok, so somehow I have been interpreting those two rules together to mean that in order to place a card into your arboretum, it must be not only adjacent to one that is already there, but it must also be of a higher value than the one previous to it in the path.

For example, if I've created a path of maple trees straight across from left to right starting with a value-3 card, like this:

...and then later in the game I draw a value-1 maple, I can't then play that card at the beginning of the path, to the left of the 3:

Or can I?

Have we been playing it wrong and making the game more challenging than it needs to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can. I don't believe you are required to place the cards in ascending order either... but when you score the path has to be in ascending order with the end points being of the same color/type tree.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hammer

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm smacking my forehead right now, but fortunately I've only taught the game to my wife and some family members that almost never play games, so my error is rectifiable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atticus653 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm smacking my forehead right now, but fortunately I've only taught the game to my wife and some family members that almost never play games, so my error is rectifiable.
Been there, done that... multiple times. Doh!

meeple Keep playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play any card anywhere provided it Is orthogonally adjacent (up down or sideways) to another of your cards.

You can only score if
1. your path starts and ends with the same suit. It can have other suits in the middle
2. The cards to ncrease in value from one card to the next. Regardless of whether that card is above, below, right or left of the previous card
So

8 2 3
7 6 5

Will score 6 points IFF the 2&8 are the same suit. Plus the bonus for the 8. And of course assuming you earn the right to score.
You could legally have played the cards in order 2,6,8,3,7,5 among other possibilities.
Playing 8,6,5,7,2,3 would not be legal as the 8&6 are not orthogonally adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atticus653 wrote:
Ok, so somehow I have been interpreting those two rules together to mean that in order to place a card into your arboretum, it must be not only adjacent to one that is already there, but it must also be of a higher value than the one previous to it in the path.

Fascinating how you conjoined the concepts. Your example is about placing a "1". If we work literally according to your description above, we could never place the "1" because it is a lower value than every other card already there.

(and should I hope that is what eventually helped you discover your error?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hammer

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Atticus653 wrote:

Fascinating how you conjoined the concepts. Your example is about placing a "1". If we work literally according to your description above, we could never place the "1" because it is a lower value than every other card already there.

(and should I hope that is what eventually helped you discover your error?)

I should clarify by saying I only formed that rule in my head in relation to adding cards to existing paths, not in the creation of new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atticus653 wrote:
I should clarify by saying I only formed that rule in my head in relation to adding cards to existing paths, not in the creation of new ones.

That language leaves me wondering a bit if it helped lead you astray. I think of each turn as simply adding cards to a grid, with an eye toward creating good paths, but I don't lock on to them as "paths" until it is time for scoring at the end. I'm waiting to see if better cards show up.

Perhaps once you labeled several cards as a "path" mid game you then limited yourself about adding more based on the scoring rule (rather than the freedom of the placement rule) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.