Hide
9 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: Ascendancy or Fleet Captains? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools
So... if you have Fleet Captains.. what reason is there to get this new one.. and if not, why get this over Captains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different levels of gameplay. Fleet Captains works at the ship level, with individual unique ships and crew making a difference on the map.

Ascendancy is a game that plays over hundreds of years, so a lot of the person level details are abstracted and you play at the system management level of things.

I guess it depends on whether you want to see TNG era characters face off over a single unexplored sector, or you want to carry your empire to greatness over all others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kizilis
United Kingdom
Ashford
KENT
flag msg tools
badge
Jolan Tru!
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
So... if you have Fleet Captains.. what reason is there to get this new one.. and if not, why get this over Captains?

Fleet Captains if you mainly have 2 players. Ascendacy if you have at least three.

Both, if you are a fanatic trekkie that couldnt give a Ferengi's ear wax worth of a damn about cost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
gkizilis wrote:
Fleet Captains if you mainly have 2 players. Ascendacy if you have at least three.

Fleet Captains can play more than 2 right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but I think it works better as either 2 or 4 players in teams. I don't like the 3 player balance in Fleet Captains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
gkizilis wrote:

Fleet Captains can play more than 2 right?

2 out of the box and up to 4 players with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Dreamshadow wrote:
Yes, but I think it works better as either 2 or 4 players in teams. I don't like the 3 player balance in Fleet Captains.

I'm an avid Fleet Captains fan and will offer that it plays best as a three player game, using the Romulan expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To address the OP's question... (but first, wondering why the question is posted in a Frontiers forum?... I guess maybe some confusion by the OP about which forum he/she was in. If so, I recognize all too often, the same behavior in myself)!

So while agreeing with the above comments WRT Ascendancy, I'll add to them with my personal opinion:

E Ascendancy was designed as a superb, innovative 4X style game upon which a Star Trek theme was pasted.

E Fleet Captains was designed as a Star Trek game upon which mechanics were designed to fit the theme.

That's the most succinct way I can sum it up.

Or perhaps, I can be even more succinct: One was designed as a 4X game. The other was designed as a thematic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking about Ascendancy or Frontiers here? Because I am so confused. Is this in the wrong game forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.