Subject: [CSI] Star Wars X-Wing Sale 9/1-9/4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tails

Rochester
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
X-Wing Mini's are on sale, and the Force Awakens core set is only $15.99!

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2834
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another FFG centered sale. Is it sign that LGS are making money hand over fist (I doubt it)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tails

Rochester
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since the big Asmodee price change my LGS has not lowered their prices on Asmodee products at all. They are still charging full MSRP on all those titles. I still buy anything FFG online from Amazon when stuff gets oddly discounted, or during sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
Another FFG centered sale. Is it sign that LGS are making money hand over fist (I doubt it)?

To me, it's more likely that the price increases online have resulted in fewer sales of ANA items, and the big retailers that were keeping a ton of this stuff in stock (and had preordered a ton of stock) are now having discounts to bring their stock in line with their expected future sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For CSI and others, it's my (admittedly general and possibly false) understanding that while FFG does not want everyday discounts below a certain level, they sanction periodic sales.

I'm hoping, as when this happened in July, that Armada will not be far behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zehner

Indiana
msg tools
If I don't have anything from this game and about $90 to spend. What should I get from this sale to get my wife and myself into this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ledet
msg tools
jzehner86 wrote:
If I don't have anything from this game and about $90 to spend. What should I get from this sale to get my wife and myself into this game?

Two of the Force Awakens starter sets (or one of each starter set) will give you all the dice you need and the templates and damage decks for two players. From there, the T-70 X-Wing and the TIE Fighter and TIE/fo (from Force Awakens) packs will give you enough for some decent squads for the Imperials and Rebels. Not exactly tournament quality but good for casual play and getting into it.

From there, go with the ships you think look cool or have an interest in for their ties to the IP. My personal recommendations are the Imperial and Rebel Aces sets which add the fun B-Wings, A-Wings, and TIE Interceptors to the game and generally have better pilots (and look cooler) than the stand-alone expansions for these ships. The big ships like the Millennium Falcon and Slave One are also fun and super-thematic for battles. I'm a big fan of the TIE Phantom as its cloaking device mechanics are really cool.

Most of the Rebel and Imperial ships follow a similar philosophy to the TIEs and X-Wing respectively (i.e. imperials are usually more fragile but more maneuverable with better defense and rebels are usually tougher and hit harder but don't get around as well).

I'd avoid the Scum faction until you're invested in the game since they are usually more complicated in their mechanics.

But again, outside of two core sets, I don't think there are any bad choices in X-Wing. Yes, some ships seem to do better in the top tournament meta but when it comes to casual play, getting the ships you like is a fine way to start. Once you start making maneuvers and rolling dice, you'll find the style you like. If you really want to maximize the variety of ships to get a taste of everything, that's another list but this should give you a nice sample while still keeping the iconic Star Wars flair.

In summary, I'd suggest 2 starter sets (either two of the Force Awakens starter or one of each), TIE Fighter expansion, TIE/fo expansion pack, T-70 X-Wing, Millennium Falcon, Slave One, Rebel Aces, and Imperial Aces. That'll get you the most iconic ships from the original trilogy and Force Awakens and a variety of different ships to mess around with.

EDIT: So after actually looking at the sale in detail and putting a cart together: the Millennium Falcon is not in the sale for some reason so drop that if sale price is a concern. The original core set is slightly more expensive but I'd still recommend getting one of each as there are significant differences between the ships in each and a few key pilots and upgrades (particularly for the X-Wing) in the original box including Luke Skywalker, R2-D2, and Biggs Darklighter. Outside of the ships and upgrades, the other differences between the two sets are the damage decks (either is usable in tournament play) and the asteroids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jzehner86 wrote:

Force awakens core set, Rebel Aces, Imperial Aces, Millennium Falcon, Slave I is a good starting point.

If you want to ditch Slave I and grab another core set (for more TIEs/dice/templates) that's a good choice too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jzehner86 wrote:

For strictly casual play, I'd say maybe 1 of each core set (or 2 of the Force Awakens one) with maybe the Imperial and Rebel Aces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catelldm wrote:
Since the big Asmodee price change my LGS has not lowered their prices on Asmodee products at all. They are still charging full MSRP on all those titles. I still buy anything FFG online from Amazon when stuff gets oddly discounted, or during sales.

FLGS prices from ANA didn't go down--OLGS prices went up. If your FLGS was charging MSRP before there's no new incentive to lower their prices.

Weatherwax2099 wrote:
jzehner86 wrote:

Two of the Force Awakens starter sets (or one of each starter set) will give you all the dice you need and the templates and damage decks for two players. From there, the T-70 X-Wing and the TIE Fighter and TIE/fo (from Force Awakens) packs will give you enough for some decent squads for the Imperials and Rebels. Not exactly tournament quality but good for casual play and getting into it.

From there, go with the ships you think look cool or have an interest in for their ties to the IP. My personal recommendations are the Imperial and Rebel Aces sets which add the fun B-Wings, A-Wings, and TIE Interceptors to the game and generally have better pilots (and look cooler) than the stand-alone expansions for these ships. The big ships like the Millennium Falcon and Slave One are also fun and super-thematic for battles. I'm a big fan of the TIE Phantom as its cloaking device mechanics are really cool.

This is great advice especially since the Force Awakens core set is only $15.99 right now, although I'd probably skip the Phantom for beginners since it's a bit trickier to deal with than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ledet
msg tools
MentatYP wrote:
I'd probably skip the Phantom for beginners since it's a bit trickier to deal with than others.

Good point. I mainly mentioned the Phantom as it was the ship that made me really fall in love with X-Wing and it embodies my favorite things about FFG's approach to Star Wars: coming up with interesting new mechanics and referencing the most obscure EU nonsense. I mean, really, the ship from Rebel Assault II is available in stores in 2016?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Johnson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the heads up on this sale! I just got some extra money in and was looking to invest in my X-Wing collection. I might have gone a bit overboard on it a bit, but I suppose having too much X-Wing gaming stuff isn't that big a problem ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wound up buying an Imperial Raider and an IG88 (and then some random stuff to get FS). I wish a couple more ships has been on sale, like the Kihraxz, K-Wing, and JM5K, but I already have a standing order with CardHaus for the Kihraxz and K-Wing from two weeks ago when the Gozanti Imperial Assault Carrier was $35 over there (I would have liked to cancel the CardHaus order and migrate everything to CSI since they have the Gozanti for the same price right now but I have a Ding and Dent copy of the new Flick Em Up expansion on the order, as well as Sushi Go Party which is OOS at CSI).

I have wanted the Imperial Raider for a while and this isn't the best price it had ever been anywhere but it is still a good one. And I have been looking at the high prices for it elsewhere while it was awaiting a reprint, and those prices haven't come down everywhere yet (Amazon and eBay), so $62 looks a lot more attractive right now than $100+. I've flown two Aces and an OGP Lambda quite a bit but didn't have Palp, so I had to make do with a Vader+FCS+Gunner-style DoomShuttle. Now I can fly PalpAces, which will fit my style of play a lot better.

And something else of note, that I saw on Reddit: The promo code "AZ13" takes $5 off of $75 or more. It takes the place of the loyalty discount if it is more though, so I didn't get to stack my 2.5% off with it. Made the Imperial Raider actually $58 for me (or made Potion Explosion or the new Smash Up expansion $5 cheaper, but I prefer to think I got a better deal on the Raider because of it, since I am fine with the prices on the rest of the items in my order).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ledet
msg tools
EYEL1NER wrote:

I have wanted the Imperial Raider for a while and this isn't the best price it had ever been anywhere but it is still a good one. And I have been looking at the high prices for it elsewhere while it was awaiting a reprint, and those prices haven't come down everywhere yet (Amazon and eBay), so $62 looks a lot more attractive right now than $100+. I've flown two Aces and an OGP Lambda quite a bit but didn't have Palp, so I had to make do with a Vader+FCS+Gunner-style DoomShuttle. Now I can fly PalpAces, which will fit my style of play a lot better.

Definitely the best huge ship to get for competitive play. It gives you Palpatine and turns Darth Vader's TIE Advanced into a top tier ship with a new title and upgrades. Plus it looks cool. Like a wee Star Destroyer covered in guns. The rebel transport's not a bad purchase either (winner at the GenCon nationals tournament this year used Wes Janson and some of the astromechs make it into a lot of successful squads) but its not quite as cool looking IMHO. The Assault Carrier brought a new success to the TIE fighter swarm and the Tantive IV...got pretty much invalidated when FFG put its only really great card as an entry reward for store championships. Whoops (but thank you FFG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do love the Ghost. Beast of a ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weatherwax2099 wrote:
EYEL1NER wrote:

Definitely the best huge ship to get for competitive play. It gives you Palpatine and turns Darth Vader's TIE Advanced into a top tier ship with a new title and upgrades. Plus it looks cool. Like a wee Star Destroyer covered in guns. The rebel transport's not a bad purchase either (winner at the GenCon nationals tournament this year used Wes Janson and some of the astromechs make it into a lot of successful squads) but its not quite as cool looking IMHO. The Assault Carrier brought a new success to the TIE fighter swarm and the Tantive IV...got pretty much invalidated when FFG put its only really great card as an entry reward for store championships. Whoops (but thank you FFG).

C-3PO being a promo definitely made the Tantive a lot less desirable for many. I bought the card for $9 or so on eBay just because I didn't expect to be buying a Tantive anytime soon thanks to the Asmodee/FFG "price hike." They would hit great prices on Amazon from time-to-time, especially Warehouse Deals listing with damaged box, but those haven't appeared in a while. I still look forward to getting one though for completionist purposes, and look forward to the Rebel Transport for the astromechs and pilots (those haven't been as cheap as they used to be either).

You're right about the look of the Raider though. Even if it didn't make the Advanced flyable, include Palps, and have some good crew cards, I would still want it for his cool it looks. A Star Destroyer with Interceptor-style wings? Yes, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
jzehner86 wrote:

(1) I would get one of each core set over two of the same set to diversify your cards and get the new damage deck.

(2) I would get as many different expansions as you can as opposed to multiples of the same pack to expand your pool of upgrade cards.

(3) Regarding the box expansions (Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces), I'd say Imperial Aces is a no-brainer over a TIE Interceptor expansion pack (although Imperial Aces costs more). On the other hand, I'd probably get the A-Wing and B-Wing expansion packs before I get Rebel Aces. In both cases, it's about getting a better variety of upgrade cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've found the d20radio.com buying guide to be very useful. You can see the Imperial, Rebel, and Scum recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ledet
msg tools
damiangerous wrote:
I've found the d20radio.com buying guide to be very useful. You can see the Imperial, Rebel, and Scum recommendations.

Definitely some good recommendations. I do like the tendency of FFG to overlap on upgrades usable by multiple ships so you don't generally have to purchase anything twice to get enough copies for a given list...at least over time. Though there are a few "upgrade card tax" ships that can basically be $15+ for a few upgrade cards that happen to include a nice plastic ship for free. Looking at you, Starviper.

Edit: Although forcing Imperial (and Resistance) players to buy him in order to get a near-essential upgrade is very thematic for Prince Xizor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jzehner86 wrote:

I have around 100 ships at this point. When it comes to casual play at home nothing past wave 3 hits the table. The first 3 waves play really well together and I think (with the exception of the HWK, it's only OT ships).

My personal recommendation from this sale would be:
2 original core sets (19.99 is a steal for 3 ships, dice, rulers, and templates).
1 TIE Fighter Expansion (Optional, contains Howlrunner but you'll have 4 TIE Fighters from the cores)
1 B-Wing Expansion
1 TIE interceptor expansion
1 A-Wing Expansion
1 Y-Wing Expansion
1 TIE Bomber Expansion
1 TIE Advanced Expansion

That'll run you 96.41 so maybe drop the TF expac. That will give you

Rebels
2 X-Wings (Including Luke Skywalker!)
1 B-Wing
1 A-Wing
1 Y-Wing

Imperials

1 TIE Advanced (With Dark Lord of the Sith himself, Darth Vader!)
5 TIE Fighters
1 TIE Interceptor
1 TIE Bomber

That is an incredible amount of gameplay at that price point. Really simple upgrades. Warms my heart even thinking about some classic and interesting lists you can make here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ledet
msg tools
Hopefully not too much of a faux pas to cross-reference between deal threads, but it's worth taking a look at the Barnes and Noble 40% off coupons being discussed in this thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631331/bn-mansions-madness...

With the 40% off, there are quite a few X-Wing minis that will still fall within the free shipping range, including some that are not in CSI's sale like the Millennium Falcon and the Ghost (from the Rebels cartoon). The coupons seem to be working multiple times and are not dependent on membership. Several people have used codes ( EFGPWNV1FRTEU is the first one I tried) with success.

If nothing else, good way to supplement your CSI haul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Weatherwax2099 wrote:
With the 40% off, there are quite a few X-Wing minis that will still fall within the free shipping range, including some that are not in CSI's sale like the Millennium Falcon and the Ghost (from the Rebels cartoon).

Thanks for that, I wasn't interested in Mansions of Madness so I wasn't checking that thread. The Millennium Falcon is tough to find with a good discount and free shipping. Unfortunately you lose the free shipping when you apply the coupon, but I'll just pick it up in store for <$20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
EastCoast wrote:
jzehner86 wrote:

I have around 100 ships at this point. When it comes to casual play at home nothing past wave 3 hits the table. The first 3 waves play really well together and I think (with the exception of the HWK, it's only OT ships).

My personal recommendation from this sale would be:
2 original core sets (19.99 is a steal for 3 ships, dice, rulers, and templates).
1 TIE Fighter Expansion (Optional, contains Howlrunner but you'll have 4 TIE Fighters from the cores)
1 B-Wing Expansion
1 TIE interceptor expansion
1 A-Wing Expansion
1 Y-Wing Expansion
1 TIE Bomber Expansion
1 TIE Advanced Expansion

That'll run you 96.41 so maybe drop the TF expac. That will give you

Rebels
2 X-Wings (Including Luke Skywalker!)
1 B-Wing
1 A-Wing
1 Y-Wing

Imperials

1 TIE Advanced (With Dark Lord of the Sith himself, Darth Vader!)
5 TIE Fighters
1 TIE Interceptor
1 TIE Bomber

That is an incredible amount of gameplay at that price point. Really simple upgrades. Warms my heart even thinking about some classic and interesting lists you can make here.

Yes, I like this recommendation a lot. The only change I would make is to get one of each core set rather than two of the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ledet
msg tools
ed95005 wrote:
Yes, I like this recommendation a lot. The only change I would make is to get one of each core set rather than two of the original.

I'd second this. A year or so ago, having two of the original was a decent idea because the standard TIE Fighter was the preferred option for running swarms of TIE fighters (its more fragile but cheaper than the TIE/fo) but now most people use a mix of both with pilots from all the various TIE fighter and /fo expansions. Plus the damage deck in The Force Awakens is generally better (it changes a couple of critical hits that could be devastating and very frustrating) and Poe Dameron is a beast of an X-Wing pilot. One of the big joys of X-Wing is trying out different squads and you get a lot more variety from one of each core set than with two of the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weatherwax2099 wrote:
ed95005 wrote:

I'd second this. A year or so ago, having two of the original was a decent idea because the standard TIE Fighter was the preferred option for running swarms of TIE fighters (its more fragile but cheaper than the TIE/fo) but now most people use a mix of both with pilots from all the various TIE fighter and /fo expansions. Plus the damage deck in The Force Awakens is generally better (it changes a couple of critical hits that could be devastating and very frustrating) and Poe Dameron is a beast of an X-Wing pilot. One of the big joys of X-Wing is trying out different squads and you get a lot more variety from one of each core set than with two of the same.

Based on his description I may have to respectfully disagree. Adding in First Order and Resistance Pilots heavily break the theme. More variety isn't necessarily better in this case.

The natural power creep of the game only guarantees that you have no reason to use Luke (Poe is better in every way and flies a better ship) and he steals poor Luke's droid. I don't think casual players care what is in the damage deck.

Your FO TIE fighters are better as well outshining Mithel and Backstabber, as well as Darth. If the long term intention is to play competitively, then I heartily agree with your assessment and he should buy one of each core.

If he's looking for fun thematic play, I'd stick exclusively to the originals. Just my two bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.