9 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some Rules Questions from Last Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Pham
Canada
flag msg tools
1. Are all Towns, Cities, & Strongholds considered Settlements? A couple cards mention recruiting in any free settlement and I was just wondering what exactly constitutes a Settlement.

2. On the combat card Sudden Strike, do you get a leadership re-roll? (Play if a FP Leader or a Companion is in the battle. Before the combat roll, roll an additional attack using a number of dice equal to your leadership (up to a maximum of 5) and apply the result immediately.)

We played it with no re-roll, assuming that this isn't proper combat.

3. This one was a bit more complicated. The fellowship's last known position was in Noman-lands. They were at 1 on the fellowship progress track, and moving this turn would put them to 2. The hunt is successful, and it pulls a tile revealing them. I, as the FP player, revealed them in Morannon, drawing an extra hunt tile because the fellowship was revealed moving into a shadow stronghold. The extra hunt tile is a 3-damage one, and I use Pippin's guide ability to separate him from the fellowship.

I said that he would begin his movement from Noman-lands.

SP said that he would begin his movement from Morannon.

Who's got this right?

Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, those are all the settlements. Basically, anything printed on a region excepting the two fortifications.

2. You still get the leader re-roll (during the regular combat round--not an additional leader reroll for the card.)

3. I'm not quite sure on this one. I think it would be from Noman Lands, but I'll defer to more authoritative replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no leadership reroll for combat card based rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
There is no leadership reroll for combat card based rolls.

I interpreted the OP as wondering that since the card allowed rolls for leadership prior to combat, that this might count as the leader reroll for the regular combat round, and hence my answer. Now, I see the other interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tan
Malaysia
Cheras
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) That's right. Anything with the diamond shaped symbol is a settlement.

2) No leadership reroll for extra combat from Combat cards.

3) You actually take corruption before moving your fellowship. So the point of separation is from the last known Fellowship location. At separation, you apply the Fellowship progress + Pippin's Level .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The different type of settlements are Towns, Cities and Strongholds.

2. Additional attacks granted by combat cards never have a leadership re-roll.

3. You can use the Hobbit's guide ability on the original hunt tile (unless it's a zero+reveal). He would then start his movement from Noman-lands with the Fellowship track on 2.
You completely finish handling the tile, including moving the Fellowship and resetting the Fellowship marker, before you draw the tile for the Stronghold.
The Fellowship is now in Morannon and if you use the Hobbit's ability on the 2nd tile, he will start his movement from there with the Fellowship track on 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pham
Canada
flag msg tools
Correct, the first tile was a 0 reveal. So the second tile is drawn in Morannon, and Pippin moves from there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
newratcity wrote:
Correct, the first tile was a 0 reveal. So the second tile is drawn in Morannon, and Pippin moves from there?

Yes.
You process each tile completely before drawing the next one.
The 1st will cause the Fellowship to be revealed in Morannnon and the Fellowship marker to be reset to 0. When Pippin separates, he'll be in Morannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pham
Canada
flag msg tools
Gotcha. That makes sense, Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.