Subject: Going insane in a solo/2 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I never played the first edition of this game but after watching a few gameplay videos of the second it seems the mechanics for going insane are kind of weird in a solo/2 player game.

For instance, one of the 1+ player insanity effects was that you lose the game if the objective is complete but there are still clue tokens on the board (iirc).

If I'm playing solo this seems to just add a second condition to winning the game, going insane seems to lose its thematic-ness in a one player game since there is no hidden information.

Similarly, in a two player game going insane seems to turn the game from completely co-op to almost adversarial since one player is now in serious jeopardy of "losing" the game.

How do those of you who have played this find the insanity mechanic in a solo/2 player game? Does it seem more suited to/"fun" with 3+ players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I agree with your observations.

My group is two people (sometimes playing multiple investigators each). We just ignore the Insanity conditions. We take the card, glance at the back to see if there is any specific instruction we have to immediately carry out, and then flip it down and proceed to ignore it. If the game tells me that technically one or the other of us didn't win then okay, whatever. For us, we're playing with the intent of completing the investigation and we're not going to change focus for some random card draw that doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the game. We're not into that.

At the two-player level I don't think there's any cards that demand you do something, just cards that change your individual winning condition. We both get more satisfaction from playing to complete the investigation than playing to compete whatever arbitrary task is presented on an Insanity condition card so that's what we do. To Hell with whether the card tells us we technically won or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
As you've pointed out the Insanity cards are tailored specifically for the number of players, and the ones that are specific to solo play don't feature any effects that are designed to make the game more about treachery and not knowing what the Insane person is up to, but are much more likely to be things that just make the game a bit harder for you as a solo player (such as to get rid of all the clue tokens on the map before ending the game) which it should be if one of your investigators had gone insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FellintoOblivion wrote:

Similarly, in a two player game going insane seems to turn the game from completely co-op to almost adversarial since one player is now in serious jeopardy of "losing" the game.

How do those of you who have played this find the insanity mechanic in a solo/2 player game? Does it seem more suited to/"fun" with 3+ players?

It seems to me that the insanity mechanic is more slated for fuller groups (hence there are some Insanity cards that are only for 3+ players). Usually the ones that involve complete betrayal or alternate win conditions that would be hard for one player to prevent are saved for the 3+ player games. But overall, as a solo player, if you get two win conditions (needing to remove all Search tokens from the board), you'll at least have two investigators in on the other win condition and be able to help out with it.

But I've played most of my games with 4-5 players, and the Insanity mechanic is my favorite part of the game. We've had so many games where 1-2 people go Insane and it adds an entire extra layer to the game, since you need to still keep your friends alive (even when Insane, if one investigator is eliminated, everyone loses), without really trusting their motives. It's a game mechanic that has added the most stories to our play sessions and keeps us talking about the game long after we put it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ignore them in my solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:
FellintoOblivion wrote:

It seems to me that the insanity mechanic is more slated for fuller groups (hence there are some Insanity cards that are only for 3+ players). Usually the ones that involve complete betrayal or alternate win conditions that would be hard for one player to prevent are saved for the 3+ player games. But overall, as a solo player, if you get two win conditions (needing to remove all Search tokens from the board), you'll at least have two investigators in on the other win condition and be able to help out with it.

But I've played most of my games with 4-5 players, and the Insanity mechanic is my favorite part of the game. We've had so many games where 1-2 people go Insane and it adds an entire extra layer to the game, since you need to still keep your friends alive (even when Insane, if one investigator is eliminated, everyone loses), without really trusting their motives. It's a game mechanic that has added the most stories to our play sessions and keeps us talking about the game long after we put it away.

I've played twice now, most recently with my two oldest children. We had a BLAST! One of my kids went insane and it was hilariously tense. Really great mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a fan of the insanity mechanic. I realize its purpose, but it changes the game far too drastically. In my last solo game, I pretty much ignored it. With 2 investigators they make it unwinnable at times for any one character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.