Subject: The Problem With Older Brothers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the youngest of four, and I have an older brother. I grew up being compared to him constantly, which was hard, because we are quite different, though we share the same last name. Life got better when I began to be appreciated for who I was, and not just the younger sibling.

Same thing for all you Mage Knight enthusiasts. To be honest while trying to remain respectful, I'm tired of your comparisons of Star Trek Frontiers with its vaunted older brother. It's now reached the heights of absurdity.

On the one hand, I read cynical criticisms of STF that "it's just a reskin of Mage Knight...an exact copy...a ploy to make money off of the same system...etc. ad nauseum.

Then, often in the same note, I read criticisms that Star Trek Frontiers has committed the ultimate blasphemy by VARYING off of its older brother's system. Every difference between Mage Knight and Star Trek is scrutinized and trashed.

So Star Trek is damned for being the same, and double-damned for being different.

"Yes!" you are preparing to type. "It's the same, which we despise. And where it's different, it's worse!"

Okay fine. I have a suggestion: play Mage Knight. If you want to play Mage Knight in space, then don your Star Fleet uniform and your set of Vulcan ears...and play Mage Knight.

Instead of typing these tired redundancies, putting every similarity and difference under the microscope (and condemning both), why not take the radical step of just enjoying Star Trek Frontiers as its own game? Or, if you don't enjoy it on its own terms, then don't play it. But please stop trying to force a false issue--that the community is somehow not allowed to consider Star Trek Frontiers without first comparing it to Mage Knight! Let it be what it is--a GREAT game that we Trekkers enjoy.

I'm one of the (I suspect) silent majority that enjoy both games immensely. I own and will keep both. I look forward to the expansions that I hope WizKids will produce for Star Trek.

There is nothing wrong with Star Trek Frontiers capitalizing on a great mechanic first expressed in Mage Knight. There is nothing wrong with varying that mechanic. If it's too easy for you, then follow the rules and make it harder by manipulating the various options. And be patient for the game's development in expansions, just as happened with the older brother that you so adore.

The reason I am fed up with all the obsessive Mage Knight-based criticism is that I don't want the naysayers to discourage new players from this great game, and I don't want the game's reputation to be trashed, which is the one way we might accidentally torpedo any chance at future expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, Frontiers has an 8.2 rating, MK an 8.1. Yes, the 8.2 will drop as the number of ratings increases, but it's hardly treated as if it were Mage Knight: The Catapult.

I guess I'm just not seeing all this damning you're seeing. And more, I appreciate the direct comparisons to MK, as I (and many others) know that game well, and it helps me understand this one better. To me, it would be weird to pretend MK doesn't exist when discussing this (very obvious) redevelopment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moore
United Kingdom
Buckland Monachorum
Devon
flag msg tools
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said Robert!

This is especially poignant for me as my brilliant older brother brought me Star Trek Frontiers for my birthday in August!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
My main reservation is that the main mode we play Mage Knight in is the coop Volkare's returns from the expansion, which frontiers doesn't have.

So it's not really some personal quality, the older brother is simply old enough to not be carded so he can buy us booze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
My main reservation is that the main mode we play Mage Knight in is the coop Volkare's returns from the expansion, which frontiers doesn't have.

How dare you damn, despise, and declare Frontiers worse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:

So it's not really some personal quality, the older brother is simply old enough to not be carded so he can buy us booze.

You could create your own variant of the Volkare scenario using a Borg Cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Same thing for all you Mage Knight enthusiasts. To be honest while trying to remain respectful, I'm tired of your comparisons of Star Trek Frontiers with its vaunted older brother. It's now reached the heights of absurdity.

It's a game, an inanimate object. We shouldn't have to worry about hurting its feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.