Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

I'm building a FAQ and Errata for Grimslingers.

In this thread, please post things you found confusing in the rulebook, any part of the game you felt was imbalanced, and any errors you may have noticed.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks! I found it confusing that you really do need two deactivated piles (not 1 as implied) to make sure you are only re-activating those from the current previous turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it confusing that you yawned so much during your tutorial videos... ;)

We started a campaign the other night and there were lots of questions. Ill compile some when I get a chance and repost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamdryn wrote:
I found it confusing that you yawned so much during your tutorial videos...

We started a campaign the other night and there were lots of questions. Ill compile some when I get a chance and repost.

Lol! Sorry, I only sleep like 5 to 6 hours a night

Yes, please send a list along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle F
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I am confused about when to roll dice and when to have a face-off, in order to determine who will resolve first when the played cards have the same resolution number(Page 8, #3). I assume that if multiple players have played a card against the same target, then a dice is rolled to determine which player attacks first. If two players have played a card against each other and the the resolution numbers are the same, then a face off will occur. Is this correct? The way it is presented in the text is a bit confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sdcfan87 wrote:
I am confused about when to roll dice and when to have a face-off, in order to determine who will resolve first when the played cards have the same resolution number(Page 8, #3). I assume that if multiple players have played a card against the same target, then a dice is rolled to determine which player attacks first. If two players have played a card against each other and the the resolution numbers are the same, then a face off will occur. Is this correct? The way it is presented in the text is a bit confusing.

You're mostly right.

Face-offs only occur when two people have targeted each other with element spells (and the RN hasn't been changed by an item or the witchborn's ability).

If several people have played cards with the same RN, you roll to see who goes first, regardless of who they are targeting. Say 3 people played element spells, 2 of those people are contested. The contested players only roll once for the both of them and then the third player also rolls.

If you have any suggestions on how that could be clearer, please let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle F
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Maybe include a gameplay example as follows:

Player A and Player B both target Player C with spells that have the same RN. Player A and Player B roll dice to determine who encounters Player C first. Player A rolls higher and encounters Player C first. Player C also played a spell with the same RN as Player A, so a face-off occurs. After the face-off is completed and the spells have been discarded, Player B encounters Player C. Player C no longer has a spell to contest Player B due to the first encounter, so the spell goes uncontested and Player C receives all damage and FX of Player B's spell.

I hope that is actually how the game is played. It is how I interpreted the rules upon reading them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, assuming C also targeted A, and all the spells were elemental spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sdcfan87 wrote:
Maybe include a gameplay example as follows:

Player A and Player B both target Player C with spells that have the same RN. Player A and Player B roll dice to determine who encounters Player C first. Player A rolls higher and encounters Player C first. Player C also played a spell with the same RN as Player A, so a face-off occurs. After the face-off is completed and the spells have been discarded, Player B encounters Player C. Player C no longer has a spell to contest Player B due to the first encounter, so the spell goes uncontested and Player C receives all damage and FX of Player B's spell.

I hope that is actually how the game is played. It is how I interpreted the rules upon reading them.

First, thanks for the suggestions! I will do my best to include an exmaple and a graphic.

And you're almost right. If A and C targeted each other with element spells, they would roll as one.

Example: Player A and player B both target player C, and player C targets player A. All played element spells with an RN of 9.

Because player A and C are targeting each other, their cards are "contested" and one of them rolls the dice. Player B also rolls the dice. If player B rolls higher, he would resolve his spell first, and then players A and C would have a face-off.

If player A or C had rolled higher than player B, they would have had a face-off first, and then Player B would resolve their spell.

Example 2: If player A targets player B, and player B targets player C, and player C targets player A (therefore, no two are targeting each other), all with elements spells with an RN of 9, each would roll. Whoever rolls the highest gets to resolve their spell first, and then players take turns in a clockwise fashion to resolve their spells.

Does that all make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle F
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
That makes more sense now. The example helps to clear it up. The first time I read through, it seemed like you roll a dice to determine which spell went first (instead of having a face-off). Thanks for being quick to reply and clear up the confusion. I am enjoying the game so far. Thanks Stephen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sdcfan87 wrote:
That makes more sense now. The example helps to clear it up. The first time I read through, it seemed like you roll a dice to determine which spell went first (instead of having a face-off). Thanks for being quick to reply and clear up the confusion. I am enjoying the game so far. Thanks Stephen!

No problem! Please let me know any other points of confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be helpful if you expanded a bit on what happens after you win a duel in Tall Tales mode. I expected to be able to pick up my discards and perhaps heal, but now see that is not the case. Stating this up-front will help to dispel others with similar expectations gained from other games.

Also, can you stay on a Node for several turns, or are you forced to move? Related to this is my question as to whether you can "camp" on a Rest Node until you are fully healed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
I think it would be helpful if you expanded a bit on what happens after you win a duel in Tall Tales mode. I expected to be able to pick up my discards and perhaps heal, but now see that is not the case. Stating this up-front will help to dispel others with similar expectations gained from other games.

Also, can you stay on a Node for several turns, or are you forced to move? Related to this is my question as to whether you can "camp" on a Rest Node until you are fully healed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

You do have to move after a node is resolved, so you can't ever resolve a specific node twice in a row.

I did add more clarification to what you do when a duel is over in the Tall Tale. I posted the 2nd edition rulebook here on BGG if you wanna give it a gander!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
There looks to be an error in the Rule Book (both 1st and 2nd edition) re; Passing.

In the "regular draw" rules, it notes if you pass you take the cards you played back into your hand.

In the "quick draw" rules, page 11, it gives an example of "Billy" stating he is going to pass and then discarding those cards.

In the video example of how to play with "Quick Draw" rules it shows when you pass the cards go back into your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
There looks to be an error in the Rule Book (both 1st and 2nd edition) re; Passing.

In the "regular draw" rules, it notes if you pass you take the cards you played back into your hand.

In the "quick draw" rules, page 11, it gives an example of "Billy" stating he is going to pass and then discarding those cards.

In the video example of how to play with "Quick Draw" rules it shows when you pass the cards go back into your hand.

Yep, you're right, mistake caught. You don't discard cards when passing.

Thanks for the find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birdie
msg tools
When you deactivate cards, are the face-up so that opponents can see and deduct what is in your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Birdiebone wrote:
When you deactivate cards, are the face-up so that opponents can see and deduct what is in your hand?

Deactivated cards go face down. Honestly though, if you prefer a heavier deduction game (possibly more paralysis analysis), put them face-up, or better yet, show everyone the ones that were deactivated .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Welch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like clarification on what happens inbetween chapters. I saw you answered a question about putting discarded elements back in your hand. What about discarded items? Do discarded items get shuffled back into the item deck? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Benncory wrote:
I would like clarification on what happens inbetween chapters. I saw you answered a question about putting discarded elements back in your hand. What about discarded items? Do discarded items get shuffled back into the item deck? Thanks

Discarded items only get shuffled back in if the deck gets depleted, it doesn't need to be reset between chapters. But clarification on this wouldn't be bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.