The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Golden God
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

If a certain phase is activated but you can't use the appropriate die/dice related to said phase, what do I do with the die or dice in the column?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It goes back in your cup.

More specifically:
You always have to use dice allocated to explore.

Dice on dev or settle only go to your cup if you have no tiles there. You have to put it on a tile if you have one, even if you don't want to build it, but at the end of the round, you can put back in your cup any or all dice still sitting on partly-paid dev/planets.

Dice on produce go back in your cup if you have no more empty non-grey planets.

Dice on ship go back in your cup if you have no more goods left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden God
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you so much. My friends said I was playing incorrectly!

You da real mvp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
It goes back in your cup.

More specifically:
You always have to use dice allocated to explore.

Dice on dev or settle only go to your cup if you have no tiles there. You have to put it on a tile if you have one, even if you don't want to build it, but at the end of the round, you can put back in your cup any or all dice still sitting on partly-paid dev/planets.

Dice on produce go back in your cup if you have no more empty non-grey planets.

Dice on ship go back in your cup if you have no more goods left.

I thought the settle and dev. dice will stay on the board even when there are 0 tiles on the spot?

Or can this only happens when I explore and decide to put all tiles from the dev. and also choose only planets. So there dice remain on the "dev. spot"?

BR Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you explore away all your dev tiles, then the dice stay their but only until the next time a dev phase happens an them they go back to your cup (unless you explore more tiles there first or you put them back in the cup during maintenance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note with Explore, even if you'd like to pull them back, you can always just get $2 back apiece, which would typically be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Note with Explore, even if you'd like to pull them back, you can always just get $2 back apiece, which would typically be better.

? Can you tell me more about this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vex85 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

? Can you tell me more about this

It costs $1 to buy a worker back to your cup. With $2 you can buy back that explorer and one other worker at the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But should I buy those back if they will get autom. in the cup`? Or do you mean when they are still tiles in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vex85 wrote:
But should I buy those back if they will get autom. in the cup`? Or do you mean when they are still tiles in play?

You have an explorer. You use him to earn $2. At the end of the turn you can use that $2 to buy any two workers back from the citizenry including the worker you used to earn the $2. That's two workers returned to your cup instead of just one.

If the rules allowed you to just return an "unused" explorer to your cup you wouldn't get $2 and then wouldn't have the extra $1 to buy back some other worker used on some other phase.

Get it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Vex85 wrote:

You have an explorer. You use him to earn $2. At the end of the turn you can use that $2 to buy any two workers back from the citizenry including the worker you used to earn the $2. That's two workers returned to your cup instead of just one.

If the rules allowed you to just return an "unused" explorer to your cup you wouldn't get $2 and then wouldn't have the extra $1 to buy back some other worker used on some other phase.

Get it?
Also, this gives you flexibility to get other dice back in the cup instead.

For example, instead of "not using" the white/Home die on I, you would follow the rules and get $2. Then use those $2 to put 2 better dice in the cup... say, a green/genes and a red/military.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
ackmondual wrote:

You can't "always" get 2 credits for stocking. You are limited to 10 credits. This can make having to use explorers bad if you have too many of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brunowolff wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

You can't "always" get 2 credits for stocking. You are limited to 10 credits. This can make having to use explorers bad if you have too many of them.

Correct. I added the "typically" to allude to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cuesta
Ecuador
Guayaquil
Select One...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
Yes, if you explore away all your dev tiles, then the dice stay their but only until the next time a dev phase happens an them they go back to your cup (unless you explore more tiles there first or you put them back in the cup during maintenance).

You can also get those dice back in the cup at the end of your turn during the manage empire phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.