$20.00
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook doesn't really explain what happens if you try to steal something from another player that doesn't have enough of what you're stealing but does have *some* of what you're attempting to steal. For example

- Player A exploits a location that allows him to steal 2 contraband from another player. He nominates that he's going to steal from Player B.
- Player B declares that he only has 1 contraband.

The text in the rulebook says

If the Gang you’re trying to Steal from doesn’t have enough of the items you’re Stealing, you (and only you!) may look behind their Blind at their hidden assets, assessing their strengths.

So in the example listed above would Player A get to steal the 1 contraband from Player B before looking behind his blind or not?

My take on this was that the rules as written would suggest that Player A gets nothing, but another player argued that this doesn't make much sense thematically because if you're stealing contraband off somebody then just because they didn't have as much as you were looking for that wouldn't mean that you'd leave them with whatever they did have.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you'd steal as much as possible and verify that by looking at the hidden assets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I suppose it doesn't actually say "take as much as possible" but the phrasing... "doesn't have enough of the items you're stealing" indicates strongly that you do.

If you actually aren't supposed to take anything in this case, then that should be the exception that is noted as it is very counter-intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's all good and makes perfect sense. Thank you for your input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CalicoDave wrote:
I'd say you'd steal as much as possible and verify that by looking at the hidden assets.

This is how we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.