Subject: Tip: Due Diligence; Order Count Sync rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great game. Played 4 Games last night and have a tip for engineer/1stMate/captain:

Captain/1stMate/Engineer should tally the Order_Count somewhere on their playmats. Then, at a glance, a team will know if Order Count is in sync across the team. Hidden upside: metric for tracking efficiency; how many Orders did we perform per game? How many did our opponent (assuming they take this tip to heart) perform?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interesting idea. What if it isn't in sych?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Well, using the honor system, if a Team goes out of sync, I would alert the other team and request a restart. If it's caught in time, we can always back up the "free" System Charges. Maybe it's irreparable and restart is the only solution.

That really is the caveat in Hidden Movement && Blind Systems (can't tell if other team is cheating/mistaken): Mistakes happen.

I can't tell you how many times we've reset "Resistance (hidden teams)" due to botched team/role assignment (Close your eyes, Open your Eyes). For example, when scanning for your teammate in a (hidden teams) game during the Close/Open eyes, many make the mistake of closing their eyes as soon as they detect another teammate when in fact they should be scanning all eyes to make sure only (2) sets are open and calling RESET if botched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rainofwalrus wrote:

Hidden Movement && Blind Systems (can't tell if other team is cheating/mistaken)

Yeah, same concern about this game, actually it's the only concern....
You cannot tell if the other team cheating when they are moving the ship or charging systems or breakdown symbols...

Maybe make a not will be great, or, if possible, get a 9th person to be the god..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The less players the more likely it is to miss a mistake. The nice thing about 8 players is added eyes. Some people think the Engineer/1stMate are redundant, but I'd argue that the more eyes on task--the less mistakes missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonus interesting questions: is it better to have a higher order count. I think sometimes it might be the best to stay still or move slowly. Why is everyone rushing? You give out so much information

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think must have misunderstood your original post.

So are you suggesting we also track how many marks we erase? Or do you have to check the synch before each erase action? Otherwise I'm not sure what you are checking.

I think I would much rather have the opposing Captain making sure he called his movement in the direction he/she marked and not be distracted with making an additional mark that might charge a torpedo a movement earlier.

But I still like the ability to compare the numbers of actions between teams!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HealthyGamingNetwork wrote:
I think must have misunderstood your original post.

So are you suggesting we also track how many marks we erase? Or do you have to check the synch before each erase action? Otherwise I'm not sure what you are checking.

I think I would much rather have the opposing Captain making sure he called his movement in the direction he/she marked and not be distracted with making an additional mark that might charge a torpedo a movement earlier.

But I still like the ability to compare the numbers of actions between teams!

Well, we do start a new Block/Division for Surfacing so we can track how many Surfaces, etc. But we don't track Erases.

This takes no time at all. Just hash-marks. I have a splendid Radio Op that tracks both ships on his overlay to have an idea of where the enemy "thinks" we are. That takes time. ;-)

And yes, "early Systems charging" is why we're keeping tabs. I'd rather reset the entire match than win off mismanagement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Bonus interesting questions: is it better to have a higher order count. I think sometimes it might be the best to stay still or move slowly. Why is everyone rushing? You give out so much information

It's all relative to the final outcome, no? If we rushed and won, why did we? If we crawled and lost, why?

Science requires data, tactical warfare doubly so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Snyder
United States
Zanesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rainofwalrus wrote:

Well, using the honor system, if a Team goes out of sync, I would alert the other team and request a restart. If it's caught in time, we can always back up the "free" System Charges. Maybe it's irreparable and restart is the only solution.

That really is the caveat in Hidden Movement && Blind Systems (can't tell if other team is cheating/mistaken): Mistakes happen.

I can't tell you how many times we've reset "Resistance (hidden teams)" due to botched team/role assignment (Close your eyes, Open your Eyes). For example, when scanning for your teammate in a (hidden teams) game during the Close/Open eyes, many make the mistake of closing their eyes as soon as they detect another teammate when in fact they should be scanning all eyes to make sure only (2) sets are open and calling RESET if botched.

I think the game plays much better if you follow the rule that the captain must wait for the first mate and engineer to say "ok". If you are doing this:

Head North
Head North
Head East

Without waiting - that's the only reason you get out of sync. As captain, if you don't hear the others say "ok" then I personally ask for confirmation before going on. Not only should they say ok, but if a system is ready for use they should announce it out loud as well. Something I think is vital for the other team to know.

The game is good, but it breaks down if a captain is shouting orders and not actually waiting and monitoring his own team. Perhaps in that case the first officer should slow the captain down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LarDukeSnyder wrote:
rainofwalrus wrote:

I think the game plays much better if you follow the rule that the captain must wait for the first mate and engineer to say "ok". If you are doing this:

Head North
Head North
Head East

Without waiting - that's the only reason you get out of sync. As captain, if you don't hear the others say "ok" then I personally ask for confirmation before going on. Not only should they say ok, but if a system is ready for use they should announce it out loud as well. Something I think is vital for the other team to know.

The game is good, but it breaks down if a captain is shouting orders and not actually waiting and monitoring his own team. Perhaps in that case the first officer should slow the captain down.

I think so too. That's why I mean't Order Count on top of the normal procedure. And yes, our ship has gone out of sync even with "ok... ok."

Murphy's Law rules the high seas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.