Subject: Civil War Solitaire Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My gaming is primarily solitaire and I have a strong interest in the U.S. Civil War.

I've been trying to decide between For the People or The U.S. Civil War, both offered by GMT. Neither offer a true solitaire rule set, so my question is, which do you feel works better solo using the two player rules?

Or is there another game on the subject matter you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lost Cause is a states of siege game by Victory Point Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Weber
United States
Mayfield Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Giants: Civil War has strong solitaire suitability, and is currently on the P500 from GMT (if you pre-order you will get a lower than retail price) The game only features two battles from the Civil War, but Gettysburg is one of them and THAT should be more than worth the price of admission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Lost Cause.
I would also advise joining the one player guild, perfect place to visit given your solo gaming preference.
The info and wisdom contained in there is superb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Otis38 wrote:
My gaming is primarily solitaire and I have a strong interest in the U.S. Civil War.

I've been trying to decide between For the People or The U.S. Civil War, both offered by GMT. Neither offer a true solitaire rule set, so my question is, which do you feel works better solo using the two player rules?

I had exactly the same question and--based only on careful reading of the rules of each--ended up getting FTP. Now, I haven't played it yet so I can't report more than that but if these are the two games you are considering you can get both rules online and that may help you decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Otis38 wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone.
If you end up getting FTP and playing it solo, come back to this thread and let us know how it turned out (or PM me and let me know). It will be a while before I get to this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Otis38 wrote:

Of the two, The US Civil War is probably better suited for solitaire play. For the People CAN be solitaired (I've done it), but it's a card-driven wargame, and some people (erroneously IMHO) believe they are not suited to solo play.

Another option would be the old Victory Games The Civil War, a fine game if you can find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for ACW operational (you didn't specify grand strategic), the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series from MMP might work.

No hidden info and it's a die roll for initiative system so you make your move but don't know which side will have the next move.

Two games are currently available from MMP. I'm not sure about other sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not so dumb I got a thumb But on the phone Apposable But in re-dealing on the daily road Superiority is nothing but A friendly man with monkey hands A friendly mom with monkey pawns
mbmbmbmbmb
Yetisburg is a hilarious spoof on the Civil War.
It's two-player, but plays fine as a solitaire controlling both the blue and the gray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.