Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a recent Kickstarter that tackled this genre of video games but I was wondering if there were any other board games in the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rougelike games?
It's not got much else in common, but The Awful Green Things From Outer Space has randomised weapon effects - e.g. you don't know whether, in the current game, a fire extinguisher will kill the Green Things, shrink them, or cause them to split into 1d6 more, until you test it out - which is basically a classic roguelike mechanic implemented in tabletop.

There are also randomised dungeon-crawlers like the D&D Adventure System games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best roguelike boardgame session I have played was as the mageknight in Warhammer Quest , he soloed through some dungeons by doing a percentage of the monsters. He eventually got slammed by a bad monster roll in a big room versus minotaurs and shooty guys.

You could look at the more up to date dungeon crawlers but they do not feel to same with one hero ,although Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game with one hero and NO events triggered by the arrows was good fun.

Since Ariston the mageknight the only games that gave a rewarding roguelike experience have been Runebound (Second Edition) and Mage Knight Board Game.

If you are after red games please ignore this nostalgic waffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
There is only one true one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Game I demoed at Gen Con this year - One Deck Dungeon.

They tried to copy the general dungeon crawl Roguelike feel. "explore" the level, kill what you can, leave what you can't. A timer mechanic forces you to go to the next level even if you're unprepared. Healing items are rare.

Find upgrades as you go to make your characters able to tackle more challenges. Get to the final floor and face a boss.

I felt it captured the flavor of Roguelikes pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it specifically includes the use of cosmetics, but you could look into Fashion Rules or Fashion Show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:
I don't know if it specifically includes the use of cosmetics, but you could look into Fashion Rules or Fashion Show.

ninja Damn, beat me to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:

I don't get it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
Phantom Load wrote:

I don't get it...

Because Rouge is french word for Red, and usually denotes a face makeup...roguelike is probably what you meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
nathairday wrote:
Phantom Load wrote:

I don't get it...

Because Rouge is french word for Red, and usually denotes a face makeup...roguelike is probably what you meant.

ah haha got it! Edited the title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Popsicle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Here's a nanogame that's print and play and contains only nine cards.

[WIP] Mini Rogue - 2016 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:

Oh, that makes more sense.

Opinions vary, but I like DungeonQuest (third edition). That's a link to the copy I own (3rd edition), not the most current (revised) edition from 2014. I honestly don't know the difference. I play the game with the dice combat variant as I think that's how it should be played. Drawing the combat out into a card-driven fight (IMHO) takes away from the experience and slows the game down significantly.

Regardless, while teaching the game to someone else, my character died two tiles into the dungeon. I don't think you can get more rogue-like than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:

Regardless, while teaching the game to someone else, my character died two tiles into the dungeon. I don't think you can get more rogue-like than that.

YES! That's what I want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded for DungeonQuest. Not s straight translation, but it's got the right vibe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
nathairday wrote:
Phantom Load wrote:

I don't get it...

Damn! I was going to suggest this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Free PnP: The Dungeon of D

Mostly I play videogames for my roguelike fix; board games haven't fully gotten there yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
nathairday wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
nathairday wrote:
Phantom Load wrote:

I don't get it...

Damn! I was going to suggest this:

I'm old

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dandin wrote:
Game I demoed at Gen Con this year - One Deck Dungeon.

They tried to copy the general dungeon crawl Roguelike feel. "explore" the level, kill what you can, leave what you can't. A timer mechanic forces you to go to the next level even if you're unprepared. Healing items are rare.

Find upgrades as you go to make your characters able to tackle more challenges. Get to the final floor and face a boss.

I felt it captured the flavor of Roguelikes pretty well.

Yeah I backed this game because of that feel but I love the explore part of Roguelike games. While I like a lot tile games a lot of the time you know what's going to happen in five turns instead of just having it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
There's one on Kickstarter at the moment called "Card Rogue: A Tabletop Roguelike". I'm backing it, maybe it will fit your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loopstah wrote:
There's one on Kickstarter at the moment called "Card Rogue: A Tabletop Roguelike". I'm backing it, maybe it will fit your criteria.

Actually that is the game that made me think more about the genre. I backed the game, I don't think that it will be the game that I want but I think it is a step towards that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's the dungeon-crawl feel you're going for, I'll expand on my recommendation for the D&D Adventure System games. There's a randomly generated dungeon with wandering monsters carrying random scrolls, potions and wands. I mix Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon and Legend of Drizzt together, which gives it that "mixed bag" feeling when you bump into Drow under Castle Ravenloft for no particular reason (yes, I'm a Nethack fan...)

Drizzt is probably the best of those three to start with (I haven't tried Temple of Elemental Evil yet.)

The first time I played it with one friend, he said "Ah, I get it - it's like Angband."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play Dark World, DungeonQuest Revised Edition, Dwarven Dig! and Space Crusade.

But the only review worth watching is that "why HQ is so great" that Mr. Chapel posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may just may make my own...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind old school looking print and play - with paper and pencil - try Four Against Darkness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:
If you don't mind old school looking print and play - with paper and pencil - try Four Against Darkness

This is such a fun game and I am glad to see others talking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.