Subject: Board Setups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Berges
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hello
I have a question for Blackwater Gulch players. Do most players create a board that usually stays the same in regards to buildings. Or do you just randomly place buildings each time you play just to make games fun and interesting? I mainly ask because I'm not sure how I want to build my board just yet. I was thinking of just going the route of placing terrain on the board and just playing, rather then make a static town.... Any thoughts? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mbmbmb
Just speaking for myself:

The rules say 3ft by 3ft is the "average" table size, and that's about right for me. I do 4ft by 4ft and simply leave the edges mostly empty, although you could go the other way and do a small 2ft by 2ft and pack all the action in tight. I find BWG (and Dead Man's Hand, for that matter) works well with some sort of Main Street setup, where there's either one street striped down the center of the playing area, or a Town Square where the buildings all face a centralized area (almost like a capture-the-flag arena.) Keep in mind that the rulebook doesn't provide proper scenarios (as opposed to Dead Man's Hand, which does) so you're getting maybe four generic board setups and it's up to you (and your gaming gang) to kind of agree on whatever town/terrain/setup that you want to use.

One thing that does matter in BWG (moreso than Dead Man's Hand) is you will want a fair amount of "area terrain." Meaning cactus stands, broken rocky terrain, scrub-brush, or even a minor stream. Why? Because there are gangs & abilities that have strengths involving this sort of "area terrain" and without that those gangs become significantly weaker choices. For contrast, DMH has less terrain advantages, so buildings are usually enough flavor to get by with.

I don't have any hard-and-fast rules for how my towns look, but I tend to gravitate towards a certain setup:

* main-street, or town-square setup
* two to three building on either side of the Main Street (alternating in size)
* a larger building at each end of the street, almost as a home-base for gangs
* sometimes a clock-tower in the town square, or just "area terrain"
* plenty of "area terrain" around the edges and in between a few buildings alleyways

The board setup is really whatever you feel comfortable with & what you like best. I don't think there is one "best" way. If you don't have a lot of buildings, just pick up some 99-cent pieces of felt to fill in the gaps with cheap "area terrain." Maybe if you only have one "centerpiece" type large building, plop it down in the middle and have the action rage all around it. Chances are after you play a game or two you will start to gravitate towards a certain setup that makes you happy.

And above all: Have fun!

And just as an example, here is my "town square" setup (using strictly my Angry Mojo MDF buildings & terrain.) It is 4'x4' total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The layout changes every time, but the buildings stay the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berges
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Great Thanks for your feedback. I just finished making a standard 3 by 3 board for the use of Blackwater Gulch. I also have 4ground buildings on the way. I found Blackwater Gulch very interesting with its fantasy like elements but not overboard like Wild West Exodus. I almost played WWX but decided against it. I'm definitely going to be playing BWG but I was also interested in Dead Man's Hand.

I'm not to concerned about a limited amount of scenarios since (to me anyway) it seems very easy to make your own scenarios. I was however intrigued by Dead Man's Hand as well. I was thinking of getting a copy of the rulebook and giving it a go as well. Would you say one is a little better then the other? Does one have a little better game flow verses the other?

Thanks again for your feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mbmbmb
DocMeru wrote:
I'm not to concerned about a limited amount of scenarios since (to me anyway) it seems very easy to make your own scenarios. I was however intrigued by Dead Man's Hand as well. I was thinking of getting a copy of the rulebook and giving it a go as well. Would you say one is a little better then the other? Does one have a little better game flow verses the other?
Both BWG and Dead Man's Hand are worth playing, easy to learn, and are actually not super far apart in terms of game design. If you enjoy individual personalities shining through, then BWG and its role-playing-game roots might be better. If you would rather play through pre-set scenarios where the surprises of the cardplay tell the story, then I would certainly spend the $25-$30 and pick up the DMH rulebook, which comes with the basic deck of mini-cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.