Subject: Pre-order vs kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M L
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, first post here, been lurking a long time
I missed the Evolution: Climate kickstarter and preordered it in early august. At the time I swear I saw a blurb either on KS or NSG's website that said that preorders would receive everything at the 55$ pledge level, so kickstarter exclusives too (this is exactly why I preordered). Now I look at both websites and cannot find any statement of the sort, even on my order page on NSG. Could either someone from NSG or someone who preordered early clarify this for me?
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there was a mistake on the pre-order site/page which NSG contacted them about and asked them to amend it. They changed it because the pre order will not get all the KS stuff. I remember a few people kicking off about it during or directly after the KS

I think

sorry, realised after you meant the NSG website, I was talking about another, separate company doing pre orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pre-order promo ended on June 1st and the related graphics and language were removed the following day. We forgot to remove that information on the Kickstarter page for a couple of weeks after that however, so we honored the promotion for those people who placed the order before that day.

Unfortunately the information for those orders has already gone to our distributors, so we're unable to modify or add shipments to the batch of games receiving the promo items.

We are going to be able to make some of those promo items available on our website in mid-to-late October, which is after the KS backers have received their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am sorry for the mistake, my order was made on april 25:

Thank you for placing your order with North Star Games!

This email is to confirm your recent order.

Date 04/25/2016

does this mean I will get kickstarter promo items?
Sorry again for the confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ordered in April you'll be receiving the KS items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay thanks for the clarification.

So it is normal that there is no notification concerning KS items on my order on your website and the confirmation e-mail?
All I can see is:
1x Evolution: Climate Stand-Alone - Evolution: Climate for $59.99 each

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolaj Cyon
Sweden
Lidingö
Lidingö
flag msg tools
When will the game arrive for KS backers in Europe, it wqas said August erlier but august has now ended...

locking forward to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Yeager
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NorthStar wrote:
The pre-order promo ended on June 1st and the related graphics and language were removed the following day. We forgot to remove that information on the Kickstarter page for a couple of weeks after that however, so we honored the promotion for those people who placed the order before that day.

Unfortunately the information for those orders has already gone to our distributors, so we're unable to modify or add shipments to the batch of games receiving the promo items.

We are going to be able to make some of those promo items available on our website in mid-to-late October, which is after the KS backers have received their games.

Any update as to when KS backers and NSG pre-orders will be shipped out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NorthStar wrote:

Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but what do you mean that you will make only "some of these promo items available on our website..."?

Are those who missed out the KS (like me) will not even have the option to get all the promo items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so my May 29th one is okay? Phew. This had me scared!

Excited for the game, and wish it was ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvader123 wrote:
Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but what do you mean that you will make only "some of these promo items available on our website..."?

Are those who missed out the KS (like me) will not even have the option to get all the promo items?

I was hedging a little bit before because I wasn't sure, but I'm confident now that we'll have every Climate KS promo item on our website. They're in limited quantities, but I believe we will have enough to last through the holiday season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to check in I pre-ordered the conversion kit on 29th May (as I missed the KS). Did that include the KS promos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Any update on when the pre-orders/KS will be shipped? And will there be a difference if you pre-ordered it before june 1st, shipping date wise (I pre-ordered 29th of march)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M&A O
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NorthStar wrote:

So pre-orders placed while the Kickstarter promo was still displayed on Kickstarter (after 6/1) will receive the promo items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
MangoNC wrote:
NorthStar wrote:

So pre-orders placed while the Kickstarter promo was still displayed on Kickstarter (after 6/1) will receive the promo items?

I think it had to do with what the www.NorthStarGames.com website said when you clicked on the "BUY" button. If it said you were getting Promo Pack III... then you'll be getting Promo Pack III! If it did not say that then you won't be getting it.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but you check with Jonathan to be sure. You can reach him by going to our website and clicking on the "Contact Us" tab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M&A O
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Dominic! There wasn't anything about promo pack III on the website when the order was placed, just on the KS page which linked to the website purchase page

I'll send an email to Jonathan to double-check our status -- and keep fingers crossed that we made the promo list. The game sounds awesome, and I can't wait to play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
NorthStar wrote:

Kudos to you guys for making that effort.

On another subject, and I'm not sure this is the right place to bring this up, but I must say that I am somewhat irked that promo material is being sold at BGG for evolution that is not included in the KS.
I am very new to this domain, so maybe this is totally standard practice, but I must say that something just doesn't sit right that we have not yet received our games (i have zero problem w that btw) and yet there is extra material already being sold to compliment it. In other words to have a complete set we need to buy extra cards for a game that does not exist for us yet. Not a big deal, just...doesn't feel right.

All the best to NSG and looking forward to receiving Climate Evolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
clovisIII wrote:
On another subject, and I'm not sure this is the right place to bring this up, but I must say that I am somewhat irked that promo material is being sold at BGG for evolution that is not included in the KS.
I am very new to this domain, so maybe this is totally standard practice, but I must say that something just doesn't sit right that we have not yet received our games (i have zero problem w that btw) and yet there is extra material already being sold to compliment it. In other words to have a complete set we need to buy extra cards for a game that does not exist for us yet. Not a big deal, just...doesn't feel right.

I'm sorry you feel this way. There are others that feel the same way so it's good for me to hear that point of view. It's a completely foreign point of view for me. Here is where I'm coming from. I've posted this many times before, but it's hard to reach everyone with the message.

The boxed version of our games are 100% complete. Nothing is needed to improve the experience. We collected feedback from about 300 people that included several thousand playtest experiences. If we had found ANYTHING to improve the experience, we would have included it in the box. My goal is to create games that work so well on every level that they get passed down to the next generation.

The promo items are NOT part of the game. They are promotional items intended to market the game. Please do not feel like you need to get them. In some cases the promo cards were not good enough to make it into the game (too complicated or not adding enough variety per rule). In some cases the promo cards were submitted by our Kickstarter fans and have NEVER been tested (though our development team discusses the merits of each submission for hours and hours on end to choose the best ones). Gigantism was designed and playtested many times by the design team back in 2013. It was not included in the base game because we wanted to keep the card types down as much as possible so as not to over-whelm new players. Which means we chose 17 other cards over Gigantism and included them directly into the final product.

Chad approached me in April 2016 and asked if we would create a promo card for Evolution to be sold in the BGG Store. As a rule of thumb, I wlil help the BGG whenever I can, especially if it helps my company in the process. I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Intagram, or anything else. The BGG is my online home. Here is a little known (and somewhat embarrassing) fact, I donate a percentage of my estate to 3 charities in my will: NPR, the collage I attended, and the BGG.

Anyhow, to sum it all up, the promo items should be purchased only if you've played the boxed version a bunch of times and would like to modify the experience to keep it fresh. It changes the experience. It does not improve the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
wow.
First off, thank you so much for your very detailed and considerate response. I don't write responses this detailed to my own mother, so I am very impressed with your thorough response to a complete stranger on the innerwebs.
So I will do my best to respond in kind.
Just to be clear, when i said I was irked, it is definitely in the "oh darn, I just missed my subway. No biggie, there's another one coming in 3 minutes" type of irked. Not in the passive aggressive internet way.
I do understand the thinking of "The boxed version of our games are 100% complete" and as a KS backer, I fully understand that when I am getting a bunch of extras, they do not make the game 'more complete' (I have yet to sit down at a gaming table, where someone pulls out a promo and claims "THIS....is a game changer").
Where the irk comes in, and maybe our different perspectives, is probably best summed up in your recap: "Anyhow, to sum it all up, the promo items should be purchased only if you've played the boxed version a bunch of times and would like to modify the experience to keep it fresh". as I said, we haven't recieved the game yet (once again zero problem w that) and NSG is already selling items for those who have played the game a bunch of times.blush
realistically, I play games once a week in a game group. It will take very conservatively a good year before I have played Climate evolution a bunch of times, and want to make it fresh again. Will the promo still be around then? I know that the promos to some of the games that I have enjoyed over the years are no longer available.
Why not use one of the many extra cards that were available in the KS as a promo card (though I'm pretty sure in that case you would be getting a bunch of mail from KS backers howling that that was terribly unfaircool )?
As I said to start off, I am relatively new to gaming, very new at KS (you can thank Catherine Hamilton for my pledge), and totaly unknowledgable when it comes to how promos work. But why not use just one of the KS cards to promote the game at BGG, conventions, etc in that way those who did KS don't feel that they have to shell out more bucks to be completionists, and those who did not KS do get a promo goodie that they did not have before. I am sure you guys know what you are doing, just thought you would appreciate another point of view.
All the best, and once again thank you for your very considerate response.
clovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Korinek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
Hello Jonathan,
the same question here. Yesterday I received Evolution Climate, but without KS items. I preordered the game 15th May so since the promo ended 1st June I should received it. Or maybe I am wrong?
I am talking about promo of 42 trait cards, 9 scenario cards, mini expansion...which is still on Kickstarter page and which I believe I ordered with base game via NSG page even it was not sure from your confirmation email regarding my order.
Thanks for reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.