BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Scythe or Eclipse? [edited] or Spartacus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
slaw x.
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi Folks,

Which of these two would you choose Scythe or Eclipse (with 1st expansion)?

In my group we have already played:

1. GOT - was too long, and we got bored after 7-8 games,

2. Blood rage - it was a very good game not too long and not too heavy, it might have been a little longer and heavier, and with 5 player expansion it becomes too expensive

3. Shogun - we played it a lot, it has a sweet spot of length and weight,

4. Terra Mystica - I think this is a very good game, however we didn't played it too much, I think it might be slightly too complex and it has no fight.

So considering our experience and preferences which one of the two would you choose?

Cheers,
Slawek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scythe or Eclipse?
I do not see Sci- Fi love in the games played so far, I vote go for Scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go back to Terra Mystica. Thank me later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aeegik norstvv
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I think I'd like both, haven't played Eclipse, but played Scythe a few times.

Poll
Scythe or Eclipse?
Scythe
Eclipse (with 1st expansion)
      95 answers
Poll created by Geert Vinaskov
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Both games have asymmetric factions.

- Eclipse is MUCH longer. I will say that 4-player Eclipse is 3+ hours, while 4-player Scythe is 1½ hours.

- Combat is MUCH more important in Eclipse. Combat is something to do at opportune moments in Scythe, it is not the basis of a main strategy.

- Scythe is basically a Euro. Places somewhere between Terra Mystica and Eclipse in feel, but closer to the former.

- Both games are very very good.

Overall, I would recommend Scythe based on what you wrote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Both games are awesome. The most significant difference is play time. Eclipse is roughly 50 minutes per player for experienced players. Scythe is about 25 minutes per player for experienced players. This means Scythe is MUCH easier to get to the table.

Both games have a big emphasis on resource management. Eclipse is somewhat more brutal in its combat with a level of randomness through the dice.

If you want Terra Mystica with easier mechanics and more combat this more or less equals Scythe. Get Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Barzaghi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Among the games you played I only played GoT once, so I can't really compare them to scythe or eclipse. However, here are some differences (imho obviously) after playing both games:

- scythe is a race, you should be really careful not to waste any actions, because at the end of the game just 1 or 2 objectives still not completed can cost you a lot
- combat is a minor aspect in scythe (it's an easy way to complete a couple of objectives, but other than that it can be more harmful than useful). In Eclipse combat is way more frequent and interesting (I like it a lot to modify and upgrade my ships to account for all the different strengths/weknesses of my opponent), and not too random (once you invest in shield/computers).
- Race powers in eclipse look more interesting to me, and there's more variety since you never use all the aliens (unless you want to play it with 8 other people).
- if you want a real 4x game, just buy eclipse, scythe is practically a 2x game (there's no exploration, nor extermination).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe, but it's not inexpensive to find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmb
I own both games and like both games for me the difference is:

Eclipse, race to center, race to beat up/fight/destroy the other players before they do it to you. Combat is a way to gain victory points, however combat is at the end of a round which often means your opponent moving in ships to reinforce while you do the same to add numbers. Big dice filled combat fun!

Scythe is still pretty new to me, it feels like a more thinky game. What do I need to do now so I can do X later feeling.

In the end I'll keep both games, other than that they are euro-y and have fantastic player mats to manage resources they scratch different itches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse has more variation and is easier to customize - between all the expansion modules, the various races, etc.

Combat is also more in depth and more interesting (the ship blue prints are an excellent design) in Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
slaw x.
Poland
flag msg tools
thanks for the recommendations!

I was leaning toward Eclipse if it comes to the gameplay, however if it comes to the length and weight scythe seems more interesting.

does anyone of you know or suppose if the preorder price of scythe should be lower or higher than the regular internet price? what is the usual pricing policy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slawas2001 wrote:

I was leaning toward Eclipse if it comes to the gameplay, however if it comes to the length and weight scythe seems more interesting.

does anyone of you know or suppose if the preorder price of scythe should be lower or higher than the regular internet price? what is the usual pricing policy?

My vote is for Scythe as well.

There is a basic "retail" version that goes for about $80 if you can find a copy in the stores. Online it's more like $55, but most likely out of print at the moment. Don't worry, is being reprinted. But it won't be available until later this year (October?)

Depending on what you want as far as components, you can get Everything that came with the Kickstarter version, but you would have to purchase a couple of things separately from the publisher's website. The extras are:
1) metal coins
2) realistic resources
3) map extension
4) some promo cards (on BGG store)
5) coffee table art book (if you're interested in that)

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Good question. I think I'd like both, haven't played Eclipse, but played Scythe a few times.

Poll
Scythe or Eclipse?
Scythe
Eclipse (with 1st expansion)
      95 answers
Poll created by Geert Vinaskov

That is currently the most useless poll ever! (it's dead-even at the moment, in case you are visiting us in the future)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slawas2001 wrote:
Hi Folks,

If length is an issue, why are you even considering Eclipse?

Quote:
2. Blood rage - it was a very good game not too long and not too heavy, it might have been a little longer and heavier, and with 5 player expansion it becomes too expensive

The 5 player expansion isn't necessary, although I do enjoy the game with 5 players.

Quote:

4. Terra Mystica - I think this is a very good game, however we didn't played it too much, I think it might be slightly too complex and it has no fight.

This one is fairly similar to Eclipse, only without the combat and a shorter play time.

Quote:
So considering our experience and preferences which one of the two would you choose?

Honestly, neither. Of the two, I much prefer Eclipse, but it sounds like you don't want something long, and at its shortest, Eclipse is 4 hours. Scythe is a decent game, but it fell kinda flat for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
slaw x.
Poland
flag msg tools
pacman88k wrote:
slawas2001 wrote:

My vote is for Scythe as well.

There is a basic "retail" version that goes for about $80 if you can find a copy in the stores. Online it's more like $55, but most likely out of print at the moment. Don't worry, is being reprinted. But it won't be available until later this year (October?)

Depending on what you want as far as components, you can get Everything that came with the Kickstarter version, but you would have to purchase a couple of things separately from the publisher's website. The extras are:
1) metal coins
2) realistic resources
3) map extension
4) some promo cards (on BGG store)
5) coffee table art book (if you're interested in that)

Hope this helps!

Actually,
We are expecting Polish edition in October. However, it's already available in preorder/presale about 200 copies with -20% discount for about 70USD. It's still quite expensive , and I was wondering if the price is going to be better later in October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
slaw x.
Poland
flag msg tools
agentkuo wrote:
slawas2001 wrote:
Hi Folks,

Quote:

The 5 player expansion isn't necessary, although I do enjoy the game with 5 players.

Quote:

This one is fairly similar to Eclipse, only without the combat and a shorter play time.

Quote:

Honestly, neither. Of the two, I much prefer Eclipse, but it sounds like you don't want something long, and at its shortest, Eclipse is 4 hours. Scythe is a decent game, but it fell kinda flat for me.

I think GOT is quite heavy game and can last more than 6 hours. It's too long. We played very long games in the past like eg. Struggle of Empires and it was a lot of fun and lasted about 6-7 hours. But the sweet spot for us is only about 3-4 hours with 5 players like in Shogun.

I've read many times Eclipse is not that long for what it is, and was mentioned with Shogun. That's why I asked the question/posted this thread. Maybe I was wrong.

I should also mention I liked Terra Mystica, and it's not a very long game but my group was not very fond of it. I'm not sure why. Maybe not enough fighting and too heavy rules are in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse is an awesome balance of combat, economy building, and exploration. My group loves it, but the first four player game is about 3 hours. We play a game in about two hours now. I think it is a much better thematic area control game. Scythe is good,but at its core it is an efficiency race game. Plus it is hard to get. Easy answer is get eclipse and play it for 6 months, then get scythe for much cheaper than its going for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slawas2001 wrote:
agentkuo wrote:
slawas2001 wrote:
Hi Folks,

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think GOT is quite heavy game and can last more than 6 hours. It's too long. We played very long games in the past like eg. Struggle of Empires and it was a lot of fun and lasted about 6-7 hours. But the sweet spot for us is only about 3-4 hours with 5 players like in Shogun.

I've read many times Eclipse is not that long for what it is, and was mentioned with Shogun. That's why I asked the question/posted this thread. Maybe I was wrong.

I would say once you know the rules, Eclipse is about an hour per player. Although I did finish a 3-player game in about 2 hours 45 minutes, I probably wouldn't play with 3 again. 4 seems to be the sweet spot.

It's a great game, though! I definitely recommend it.

Quote:
I should also mention I liked Terra Mystica, and it's not a very long game but my group was not very fond of it. I'm not sure why. Maybe not enough fighting and too heavy rules are in it.

If you liked Terra Mystica, I think Eclipse shares similarities with it, and if your friends were looking for combat, well, Eclipse has that.

Eclipse might be the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging by the replies and poll you have to get Scylipse ,obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmb
I would say, forget about all these games and get Forbidden Stars before it goes out of print. Seriously, I think it blows these other games out of the water. I actually got rid of Eclipse recently because we always play FS when we want to play a space game. Scythe is a good game, but it is much more mechanical than I think you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Heidenreich

Palm Bay
Florida
msg tools
Well scythe doesn't have plasma missiles....so go for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soulyogurt wrote:
That is currently the most useless poll ever! (it's dead-even at the moment, in case you are visiting us in the future)
Well, the obvious conclusion to take from the poll: Get both games! They're equally great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
soulyogurt wrote:
Well, the obvious conclusion to take from the poll: Get both games! They're equally great!

Actually, I take it as Eclipse slightly beating Scythe, as Eclipse doesn't have that new hotness shine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
And so it begins...
mb
From OP's description I'd recommend Scythe. But for me, Eclipse is way way waaaay better (*personal taste reasoning activated*)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
slaw x.
Poland
flag msg tools
hm.. I've just found out we will have Spartacus Polish edition soon! This might have been the best choice - what's you opinion about this one? Eclipse some time later probably arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.