Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are somewhat cryptic as to the supply status of ground units. If a unit is found out-of-supply during the end-phase would it retain that status throughout its next turn's movement phase? The game doesn't provide any "out-of-supply" markers, so I'm assuming that supply is checked at the instant it would be required, such as declaring combat. In short, is there any "supply memory" or does it affect a unit only during specific game functions? (i.e. end-phase, combat declaration, defender supply status, etc)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the fluid nature of the design makes the logistical aspects of GS pretty interesting. My understanding is that supply checks need only be performed prior to declared combat between ground units; and also during the End Stage of a game turn, for every ground unit.

No markers are included but it also doesn't hurt to keep track of isolated units. I've sometimes added my own markers as a memory aid for the End Stage.

The supply situation for a unit could change a number of times during a game turn and the interruption of supply lines through tactical movement and/or air interdiction is really a key strategy in the ground game. I recall that solo play of the small (but rather frustrating) Scenario Four provided some good insights into this.

Supply status does not affect movement capability (caveat: movement of isolated units between the Operational and Strategic maps is not allowed) but it does affect the ability to 'declare combat'. Maneuvering to isolate a target hex as a prelude to the Assault segment is an important tactic. But a unit that places itself in an isolated position during movement would be unable to participate in such an assault, since it may not declare combat during that Initiative segment.

It is worth noting also, that Reserve movement during the Reaction segment only permits a reserve to enter a "declared combat situation" which prevents the possibility of making a counter-move to isolate attacking units.

The End Stage supply check is really just used as a means of applying a Hit to units that remain isolated after the turn, so markers can be helpful here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. Indeed, the way you describe it is how I've been playing the supply rules. And yes, "out-of-supply" markers could be useful as a mnemonic devise.

Also, as a side note, I've noticed that any (infantry) units in a mountain-hex devoid of roads would automatically be out of supply, unless a supply-depot was also in that hex. I noticed that while playing Aegean Strike, and after trying to outflank the enemy through a mountain hex lacking a road, I realized that my infantry unit in the mountain was now out-of-supply and unable to declare combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, thanks for the tip, yes these subtle conundrums in maintaining effective combat supply only become clear when actually playing. It's probably a blessing that supply does not affect movement too.

I remember having issues with maintaining supply to islands, particularly the airbase on Qeys (3557) from which Iran can exert control over the Gulf Straits. It's a component of the victory conditions in Scenario One and figuring out a way for the US to finally take it was also quite an interesting problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkbelly wrote:
I remember having issues with maintaining supply to islands, particularly the airbase on Qeys (3557)

I wonder if that's why they added "special-rule #18" (Coastal Supply to Islands) in the Gulf Strike Scenario Update (9L). That rule is in itself rather vague (for instance does it only cover 1-hex islands or also multi-hex ones) but it allows you to trace a supply-line of 20 hexes (I'm assuming operational-hexes) out form the island to a friendly port with less than 10-hits, and without passing through a hex adjacent to an enemy naval unit. This rule could have been really useful in Aegean Strike as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's interesting... I have the GS Update booklet around somewhere but I don't recall seeing that one. It would indeed solve the supply problem.

There was an errata thread I put together some years back where I tried to capture all the updates to the original rules, and also mentioned my questions with island supply:

<Gulf Strike Errata>

I also added a section on the Aegean Strikes rules that were flagged as "different" from Gulf Strike. I thought it was specific to Aegean but I'm glad if it's a carry-over from an update. Not quite the same rule it seems... <Below quote from Aegean Strike>

27-R6. Supply Lines.
A supply line can be traced from a Supply Source that is a port along a path of 4 unmined all-sea or coastal Strategic Hexes (or 40 Operational Hexes) to a Supply Depot on a coastal hex. This supply line may not pass through a hex occupied by or within the Surface Detection Range of an enemy unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkbelly wrote:
I also added a section on the Aegean Strikes rules that were flagged as "different" from Gulf Strike.

Cool Thanks!

Yeah I feel that "Special Rule #18" is meant primarily for "coastal island", which would be ones that are close enough to friendly shores that enemy interdiction would require more concentrated effort. While the Aegean Strike sea-supply rules really require you to neutralize enemy submarine units before you can use it effectively; submarine units have very long surface detection ranges (2 strategic-hexes/22+ operational-hexes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.