GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,306 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone watching this? I just noticed it was on Netflix and have wanted to read the book but never got around to it. I am on episode two so far and it's good so far although it seems a little slow paced. Would like to hear from anyone who read the book and is watching the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I think both book and show should be consumed for the atmosphere more than the plot...both are quite fun in that regard IMO.

I really liked the performances of the main and supporting characters in the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

here's my take on the book vs film

book... sucked

film... pretty good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched it last year when it first ran on some TV network. I quite liked it. Probably liked it better than the book, which is rare for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the chorus of 'loved the show, never read the book'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the first episode last year and then it just fell off my radar. I'll have to give it a go again.

I very much enjoyed the book but realize that it was a overly long and dry affair that manages to make magic completely prosaic, but I guess that is kind of the point. I found the world building to be exceptional. An interesting vision relentlessly reinforced buy the sheer volume of footnotes. I enjoyed the characters for the most part as well.

I cannot think of a single person I know that I'd recommend the book to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would have made a great movie. As is, it's slow but worth watching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the book. I just finished Ep. 2, and I love the miniseries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You know, like, for realsies.
badge
Vaughn had always been a good student, but now it seemed as though he mastered his lessons too quickly.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the plot of the book, but the extra 400 pages were pretty unnecessary and while it served to give more atmosphere to the narrative, it did not add more than it detracted in pacing.

The TV show was awesome. It was just about everything I loved about the book without all the chaff. That said, there were some odd changes between the book and show that didn't really make sense and impacted negatively on specific characters, which I was upset about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the book was awesome. Like, really really good.

The miniseries was very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the book, but it was slow. Maybe it had to be slow to build atmosphere like it did, but it was too slow for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So gave this one a try after this thread (I mean, hell, worked out incredibly for 'Stranger Things', which I'd also passed up...)

Gotta say...what the frack is Netflix doing with these shows? NEITHER were advertised even *remotely* in a way my wife or I would be interested in, and we'd for sure have never tried them if not for my stumbling on some threads, here, that made them sound interesting.

Both have easily become two of our favorite stories of the past...eh, wow, it's been a while.

In its defense, Netflix did give this one a probable-five-star rating for my wife (although it was much lower for 'Stranger Things', for some reason) - just nothing about the preview pics/blurb/etc of it sold it well enough to get our attention.

Annoying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
So gave this one a try after this thread (I mean, hell, worked out incredibly for 'Stranger Things', which I'd also passed up...)

Gotta say...what the frack is Netflix doing with these shows? NEITHER were advertised even *remotely* in a way my wife or I would be interested in, and we'd for sure have never tried them if not for my stumbling on some threads, here, that made them sound interesting.

Both have easily become two of our favorite stories of the past...eh, wow, it's been a while.

In its defense, Netflix did give this one a probable-five-star rating for my wife (although it was much lower for 'Stranger Things', for some reason) - just nothing about the preview pics/blurb/etc of it sold it well enough to get our attention.

Annoying...
I agree, their recommendations are kinda wacky. I am going to start relying more on threads here and word of mouth for shows to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
I enjoyed the book, but it was slow.

I gave up after a chapter or two. It seemed well written, but the glacial pace was killing me. I'll probably go back to it some time.

But maybe I'll check out the tv show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
I think both book and show should be consumed for the atmosphere more than the plot...both are quite fun in that regard IMO.

+1 to this.
It's been a while since I read the book but I remember enjoying it in that sense. If you've read any literature of the period it probably helps too, the style of it is a bit of homage or knowing, friendly parody. The series I watched a few months ago and thought was pretty good, it didn't capture certain aspects of that atmosphere at all but that would be impossible in a TV show. It did however do a great job with the characterisation and the plot.

Should add I hardly read any fantasy. The fact i read the whole thing is probably an indication of something.... Although I'm not sure what!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.