Hide
7 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scenario lengts and end of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
So First scenario lists the goal: find a city. And explains how game ends after it.
But at same time you have a ti,e limit of 3 rounds. But I cant find how game end resolved if you simply run out of time. Can someone point a page nubmber.

Also another small question. Im feeling that clock ticking is just forces you to rush towards your goal and do almost no side activities.
How pressured players are in all scenarios? Is it resonable to play with no time limit and only end the game after reaching scenatio goal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had all the time you wanted you could just become an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction, which is fine, but there wouldn't be nearly as much challenge to it. I'd suggest keep playing the scenarios as written and you'll be surprised how much you improve with experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly the first few times I played solo, I played without a time limit. In fact, the rulebook even suggests you do that. But a time limit is key to making it work as a "game" because your character can never die, so you would always reach the scenario goal eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyrtt wrote:
So First scenario lists the goal: find a city. And explains how game ends after it.
But at same time you have a ti,e limit of 3 rounds. But I cant find how game end resolved if you simply run out of time. Can someone point a page nubmber.

It's right there on page 16, after Scenario End section, in the Scoring section: "Apply standard Achievements scoring. Whoever has the most Fame, wins. If tied, the players share the victory."

That's how things work for the various Conquest scenarios as well: if all cities are conquered before the clock runs out, the game ends and is considered a success; if the clock runs out, the game ends and is considered a failure; either way, points are scored and the game winner is the person with the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
Thanks. I just realised that there are coop scenarios and for them my question doesnt make any sense. They indeed need clock to make them work.
But I was mostly keeping in mind competetive scenarious like tutorial one. You will reach city anyway and there will be only one winner. But I just fear that it would be very aticlimatic to just run ouf of time and never achive competetive goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can house-rule that competitive scenarios don't end until the objective is done. However, in most cases, after 6 rounds there is one player in a much better position. It can be boring to continue with the game if the winner is clear.

Anyway, scenarios rarely end because of the number of rounds (except in the very first games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyrtt wrote:
How pressured players are in all scenarios? Is it resonable to play with no time limit and only end the game after reaching scenatio goal?
I've played my first (Solo) Conquest scenario after a long hiatus, yesterday.
When the third & last Day started, I got a bit nervous and hurriedly explored the remaining tiles to find the two cities and get a peek at the defending units. I.e. I ignored all of the interesting sites that would have delayed me.

Conquering the weaker of the two cities required two attacks and left me badly bruised just before the final Night began.

I then spent three turns recruiting, accumulating mana crystals and healing before I sprinted over to defeat the second city. After about an hour(!) of carefully planning my turn, I managed to beat all four units in a single attack, taking only a single (alas, poisoned) wound.

The Dummy players deck still had 12 cards left, so I would apparently have had time to explore some more before concentrating on the city.

I don't really think it would have made much of a difference in points, though, since I scored 17 points for finishing the scenario early.

Playing without any kind of time limit probably doesn't make much sense except when you're still learning how to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.