Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi all!

I'm considering grabbing either Coup + This or Coup: Rebellion G54, and am sort of torn. It looks to me like the main difference is multiple roles (and no more asymmetric blocking) vs the faction thing.

How much do the factions add to the game? I realize this is an opinion question, but that's what I'm looking for!

Thanks!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the factions. They are a great addition to the base game. They are easy to learn and teach, even to new players, and provide a lot of extra options.

The G54 is another story. I really like it, and with all the roles you have a huge amount of variation. The downside is that with each new game you wind up having to explain how the role works. Depending on your play group, and their familiarity with Coup, this can be a burden.

With regular Coup you can just shuffle and play. And the factions in reformation give you a lot more to work with.

With G54 you need to choose the roles, explain the roles, and then shuffle and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Wahlsten
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not teaching the game to new players, I always play with the factions. It's such a simple concept but it adds a lot to the game and I feel like there are better opportunities to actually manipulate other players, since you can change their faction and so on.

It also removes the "oh who should I start being a mean to in this game?" problem that always arises. With the faction, you have a actual reason to be try to hamper a particular player.

EDIT: Haven't played G54, mostly because it seems like a hassle and removes the core charm of regular Coup, which is it's simplicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.